U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:57 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times

Advertisements

Has there ever been a discussion here about the idea of 30-foot basketball leagues? The ideas is that a team's five players on the court at one time cannot exceed a total of 30 feet in height. If you have a 6'6" player, you would need to compensate for his height with a 5'6" player.

The defect in basketball is that about 99% of the talent pool is virtually disqualified from competitive play, because short players can't compete against tall ones. The talent pool of athletes of sufficient height to play basketball is simply too tiny to produce enough highly-skilled players.

4A and 5A level high school players in Kansas have a higher free-thrown shooting average than the NBA. If HS players can shoot free throws better than NBA players, doesn't it stand to reason that they can do other things (not height-advantaged) better than NBA players, too, but thousands of better "players" are locked out of the game because of a height lack.

The 30-foot rule would be quite easy to police. Every player has an official height, and wears an indicator on his uniform that states his differential from the 6-foot average. For example, a 6'5" player would have a +5 on his uni, and a 5'9" player would ahave a -3. All that is needed is to add up those 5 numbers, and if there is a positive sum, the team is overheight.

This would be a wonderful thing to introduce at the level of large high schools, which have several hundred boys 9-12, only a dozen of whom will make the varsity team, mostly because they are tall, not because they are good. If a secondary 30-foot league were established, in which the tall players would lose their advantage, the overlooked talent would have a league of its own, and I predict the pace of the game and the skill level of the players would actually be more popular than the tall-boy game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 09:32 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,195,031 times
this just sounds over thought, kind of a pain to police, and well just dumb.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:08 AM

8,340 posts, read 14,097,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I predict the pace of the game and the skill level of the players would actually be more popular than the tall-boy game.
You mean like women's basketball?

Old 04-19-2011, 11:26 AM

No, Toxic, not like women's basketball. Women are a much smaller talent pool of physically strong and fast athletes. Track and field marks are ample and indisputable proof of that. And women's basketball suffers from exactly the same effect, in which women of average height are at a severe disadvantage, so only women from the very tall margin of the talent pool participate at higher levels. I've seen a lot of girls HS basketball games, and the girls I saw in the WNCAA playoffs are not much better than the ones I saw in Kansas high schools. They're just taller. Their outside shooting skills are no better, and they are not faster, nor better ball handlers..

Rigas, it would be extremely simple to police. There are only five players on the floor, each one wearing a visible height code. It would be the burden of the opposing coach to be vigilant and protest if the players are too tall. It would take ten seconds of a bench assistant's time. I don't know why you think it is "dumb" to have a multi-skilled game that can be played by talented athletes of all statures, and not just the freaks who can slam dunk or dominate rebounds.

There are about 400 players in the NBA. There are at least 4,000 players who are potentially just as good, but never get a chance to show or develop their play. Why do you think it is dumb to expand the talent pool at least tenfold, maybe a hundred-fold. Did basketball become a better game, when we expanded the talent pool to include blacks?

Last edited by jtur88; 04-19-2011 at 11:40 AM..

Old 04-19-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, Toxic, not like women's basketball. Women are a much smaller talent pool of physically strong and fast athletes. And women's basketball suffers from exactly the same effect, in which women of average height are at a severe disadvantage, so only women from the very tall margin of the talent pool participate at higher levels.

Rigas, it would be extremely simple to police. There are only five players on the floor, each one wearing a visible height code. It would be the burden of the opposing coach to be vigilant and protest if the players are too tall. I don't know why you think it is "dumb" to have a multi-skilled game that can be played by talented athletes of all statures, and not just the freaks who can slam dunk.
its dumb because not every nba player or euro player, or what ever form of pro player is 6' 10" tall. there are plenty of places for "the little guys" to play and if they had such amazing skills but height was their only downfall then height would actually not be a downfall. case in point, JJbarea not only is he like 5'8" but he is dating a miss world or universe or what not. or how about earl boykins? or muggsy bogues? you see if your skills are so good you can play with the big boys.

this sounds more like being the tallest midget, or the smartest ra-tard. its just not what anyone wants to see. i mean whos gonna to see a bunch of 5' to 6' tall guys play basket ball? i mean go to a high school game or something.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:11 PM

