U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Lakers or Mavs
Lakers 9 60.00%
Mavs 6 40.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 06:11 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Lakers in a hole once again
0-1 isn't a hole, but if they fall down 0-2 heading back to Dallas..... somehow I suspect Dallas would choke such a lead away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 10:33 AM

10,963 posts, read 8,051,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Not likely. Dirk's game is perimeter-based, if the Lakers put Gasol on him that would take him out of the painted area, which LA doesn't want. Artest will be physical with him, which is the best way to defend Dirk.
Artest doesn't have the size to defend Dirk. Dirk would just shoot over him all day long. Gasol HAS TO defend him.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
No I didn't!

Lol - I want my fix of Aguirre, Tarpley, Donaldson, Blackmon and the gang.
Not to mention Brad Davis, and Detlef Schempf. Those were heady days for Mavericks and they were a fun team to watch.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I did get a little insight from Barkley after the game, although I usually just listen to him for entertainment......the Lakers big advantage has been Bynum and Gasol playing together. Against the Mavs they cant do that because neither of them can guard Dirk. That means they have to sub one of them out for a defender, usually Odom. What that does is even the playing field, taking away the twin tower advantage. The Mavs have to defend Kobe, which they did a decent job of, even though Kobe shot a good percentage. The other Mavs advantage is their bench is much better than the Lakers bench.
Good assessment what many people don't take into consideration is that the Mavs have one of the best shooting teams in the NBA and it's not just one or two guys capable of scoring about 15 to 20 points a game. They have about four guys that are capable of scoring 15 to 20 points a game.

The key to the Lakers winning this series is DEFENSE. If that Lakers don't defend well Dallas can win this series.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I also think it's indicative of the one thing that really separates Kobe from Jordan( and I've said it here before): Kobe in 15 seasons still struggles to find a balance between when to go into hero scoring mode, and when to distribute/facilitate. Dirk can't guard Gasol( the reverse is true as well), so if I was the Lakers I would be pounding it inside. Gasol 10 shots? Ridiculous!
I think Dirk is a much better defender than people give him credit for. I also think it's tougher for Gasol to guard Dirk than the other way around. Dirk can score anywhere from 30 feet on in and if Gasol tries to come out and gaurd him close Dirk can put it on the floor and take it to the hole. Gasol offense is primarily from 15 feet on in. I also think because Dirk is the primary scorer for Dallas he's much more aggressive offensively then Gasol who defers sometimes too much so to Kobe Bryant.

If Gasol doesn't have at least three 20 point games in this series the Lakers are in trouble. Another key to this series is going to be the play of Lamar Odom. His combination of size and quickness is tough to match. I think Rick Carlisle made a brilliant move putting Corey Brewer into the lineup. The guy has the length and quickness to guard Odom and he's a defensive minded player who can score on movement without the ball.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotchildintheCity View Post
With all due respect to the Mavericks, the Lakers lost this game because they didnt finish. This game couldve been over midway into the 3rd quarter, after the Lakers went on that run that started late in the 1st half which continued into the 3rd quarter. At that point they were up by something like 16 points. The way they were playing during that stretch, it couldve been up to 25 had they continued to play aggresively. Lakers have a tendency to lose focus, we saw that in the first round. The Lakers bring in their A game, they will not have a problem beating this team.
As much as the Lakers didn't finish give the Mavs credit for not quitting. A team can give you an opportunity to win but as an opponent you have to be good enough and hungry enough to take advantage. The Mavericks did.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:09 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
As much as the Lakers didn't finish give the Mavs credit for not quitting. A team can give you an opportunity to win but as an opponent you have to be good enough and hungry enough to take advantage. The Mavericks did.
Why give the Mavs credit for anything?

I mean, the Lakers are supposed to win. Even the OP said "this one should be easy"....

Old 05-04-2011, 11:44 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,906 times
Quote:
Artest doesn't have the size to defend Dirk. Dirk would just shoot over him all day long. Gasol HAS TO defend him.
The Spurs used Bruce Bowen often to defend Dirk. Not because of his size( obviously he was undersized) but because he had the ability to 1) stay in front of him which many Power forwards can't and 2)was able to muscle him away from the basket. Dirk is a 7 foot jumpshooter; Artest can muscle him out of the paint and at least force him to shoot from outside all game long. It's a bit of 'pick your poison' with Dirk, admittedly. I recall several years ago( maybe around 2004-2005) Tmac guarded Dirk for stretches in the playoffs and had some success. I think this lends a bit of credence to the theory that Dirk is better defended with smaller, quicker defenders in the 6'8-6'10 range, than expecting a 6'11 260 lb power forward to chase him around the perimeter.

Quote:
I think Dirk is a much better defender than people give him credit for. I also think it's tougher for Gasol to guard Dirk than the other way around. Dirk can score anywhere from 30 feet on in and if Gasol tries to come out and gaurd him close Dirk can put it on the floor and take it to the hole. Gasol offense is primarily from 15 feet on in. I also think because Dirk is the primary scorer for Dallas he's much more aggressive offensively then Gasol who defers sometimes too much so to Kobe Bryant.
Dirk isn't a 'bad' defender; not anymore. I would say yes, Dirk could probably guard Gasol better than vice versa, but neither really has a hope of really guarding the other when they're in their comfort zones.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Why give the Mavs credit for anything?

I mean, the Lakers are supposed to win. Even the OP said "this one should be easy"....
They WON that's why. Now will they win the series? I honestly don't know but a win ON THE LAKERS HOME COURT sure as hell beats getting blown out by 20 points.

Also the win exposed a few things. Aside from Kobe at the guard position the Lakers have extremely weak defenders. Defensively Gasol has trouble playing Dirk. If somebody besides Lamar Odom on the Lakers bench doesn't score the Lakers are going to have problems winning. Also if the Mavericks concentrate on shutting down the other four guys on the court they have a shot a winning no matter what Kobe does.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:48 PM

51,912 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Quote:
0-1 isn't a hole, but if they fall down 0-2 heading back to Dallas..... somehow I suspect Dallas would choke such a lead away.
0-2 and Dallas wins this series.

This is in no way the no-D inexperienced Mavs of years past. They are a dangerous team that plays defense and has a lot of veterans.

I still think the Lakers are the better team overall but in a 7 game series with narrow margins of victory stuff happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or