U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Lakers or Mavs
Lakers 9 60.00%
Mavs 6 40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:18 AM

207 posts, read 308,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
As much as the Lakers didn't finish give the Mavs credit for not quitting. A team can give you an opportunity to win but as an opponent you have to be good enough and hungry enough to take advantage. The Mavericks did.
No argument here, anytime a team can win the first two games on the road of a playoff series and position themselves to win the series deserve all the credit in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 07:29 AM

207 posts, read 308,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The team is a little older and have a really really bad bench once you get past odom. As a result, they have a harder time with maintaining consistancy.

Kobe can't play heavy heavy minutes while giving his all at BOTH ends of the court like he used to be able to do.

This isn't saying they aren't still the team to beat, but rather a frank assessment that this team is arguably weaker than in the past few years. If anyone can take advantage or that, we will just have to wait and see....so many of these games can hinge on a single lucky shot.
As was stated last night during the game, that with Boston being 0-2, the Spurs being eliminated in the first round, and now the Lakers being 0-2, the NBA appears to be evolving into a new era. These are aging teams with alot of playoff milage and its taking its toll. Should the Lakers go down in this series, as a Lakers fan, there is no reason to be bitter. Given what has taken place this past decade, with 5 titles, the Lakers have overwhelmingly achieved more than any fan could expect. I applaud the Los Angeles Lakers for what they've accomplished.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:44 AM

51,995 posts, read 41,835,728 times
The magic numbers from last nights game are 30 & 12. Thats the amount of pts. each teams bench scored.

The Lakers are the champs until they are beat.
However, people trying to resurrect ghosts of Mavs past like 2006 are fooling themselves. This is a DEEP veteran team that plays defense...Dirk and Terry are the only guys still around from before. Chandler, Kidd, Marion, Peja and others were added.

Gratz to the Mavs so far.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:02 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,882,339 times
Quote:
This is a DEEP veteran team that plays defense...Dirk and Terry are the only guys still around from before. Chandler, Kidd, Marion, Peja and others were added.

Gratz to the Mavs so far.
There-in lies the difference. This is a deep with tons of playoff experience and less likely to crack under pressure. The Mavs of years past would have cracked when the Lakers would start making a run. Not this year it would seem.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:38 PM

51,995 posts, read 41,835,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
There-in lies the difference. This is a deep with tons of playoff experience and less likely to crack under pressure. The Mavs of years past would have cracked when the Lakers would start making a run. Not this year it would seem.
Yeah I plead guilty to not following the Mavs much at all in a while. I sat down and looked at their roster and was like.....dammmmn. They have as much talent on the squad as any team in the playoffs, they play D and they have a deep bench.

I absolutley 100% overlooked the MAV's, focusing too much on the East and the Lakers & Spurs.

If the Lakers go on to win the series then hats off to them. I look at thier bench and it's a freakin' wasteland. If Kobe were 3-4 years younger he could carry the team more at both ends but that's not the case. He is doing pretty much all he can to cover the Lakers holes.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:44 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,202,672 times
Quote:
Yeah I plead guilty to not following the Mavs much at all in a while. I sat down and looked at their roster and was like.....dammmmn. They have as much talent on the squad as any team in the playoffs, they play D and they have a deep bench.

I absolutley 100% overlooked the MAV's, focusing too much on the East and the Lakers & Spurs.

If the Lakers go on to win the series then hats off to them. I look at thier bench and it's a freakin' wasteland. If Kobe were 3-4 years younger he could carry the team more at both ends but that's not the case. He is doing pretty much all he can to cover the Lakers holes.
the thing is the mavs are stacked with a bunch of guys who have never done a thing with the exception of dirk and kidd. marion is about as over rated as tehy come, peja and chandler are walking wounded, haywood and stevenson are 2 of the main factors behind the wizards terrible seasons. terry talks better then he plays in the playoffs. until they get over the hump officially i will always count them out.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:50 PM

7,559 posts, read 11,901,289 times
Artest is out for Game 3 - Phil's probably glad the way he was playing.

NBA playoffs 2011: Ron Artest of Los Angeles Lakers banned 1 game for flagrant foul - ESPN Los Angeles

Old 05-05-2011, 03:09 PM

920 posts, read 1,532,036 times
If you notice, Kobe has to rely on his outside shot FAR more than his ability to drive to the rack. Tells me his explosiveness is gone or greatly diminished. He's gotten older and now Kidd can do a good job containing him when he doesn't have to worry about KB getting past him. Gasol isn't capable of playing out of the paint in terms of guarding Dirk, who can take the ball to the hole against any of the Lakers bigs. It's always about matchups and now they favor the Mavs...

Old 05-05-2011, 04:42 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,551,639 times
Default Lakers are done

They've had a good run and now it's over.

Artest is out for game three. He has not been a scoring threat. He's very inconsistent and not good offensively. Artest a liability on offense, can't guard Dirk on defense, and foul-prone. He seems out of place with the Lakers, better suited for a physical team that uses intimidation to compete.

Lamar Odom. Odom makes great explosive moves to the basket only to fail to finish. So many times, he maneuvers between two defenders to get to the basket, only to miss. He too is not consistent. He still reminds of a guy who is listless and lazy, with a cavalier attitude. Can't guard Dirk.

Andrew Bynum. I thought the Lakers should've gotten rid of him and Artest a long time ago. He looks like a lumbering, slow-minded liability out on the floor. Occasionally, he gets the ball up close and makes a lucky shot or slams one home. His knees are shot and he's on borrowed time. After the game 2 loss, I heard him blame others for the loss...not a team player and certainly not something to say as a member of a team.

Gasol. He seems to have regressed this season. Not as explosive or creative with his shots. He doesn't have the same kind of intensity. It appears like he's called it in already.

Bryant. Anybody else notice that he appears skinnier and more frail? He seems to get more winded and there are stretches during the game where he is not a factor and doesn't seem to be calling for the ball. Kobe showing his age a bit and maybe the urgency to win the title again is not there as before.

It just generally appears like the Lakers will not make it past the Mavs. They don't match up well with them and Dirk can't be stopped. They need to make some changes in the off-season. Artest and Bynum should be discarded. Fisher is history. Time for Odom to get the boot as well. Phil Jackson will not be back, so time to rebuild. It was a good run, but now it's over.

Old 05-05-2011, 05:13 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,338,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
I've got plenty of experience as an NBA fan to know that only a very naive Laker homer would think that Los Angeles has nothing much better than a prayer of coming back to win this series. Check out how many teams have come back to win a series after dropping the first two at home. It's pretty close to zero.
Pheonix did it in 1993
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or