51,912 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
its dumb because not every nba player or euro player, or what ever form of pro player is 6' 10" tall. there are plenty of places for "the little guys" to play and if they had such amazing skills but height was their only downfall then height would actually not be a downfall. case in point, JJbarea not only is he like 5'8" but he is dating a miss world or universe or what not. or how about earl boykins? or muggsy bogues? you see if your skills are so good you can play with the big boys.

this sounds more like being the tallest midget, or the smartest ra-tard. its just not what anyone wants to see. i mean whos gonna to see a bunch of 5' to 6' tall guys play basket ball? i mean go to a high school game or something.
Oh dear god, I have Jtur on ignore from other forums for good reason. Actually, they are the only person I have on ignore on the entire forum.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Oh dear god, I have Jtur on ignore from other forums for good reason. Actually, they are the only person I have on ignore on the entire forum.
AHHHH one of those guys lol.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
there are plenty of places for "the little guys" to play and if they had such amazing skills but height was their only downfall then height would actually not be a downfall.

Plenty? PLENTY of places? The average height of American male adults is 177 cm. (5'9-1/2") There are exactly SIX places in the NBA for players under 177 cm, and all six are occupied. Of the 450 players on NBA rosters, there are 6 who are shorter than the average man. That's 1.3%. (Ask Mathguy to check my math on that. He must know something about SOMEthing.)

For the rest of the players from the under-average-height talent pool, there is no place. Their place is taken by 219 guys from the taller-than-average talent pool, who, overall, rank 226th-450th in ability, instead of the shorter guys who rank 7th-225th. But you don't want to see the short ones play, because you're so shallow, you feel cheated if you don't see a lot of slam-dunks.

More than half of all NBA games on a given night have exactly zero players below the average height of the American adult male. But there are planty of places for them, right?. Come back when you know what you are talking about.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-19-2011 at 06:50 PM..

Old 04-20-2011, 06:08 AM

ahhhh so we now have a troll with a Napoleonic complex?

once again, there are PLENTY of places for them to play, the nba isnt the ONLY pro basketball league in the world.

on a side note, why not have a 2200 lb weight limit for the nfl, so all those short guys who dont weight 250 lbs can get in the game over there too. or maybe a track and field competition for people who cant run as fast as usan bolt.

sounds to me like you just have something against taller people, maybe something against black people, or both? well im not black but i am taller and while i am a very good athlete, i am no where near as good an athlete as the people my height (6-1) in the nba. so in closing i say this is ridiculous idea that would make a complex game even more complex and would water down the talent pool of all leagues.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
ahhhh so we now have a troll with a Napoleonic complex?

once again, there are PLENTY of places for them to play, the nba isnt the ONLY pro basketball league in the world.

on a side note, why not have a 2200 lb weight limit for the nfl, so all those short guys who dont weight 250 lbs can get in the game over there too. or maybe a track and field competition for people who cant run as fast as usan bolt.

sounds to me like you just have something against taller people, maybe something against black people, or both? well im not black but i am taller and while i am a very good athlete, i am no where near as good an athlete as the people my height (6-1) in the nba. so in closing i say this is ridiculous idea that would make a complex game even more complex and would water down the talent pool of all leagues.
I am taller than the average American male. White American males are, on average, taller than black American males, by almost a centimeter. So my rule would benefit blacks more than whites. Your wild guesses, besides being irrelevant to the topic, are completely wrong. But that's OK, you don't come any closer when you have real data to use.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_height

I spent many years of my life watching lots of high school basketball, and there is no learned game skill that tall players can execute better than short players. Short players are even better at some skills, like dribbling and acceleration.

Please explain to me how it would "water down" the talent pool, to enable a larger number of players to compete.

A group of five men who are 7 feet tall who have never played basketball in their lives, would need about a week of practice in order to beat a team of very good 5'8" players. It would simply be a game of keep-away and slam-dunk that the tall guys can't lose. Keep-away and Slam-dunk might be the game Americans want to watch, but I bet they'd like basketball, too.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-20-2011 at 09:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or