Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:47 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,488,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A group of five men who are 7 feet tall who have never played basketball in their lives, would need about a week of practice in order to beat a team of very good 5'8" players. It would simply be a game of keep-away and slam-dunk that the tall guys can't lose. Keep-away and Slam-dunk might be the game Americans want to watch, but I bet they'd like basketball, too.
Height is an obvious advantage in basketball, but no way could a team of 7 footers, who have literally never played the game beat a team of skilled guards after one week of practice. They have to be able to get the ball down the court before they can just slam it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Height is an obvious advantage in basketball, but no way could a team of 7 footers, who have literally never played the game beat a team of skilled guards after one week of practice. They have to be able to get the ball down the court before they can just slam it down.
They can pass the ball from one player to another, holding it high over their head, until the get to where they can just drop it through the net. You obviously did not grow up with a big sister who was 6 years older than you.

Your guards could keep fouling them, assuming they wouldn't make many free throws, but they'd get all their offensive rebounds on missed FTs and drop them in. That would even save the tall guys the trouble of moving the ball down the court.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:37 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
I've read the OP about 6 times and all I can think of is......

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
this just sounds over thought, kind of a pain to police, and well just dumb.
....................yeah, this.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:36 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
This would make a great article for the Onion.....

I can't wait to see the weight limits for NFL players.

"Yes, the Dallas Cowboys with an inventive new play call has fielded 27 players weighing 150lbs. They sent 8 guys deep and used 18 guys to block."

"Meanwhile, Michael Phelps the unfairly gifted swimmer with size 17 feet has been forced to amputate the last 4 inches of each foot or be forced to retire from the sport. This unfair advantage of his has been a source of national shame for Australia, a stain upon the sport no doubt."

No doubt spilling over to other aspects of life like letting the "slow kid" from school become an air traffic controller...."Aw planes go boom, Stevie sad. Look a butterfly!" <clap clap clap>

Old 04-21-2011, 07:36 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,088,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

"Yes, the Dallas Cowboys with an inventive new play call has fielded 27 players weighing 150lbs. They sent 8 guys deep and used 18 guys to block."

"Meanwhile, Michael Phelps the unfairly gifted swimmer with size 17 feet has been forced to amputate the last 4 inches of each foot or be forced to retire from the sport. This unfair advantage of his has been a source of national shame for Australia, a stain upon the sport no doubt."

No doubt spilling over to other aspects of life like letting the "slow kid" from school become an air traffic controller...."Aw planes go boom, Stevie sad. Look a butterfly!" <clap clap clap>
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Mathguy again.

planes go boom, classic

Old 04-21-2011, 07:43 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:

post of the year

Old 04-21-2011, 04:35 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
No, Toxic, not like women's basketball. Women are a much smaller talent pool of physically strong and fast athletes. Track and field marks are ample and indisputable proof of that. And women's basketball suffers from exactly the same effect, in which women of average height are at a severe disadvantage, so only women from the very tall margin of the talent pool participate at higher levels. I've seen a lot of girls HS basketball games, and the girls I saw in the WNCAA playoffs are not much better than the ones I saw in Kansas high schools. They're just taller. Their outside shooting skills are no better, and they are not faster, nor better ball handlers..

Rigas, it would be extremely simple to police. There are only five players on the floor, each one wearing a visible height code. It would be the burden of the opposing coach to be vigilant and protest if the players are too tall. It would take ten seconds of a bench assistant's time. I don't know why you think it is "dumb" to have a multi-skilled game that can be played by talented athletes of all statures, and not just the freaks who can slam dunk or dominate rebounds.

There are about 400 players in the NBA. There are at least 4,000 players who are potentially just as good, but never get a chance to show or develop their play. Why do you think it is dumb to expand the talent pool at least tenfold, maybe a hundred-fold. Did basketball become a better game, when we expanded the talent pool to include blacks?
Sound like a great idea..............................for a rec league.

Serioulsy I want to see the best athletes in the world PERIOD WITHOUT any height restrictions.

Derrick Rose doesn't seem to have any problem being in the NBA.

Why?

He is a suprerbly talented athlete who has dramatically improved his game. Chris Paul, Darren Collison and Rajon Rhondo are also shorter player that are currently doing great in the NBA.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:39 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:

So Mathguy can't comprehend such an utterly simplistic numeric concept of there still being 5 players on the basketball team or 11 players on the football team. Oh, well, back to the flash cards for you. I hope your knees fit under the desk. For someone who has me on 'ignore', you're sure paying a lot of attention to my topic.

If you've ever seen a football game, you might have noticed that only about half the positions have a distinct weight advantage. And if youve ever seen ANY sport, you will see that conditioning and trainiing can result in increased weight, but not increased height, so restricting weight would militate against acquired body strength.

Why don't you guys go over to the boxing and wrestling forums, cast childish insults against the organizers of those sports who classify competitors according to their size. Present convincing arguments that a 135 pounder should be able to beat a 235 pounder, based purely on acquired skills, and it's stupid to have weight classifications.

If there are any grownups reading this, please help me explain that I offered this idea as an alternative league, which would not require any surgical amputations in the general population.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-21-2011 at 05:00 PM..

Old 04-21-2011, 05:01 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
I'd like to see track and field 4x100 meter relay teams where the total of their body mass index has to be at least 150.

Would it be wiser to have equal four pudgies or to have three total slobs but a ringer running anchor after them in hopes of catching the final pudgy from other team?

Old 04-21-2011, 05:06 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
And if youve ever seen ANY sport, you will see that conditioning and trainiing can result in increased weight, but not increased height
Negative. Rigas and I have had many debates in the UFC forum over fighters who cut height before a fight just to look smaller at the weigh-ins, before drinking water to get taller again.

Carwin cut from 6'5 to 6'2 before the Lesnar fight, and I think it cost him when he got caught in the arm-triangle at the end. Hell Silva supposedly walks around at 6'4 between fights.

The worst was when Shogun cut too much height and showed up for the fight with Jon Jones at 5'9 instead of his usual 6'1. It affected his reach too, remember how they showed he had to cuff his jeans twice? Dumb move.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/568235/shogun-jones-wi-sd.jpg (broken link)

Also of note was the time that Choi guy from Korea managed to put on a foot of height before the Fedor fight:

Sadly it impacted his stamina too much and Fedor prevailed, especially after Choi sweated down to 5'11 by round 3.

Last edited by slackjaw; 04-21-2011 at 05:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball