U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-07-2011, 09:55 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Reputation: 9451

Advertisements

If that ball hits the front of the rim and the Bulls lose what do you think happens?

Do the Bulls still win 3 titles before 1994?

Are the Cavs the team who beats detroit in 91?

Do the Pistons win another title before 1994?

Do the bulls return back to the playoffs the next season?


Usually with shots like that it either turns a franchise in the right direction or breaks a franchise up so I always wondered what would have become of the Cavs if that shot was not made by MJ.

 
Old 05-07-2011, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,365,433 times
Reputation: 3070
I doubt a single shot in 89 would effect anything that happened in the 90s. Unless somehow bulls management decided to give up on MJ and trade him because he hypothetically missed that shot, I doubt much would have changed at all.
 
Old 05-07-2011, 11:48 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I doubt a single shot in 89 would effect anything that happened in the 90s. Unless somehow bulls management decided to give up on MJ and trade him because he hypothetically missed that shot, I doubt much would have changed at all.
Well something would have been different because instead of 3 titles it would have been 2 or maybe less since he was going to retired in 1993. So maybe they don't get over the hump until 1992 instead of 1991.
 
Old 05-07-2011, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,881,013 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well something would have been different because instead of 3 titles it would have been 2 or maybe less since he was going to retired in 1993. So maybe they don't get over the hump until 1992 instead of 1991.
Huh? I'm not following you here. The shot over Ehlo was in 89.....make or miss, this doesn't impact the fact that the Bulls didn't win the title that year. They would have either lost to the Cavs, or they would have lost to the Pistons( which is what happened). Let's say the Cavs move on, I don't see that team beating the Pistons.

I don't see any impact whatsoever on the events of 91,92 and 93 when the Bulls won it all.
 
Old 05-07-2011, 12:52 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Huh? I'm not following you here. The shot over Ehlo was in 89.....make or miss, this doesn't impact the fact that the Bulls didn't win the title that year. They would have either lost to the Cavs, or they would have lost to the Pistons( which is what happened). Let's say the Cavs move on, I don't see that team beating the Pistons.

I don't see any impact whatsoever on the events of 91,92 and 93 when the Bulls won it all.
The Bulls didn't win the title that next year but they also dont reach the ECF. So I'm saying that the growth of the franchise would be delayed and then brought to a halt since MJ was going to retire in 1993
 
Old 05-07-2011, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,881,013 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The Bulls didn't win the title that next year but they also dont reach the ECF. So I'm saying that the growth of the franchise would be delayed and then brought to a halt since MJ was going to retire in 1993
That's purely speculative to say that this shot would alter the course of history in the manner you suggest. What if Kobe Bryant in 1997 hadn't airballed those shots against Utah in the playoffs? Would the Lakers have won have won the next 10 NBA championships?

This is just a baseless 'what-if' scenario. So you're saying that shot would prevent the following: Jordan from further developing as a player... Phil from coaching the team.... Pippen from developing into one of best all-around players.... Grant from develop into a decent Power Forward...the Pistons from aging.... Magic from contracting HIV and retiring..... Jordan's father from being murdered.... and so on? One missed shot in 1989, affects the entire course of history? It has ZERO bearing on the seasons that followed. Jordan missing the shot would have had the same impact as what actually DID happen that year: the Bulls didn't win the title. The only difference? The Bulls would have been eliminated by the Cavs, as opposed to the Pistons. We could apply the 'what if this happened' scenario to just about anything. Suppose Jordan didn't retire in 1993. Do the Bulls win 8 straight as is often said? Suppose Jordan missed the shot in 1998 against Utah in the finals. Does he retire, or play another season? Do the Spurs win in 1999, if they didn't does Tim Duncan win anymore titles? Would he win in 2000 instead of the Lakers? What if Kobe had stayed with Charlotte? What would the last 10 years have looked like? What if Karl Malone hadn't gotten injured in 2004, does the Lakers still lose to the Pistons? If they win, does Shaq still leave for Miami? How would that impact the the 2006 finals? It would have been someone other than the Heat playing the Mavs. Does Dirk win in 2006, who would he be playing if not the Heat? Pistons? This can go on for infinity.....

What if Dr. James Naismith hadn't been born? Then we likely wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

Last edited by Roman77; 05-07-2011 at 01:54 PM..
 
Old 05-07-2011, 01:51 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
That's purely speculative to say that this shot would alter the course of history in the manner you suggest. What if Kobe Bryant in 1997 hadn't airballed those shots against Utah in the playoffs? Would the Lakers have won have won the next 10 NBA championships?

This is just a baseless 'what-if' scenario. So you're saying that shot would prevent the following: Jordan from further developing as a player... Phil from coaching the team.... Pippen from developing into one of best all-around players.... Grant from develop into a decent Power Forward...the Pistons from aging.... Magic from contracting HIV and retiring..... Jordan's father from being murdered.... and so on? One missed shot in 1989, affects the entire course of history? It has ZERO bearing on the seasons that followed. Jordan missing the shot would have had the same impact as what actually DID happen that year: the Bulls didn't win the title. The only difference? The Bulls would have been eliminated by the Cavs, as opposed to the Pistons.

What if Dr. James Naismith hadn't been born? Then we likely wouldn't be having this discussion at all.
Of course his father would have still been murdered in 1993 which is why I asked do you think it would less titles before 1994 due to the delay in getting over the hump. Who knows what changes the bulls office makes if that shot over ehlo hits the front of the rim.
 
Old 05-07-2011, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,881,013 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Of course his father would have still been murdered in 1993 which is why I asked do you think it would less titles before 1994 due to the delay in getting over the hump. Who knows what changes the bulls office makes if that shot over ehlo hits the front of the rim.
Exactly...who knows. There's nothing to say that a missed shot in 1989 would have prevented things from turning out as they did. Think about it: the Bulls didn't win in 1989 period. So what happened? Phil Jackson is brought in to coach. This is likely to happen whether Jordan made the shot and lost to the Pistons( what happened) or if he missed the shot and was dismissed by the Cavs( your hypothetical situation). It all leads to the same conclusion: The Bulls don't win that year, and the ripple effect of that is a change occurs( in the coaching). Jordan will still get better, Pippen will still get better, Grant will get better, so on and so on. The result will ultimately be the same.

Last edited by Roman77; 05-07-2011 at 02:13 PM..
 
Old 05-08-2011, 07:14 PM
 
Location: CLEVELAND OHIO
434 posts, read 779,460 times
Reputation: 234
I believe that it would have changed everything in Cleveland sports history..... The universe has a funny way of working.... Hopefully Peyton Hillis can reverse the curse so to speak...
 
Old 05-08-2011, 07:19 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy eyes 1979 View Post
I believe that it would have changed everything in Cleveland sports history..... The universe has a funny way of working.... Hopefully Peyton Hillis can reverse the curse so to speak...
What' sad is that Ehlo did everything right on that last play and that bastard still hit it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top