U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 06:19 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,880,422 times

Advertisements

Dirk is one of my personal favorites, I'd love to see him get a ring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 06:58 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,364,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Wonder if Danny Ainge is kicking himself 100 times over for trading away Perkins, why on earth would he hedge his bets on Shaquille Oneal at this stage in his career? Hands up, who isn't surprised Shaq would be an injured non-factor for the playoffs? ME ME ME!
Yeah I said last year that the Cavs signing him was silly as he was done then, this year even moreso.

I am curious of your opinion though, do you think the Cs would have had beat the heat w/perk? I think they would have no doubt, been more competitive, but I don't see perk getting them enough productivity to beat the Heat.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:04 AM

51,945 posts, read 41,806,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Yeah I said last year that the Cavs signing him was silly as he was done then, this year even moreso.

I am curious of your opinion though, do you think the Cs would have had beat the heat w/perk? I think they would have no doubt, been more competitive, but I don't see perk getting them enough productivity to beat the Heat.
Perkins departure had a multiplying impact IMO. Perhaps just call it a disruption of chemistry but I personally feel the series would have been close enough to call a coin flip with him still there instead of the exit.

Regardless, WHO IN THIER RIGHT MIND makes a "long term" move like the Perkins trade when the core of your team is aging this fast? This HAD to be the year for the Celtics and Ainge etc. decided to straddle the fence and we know where that got them poked.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:08 AM

Congratulations to the Heat for advancing. I know they are a polarizing team but they've fought through a lot this season and while I think they are still missing some pieces for THIS YEAR, I have ZERO doubt they will win a championship in the next 4-5 years unless something bizarre happens.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post

Not necessarily, but I think the series could have been stretched to 7, in which case anything goes. Shaq is far too unreliable at this point to think that Perkins was dispensable; personally I really think THIS year was the Celtics last run so to speak, so at least keep Perkins until this season's end and worry about what to do with him in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Perkins departure had a multiplying impact IMO. Perhaps just call it a disruption of chemistry but I personally feel the series would have been close enough to call a coin flip with him still there instead of the exit.
Perkins' departure easily hurt team chemistry. In fact there was a show a few weeks ago regarding the Celtics 2011 road back to the finals, and the trade was a prominent topic during the show. The move CLEARLY impacted them, even beyond what Perkins contributed stat-wise and in intangibles( toughness, post defense), the Celtics really felt like they had lost a brother and it was painfully evident that they weren't pleased with Ainge's decision. Hell Doc was in tears, Rondo said he had lost his best friend on the team. Remember, in 2008 Rondo and Perkins were the two upstarts in the lineup next to the first ballot HOFers Pierce,Garnett, and Allen, so a natural bond was forged out of that.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Congratulations to the Heat for advancing. I know they are a polarizing team but they've fought through a lot this season and while I think they are still missing some pieces for THIS YEAR, I have ZERO doubt they will win a championship in the next 4-5 years unless something bizarre happens.
I think they have a legit shot to win it all this year. The Chicago series will be interesting, but I would say that Miami has had to raise their level of play to a much higher level in order to beat Boston, while Chicago hasn't had to bring their A-game to beat either Pacers or Atlanta. They will have to raise their level of play.

Simply put, playing against Boston's defense has to some extent prepared them for Chicago, while Chicago getting away with winning with their 'B game' will not work against Miami, not with Wade and Lebron on the team. I think the key for Miami is to negate Chicago's rebounding advantage, so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried having Lebron play more in the post to give them that extra rebounder inside, and to put pressure on Deng to defend him in the post. If Lebron plays the slasher role, that plays more into Chicago's defensive schemes. Boozer is going to have to be much better than he has shown( which harkens back to my point some months ago about Boozer's so-so playoff performances). Haslem is back as well, while rusty he gives them that extra rebounding and defensive toughness. I think this will be a great series. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if you see alot of this lineup:

C- Bosh
PF- Haslem
SF- Lebron
SG- Wade
PG- Chalmers

I think that's their best lineup rebounding-wise and defensive-wise.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:54 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
I don't see the Mavs losing to the Heat or Bulls in the Finals especially if they play the Buls because they will have to play 3 straight games in Dallas

Old 05-12-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't see the Mavs losing to the Heat or Bulls in the Finals especially if they play the Buls because they will have to play 3 straight games in Dallas
Anything's possible at this point. Lakers are out, Boston is out, Spurs are out... us armchair analysts are looking mighty silly right now with our predictions. I'm just happy we're going to see a new champion.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I think they have a legit shot to win it all this year. The Chicago series will be interesting, but I would say that Miami has had to raise their level of play to a much higher level in order to beat Boston, while Chicago hasn't had to bring their A-game to beat either Pacers or Atlanta. They will have to raise their level of play.

Simply put, playing against Boston's defense has to some extent prepared them for Chicago, while Chicago getting away with winning with their 'B game' will not work against Miami, not with Wade and Lebron on the team. I think the key for Miami is to negate Chicago's rebounding advantage, so I wouldn't be surprised if they tried having Lebron play more in the post to give them that extra rebounder inside, and to put pressure on Deng to defend him in the post. If Lebron plays the slasher role, that plays more into Chicago's defensive schemes. Boozer is going to have to be much better than he has shown( which harkens back to my point some months ago about Boozer's so-so playoff performances). Haslem is back as well, while rusty he gives them that extra rebounding and defensive toughness. I think this will be a great series. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if you see alot of this lineup:

C- Bosh
PF- Haslem
SF- Lebron
SG- Wade
PG- Chalmers

I think that's their best lineup rebounding-wise and defensive-wise.
The Bulls don't win "pretty" very often. They win by grinding opponents down.
I think the Heat will do just fine with their starters but the Bulls bench and it's size and their willingness to throw wave after wave of bangers into the paint will be a challenge for the Heat.

While Boozer is not carrying the weight of his contract and has struggled at times, it's important to note that he only plays about 30min per game and is maybe the 3rd option offensively but averages close to a double double on a team that is slower paced and defensive minded. He doesn't have to be dynamic for the Bulls to win, I personally consider him the 4th best player on the Bulls.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:22 AM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Quote:
Anything's possible at this point. Lakers are out, Boston is out, Spurs are out... us armchair analysts are looking mighty silly right now with our predictions. I'm just happy we're going to see a new champion.

The Mavs or Heat will not let Rose continusly get to the basket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or