U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:04 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,361,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Lamar Odom was clearly moving toward Dirk Nowitzki when he hit him, so that wasn't merely a hard pick. I do agree Odom's hit, while intentional, wasn't really out-and-out thuggery like Bynum's foul was. Odom got ejected because things were getting very chippy and tense at that point in the game and he clearly meant to physically run into Nowitzki.
Yeah this is how I saw it too. If it wasn't a blow out in a series ending game, I doubt Odom gets kicked out. You see this in the NHL when a series is over, guys will start taking cheap shots and the refs jump on it to nip it in the but. It clearly wasn't successful though with what Bynum did like a minute later (it might of been the next possesion, it wasn't long after).

So I understand the rationale behind ejecting Odom, but it wasn't even close to the same level of what Bynum did.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:05 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,179,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Yeah this is how I saw it too. If it wasn't a blow out in a series ending game, I doubt Odom gets kicked out. You see this in the NHL when a series is over, guys will start taking cheap shots and the refs jump on it to nip it in the but. It clearly wasn't successful though with what Bynum did like a minute later (it might of been the next possesion, it wasn't long after).

So I understand the rationale behind ejecting Odom, but it wasn't even close to the same level of what Bynum did.
I agree that the Pistons were the worst but yesterday was ridiculous. At least Odom stated he got caught up in it and he was wrong. Bynum showed that he was a piece of garbage. It doesn't matter if the guy was small, it matters that his intent was to hurt him. What a piece of crap! Sore loser!

Old 05-09-2011, 08:14 AM

3,029 posts, read 7,186,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Let me guess, you are 9 years old.

Their leader is a rapist? Shut the hell up

Odom's shot wasn't even cheap, the league, Mavs are all punks so you can't set a hard pick. Bynum was a cheap shot.
Add 50 years to your guess and you'd be correct. The first pro Dallas basketball team I watched in person was the Dallas Chaparrals.

If you don't know what a cheap shot is, now I'm questioning YOUR age, among other things.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:25 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,323,635 times
Nah Detroit and Boston are dirtier. Rondo alone injured two guys in one series.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:24 PM

7,208 posts, read 8,378,454 times
The Lakers are not the dirtiest team of all time, but Andrew Bynum is definitely a dirty player..

Check out this shot he laid on Michael Beasley earlier this year..

YouTube - Lakers vs Timberwolves Andrew Bynum's Flagrant Foul on Michael Beasley March 18 2011 (HQ)

Old 05-09-2011, 12:37 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,050 times
^ And look at the other Lakers reaction after the play...like 'yeah...and what?!'

They deserved yesterday's ass-kicking.

Edit: On another note, I just read that Kobe got voted onto another first team all-defense. Ridiculous....... he is not an all-NBA first team defender at this stage.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:38 PM

207 posts, read 308,311 times
The NBA playoffs have always been known to get physical. In this case it appeared to be out of frustration. Boys will be boys. Its not any different than baseball players getting beaned for showing up the other team. Benches clear, punches thrown, it happens. The same with football. Unfortunately it just part of the game which happens and will continue to happen in the heat of battle when many times individuals don’t use the best of judgment. Ideally you want teams to win and lose with class and politeness during games, but that will not always be the case. Face it these arent choir boys. And lastly you cant blame the organization for the actions of one or two individuals. Only blame the organization if it happened frequently.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:25 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,361,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotchildintheCity View Post
The NBA playoffs have always been known to get physical. In this case it appeared to be out of frustration. Boys will be boys. Its not any different than baseball players getting beaned for showing up the other team. Benches clear, punches thrown, it happens. The same with football. Unfortunately it just part of the game which happens and will continue to happen in the heat of battle when many times individuals donít use the best of judgment. Ideally you want teams to win and lose with class and politeness during games, but that will not always be the case. Face it these arent choir boys. And lastly you cant blame the organization for the actions of one or two individuals. Only blame the organization if it happened frequently.
This is pretty well said. Obviously Bynum was out of line, but you can tell how many people were just salavating to come on here and talk trash about LAL. I don't think Phil was in Bynums ear saying "take a cheap shot, then whip your shirt off at half court," nor was Jerry Buss or anyone else for that matter.

I read Bynum will be looking at a 10 game suspension to start next season, it is deserved. Acting like everyone in the Laker organization is scum is off base however.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:13 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,012,541 times
The NBA is a dirty league period. The league really needs to work on its image before it's too late.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:45 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,193,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
The NBA is a dirty league period. The league really needs to work on its image before it's too late.
why do you say this? the nba as a whole does a pretty good job. things like "nba cares" and "basketball without borders" are HUGE programs that really only the nba does. you dont see the nfl doing the things the nba does to help out communities.

and before we get into the whole "the nba is full of criminals and thugs" like these things always do, the nba doesnt have a site specifically made to document all the crimes of its players.

NFL Crimes NewsBlog

wow, ELEVEN "crimes committed by nfl players, wives or coaches in the month of april ALONE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or