U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 06:17 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,198,016 times

Advertisements

Why not? How many years did Phil Jackson win it with superior teams? I'm sorry but if you have guys like jordan and Pippen on your team or Kobe and Shaq all during their prime than your wins are not based on coaching but rather by elite players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 08:09 AM

320 posts, read 621,290 times
Some people are saying that if D. Rose would've gotten hurt the bulls wouldn't have won 62 games. This may be true, however, Rose alone couldn't will this team to 62 wins by himself. It was the Defense that kept this team in close games and Rose closed it out. With that said, I will give Thibs all the credit for the bulls tenacious defense. Without it, even as great as Rose played this season, they wouldn't have won 62 games.

Just think about it. This team haven't lost 3 in a row all season. They beat every team in the league at least once. They only loss one game in their division. They held most opponents to only 93 points or less during the season. They only lost 5 games at home and 26 out of 41 away games. They had one of the toughest schedules in the league. Not to mention that they didn't even have Boozer and Noah on the floor at the same time for most of the season and they still won 62 games.

If that not due to great coaching, then I don't know what it is. I've watched just about every Bulls game this season and it wasn't ALL about D. Rose like most people think.

Thibs deserves this award more than any coach this season. He's a freakin' genius IMO.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:41 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,369,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post
Some people are saying that if D. Rose would've gotten hurt the bulls wouldn't have won 62 games. This may be true, however, Rose alone couldn't will this team to 62 wins by himself. It was the Defense that kept this team in close games and Rose closed it out. With that said, I will give Thibs all the credit for the bulls tenacious defense. Without it, even as great as Rose played this season, they wouldn't have won 62 games.

Just think about it. This team haven't lost 3 in a row all season. They beat every team in the league at least once. They only loss one game in their division. They held most opponents to only 93 points or less during the season. They only lost 5 games at home and 26 out of 41 away games. They had one of the toughest schedules in the league. Not to mention that they didn't even have Boozer and Noah on the floor at the same time for most of the season and they still won 62 games.

If that not due to great coaching, then I don't know what it is. I've watched just about every Bulls game this season and it wasn't ALL about D. Rose like most people think.

Thibs deserves this award more than any coach this season. He's a freakin' genius IMO.
And I still feel that the COY and MVP should not be on the same team. It should be one or the other because it's too easy of a decision to award the star player and coach whose team had the best record

Old 05-16-2011, 09:17 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,403,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
And I still feel that the COY and MVP should not be on the same team. It should be one or the other because it's too easy of a decision to award the star player and coach whose team had the best record
I completely disagree. Not just winning, but how you win. Look at the games, even Derrick Rose didn't win the games by himself.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:25 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,884,371 times
Quote:
Are you saying it's impossible to have the best player and the best coach at the same time? Is a great player more responsible for making a good coach look great, or can a great coach harness the abilities of a very talented player and teach them to be truly great?

Old 05-18-2011, 07:52 AM

52,066 posts, read 41,872,746 times
Let me lay it out there, the Bulls have the #1 defensive team in the league and yet they only have ONE guy on the ALL-defense team (Noah 2nd team).

Rose and Boozer are "ok".

I frankly believe that the Bulls have some grossly overlooked defenders (deng) but it also speaks volumes to the coach using deep rotations and preaching rebounding and defense.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:01 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,198,016 times
Why not? He got a team to mesh well. Phil Jackson won awards with stacked teams.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Why not? He got a team to mesh well. Phil Jackson won awards with stacked teams.
Yeah, Phil won once.
Clearly they like to pass the award around. I think Riley was the last one to repeat and that was back during the Reagan administration.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:39 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,369,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Are you saying it's impossible to have the best player and the best coach at the same time? Is a great player more responsible for making a good coach look great, or can a great coach harness the abilities of a very talented player and teach them to be truly great?

Yes I think the award should go to a coach who has made improvement from the curent season and it should have been Doug Collins. His team was 3-13 to start the season and made the playoffs as a 7th seed. No brainer. MVP as much as it pains me to say it went to the right guy

Old 05-18-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Yes I think the award should go to a coach who has made improvement from the curent season and it should have been Doug Collins. His team was 3-13 to start the season and made the playoffs as a 7th seed. No brainer. MVP as much as it pains me to say it went to the right guy
They started the season with some brutal road trips totalling 10 of their games in your 3-13 statistic. They finished 41-41.

The Bulls started 9-8 and went on to the best record in the NBA.

Collins finished 2nd in voting but by no means was it a "no brainer".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball