U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 03:46 PM

8,566 posts, read 9,711,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I have watched basketball since Havlicek played for Boston and have never seen such blatant cry baby unsportsman like conduct from any team like Bynum and Odom displayed today in Dallas for the LA Losers. Down 30 points in a 3-0 series and they revert to thuggery! I suppose it's Dallas' fault that the Lakers just plain $ucked!!
I hope those two clowns get slapped with $100,000 fines and get suspended for the first 30 games next year. Nice way for Phil Jackson to go out and fitting given the classless scumbags he's coached over the last few years.
I would suggest that since this was a playoff game, then their suspension should be for the next best of seven 'their team' plays. Regardless of the team on which they are playing.

In other words, they carry their penalty with them until sentence is resolved. To give them motivation to play fair and to play good. Which, in actual, should result in no team wanting them around.

I was watching the LA - Houston game the day Washington punched Tomjanovich in the face nearly ending T's career as well as his life. There's no room in sports for that crap. Interesting, Washington was playing for L.A. at the time.

Last edited by Willsson; 05-09-2011 at 03:54 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 04:04 PM

8,563 posts, read 8,932,872 times
I dont blame the Lakers, but Bynum is a chicken $hit. He needs to go on Bully Beatdown!!

Old 05-09-2011, 04:08 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,168,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
why do you say this? the nba as a whole does a pretty good job. things like "nba cares" and "basketball without borders" are HUGE programs that really only the nba does. you dont see the nfl doing the things the nba does to help out communities.

and before we get into the whole "the nba is full of criminals and thugs" like these things always do, the nba doesnt have a site specifically made to document all the crimes of its players.

NFL Crimes NewsBlog

wow, ELEVEN "crimes committed by nfl players, wives or coaches in the month of april ALONE!
To be fair, there are four times as many active NFL players as there are in the NBA. Plus, there are about three or four times as many coaches in the NFL. The proportion of crimes to players/coaches is probably similar.

Also, I think the NFL does community outreach and donates a lot to charity. I don't know the extent. I would guess that certain teams do more than others within both leagues...

Old 05-09-2011, 04:19 PM

207 posts, read 309,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
This is pretty well said. Obviously Bynum was out of line, but you can tell how many people were just salavating to come on here and talk trash about LAL. I don't think Phil was in Bynums ear saying "take a cheap shot, then whip your shirt off at half court," nor was Jerry Buss or anyone else for that matter.

I read Bynum will be looking at a 10 game suspension to start next season, it is deserved. Acting like everyone in the Laker organization is scum is off base however.
Theres no question that Bynum was out of line and deserves and expects some punishment from the NBA. He just made a foolish mistake, hopefully he will learn from this incident and move on. As far as the trash talk, its all propaganda from Laker Haters taking advantage of the situation. Its to be expected and doesnt bother me any. It wont taint in any way shape or form how I feel about the Lakers and what they've accomplished.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:29 PM

927 posts, read 1,213,362 times
Dirtbags tend to gravitate toward Los Angeles. The Lakers have a long history of signing that type of player. It's seems to be apart of the team ethos to have at least two or three degenerates on the team at the same time. This year's team is no different. I hope the league throws the book at that big, stupid, overhyped slug of a center they have.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:41 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,236,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
To be fair, there are four times as many active NFL players as there are in the NBA. Plus, there are about three or four times as many coaches in the NFL. The proportion of crimes to players/coaches is probably similar.

Also, I think the NFL does community outreach and donates a lot to charity. I don't know the extent. I would guess that certain teams do more than others within both leagues...
yes i realize there are more players and coaches BUT the proportions are not even close. the most recent nba news of any player, coach, wife former player what ever to be found was jalen rose DUI over a month ago. before that, hmmm delonte wests crazy ass gun charges? i mean it is not even close. the nfl has 1696 players total, the nba had 432 last year so the 4x is about right BUT the nfl again had eleven cases involving the police, jail, court and so on IN ONE MONTH. if it where proportionate then there should be 3 nba cases per month as well.

as to the community stuff, the nfl leaves it up to the teams to do things, the nba does things as a league so the posters argument that the whole league is dirty is pure BS.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:54 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,937,906 times
Just clearing up some loose ends regarding my previous post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
Routine? That was not routine...if it was routine, you wouldn't be seeing benches clear like you did. Benches don't clear on routine fouls. This was classless thuggery, period. I didn't think it was possible, but I lost even more respect for the Flakers. Phil needs to retire and get as far away from this team as he can. But the dirtiest team in history? No way.
By routine, I meant that hard reckless fouls are guaranteed to happen if one team were getting their doors blown off & the other team's still playing as if they're down by 10 with 1:30 left. I have no problem with Dallas trying to bury LA and I have no problem with LA doing things "the 80s way."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Rambis got what was coming to him. He was another dirty scumbag LA thug.
The difference was the refs saw a lot of physical back and forth with the Celtics and the Lakers in CLOSE games. When you're down 3-zip in the series and down 30 points in the game it's not a hard physical foul its a fri&&in cheap shot...period. McHale was the recipient of a cheap shot himself by Oakley in the payoffs in 1986. What comes around goes around but today was just thumbsucking by Odumb and Bynumb they should both be thrown off the team but I guess you must like basketball from da hood???
1st off, please don't insult me with the "White guy trying to type hood" routine. That's ugly.

I've heard what Magic said about Odom & Bynum's fouls and I call BS on that dude. He's just playing for the ABC/ESPN audience because 1) the guy's from Lansing, MI and I know they played rough when he was coming up & 2)He's from the 80s era, the guy knows about the NBA unwritten rules from the 80s...

Like I said earlier, this is how they played: You're the 2 time defending champion and you have pride but you're getting your doors blown off. You've admitted defeat but and the other team's in the mindset that they're down 10 with1:30 left and you're just supposed to let their point guard just have an easy lay in like that? Tell the floor that I said hi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotchildintheCity View Post
The NBA playoffs have always been known to get physical. In this case it appeared to be out of frustration. Boys will be boys. Its not any different than baseball players getting beaned for showing up the other team. Benches clear, punches thrown, it happens. The same with football. Unfortunately it just part of the game which happens and will continue to happen in the heat of battle when many times individuals donít use the best of judgment. Ideally you want teams to win and lose with class and politeness during games, but that will not always be the case. Face it these arent choir boys. And lastly you cant blame the organization for the actions of one or two individuals. Only blame the organization if it happened frequently.
Exactly. It's funny that MLB has about 200 unwritten rules (like a pitcher will hit a guy just for walking across the pitcher's mound) and everyone's expected to just accept it. It's ironic to be honest. I heard an interview with Rick Mahorn this morning & he was cool with it. Honestly, all of the current NBA players know how playoff basketball is. The pump fake isn't just utilized to avoid getting your shot blocked, you know?

Old 05-09-2011, 05:04 PM

366 posts, read 678,310 times
Default The Bad Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Definitely not. Pistons of the 80s were far worse.
The Lakers play like a bunch of first graders compared to the 1980s - 90s Detroit Pistons "Bad Boys" with Bill Lambeer, Rich Mahorn, Dennis Rodman, Isiah Thomas, Vinnie "Microwave" Johnson, Joe Durmars, Adrian Dantely, Mark Aguirre, et al.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:15 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,898,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Alleyne View Post
you're just supposed to let their point guard just have an easy lay in like that? Tell the floor that I said hi.

Bynum was in a position to make a play for the ball. He could have at least attempted to go for the block. He clearly had no interest in doing anything but giving a cheap shot, since the Lakers by that point obviously had no other way to stop the Mavs. So what did he do? Hit Barea while IN THE AIR, which could have led to all kinds of serious injury scenarios. There's a difference between a 'good, hard playoff' foul, which is still usually SOME kind of attempt to make a play for the ball,and what Bynum did. You don't do your best impression of a UFC fighter, just because your team has failed to keep the opposing team's guard out of the lane. Here's an idea: PLAY BETTER DEFENSE.

And no, he wasn't sending a message either. What message? The game at that point was WELL out of reach. The only thing he accomplished was disgracing the Lakers uniform, and the organization. This was Phil Jackson's last game, one of the most decorated coaches in sports history. He deserved a better send-off....

Old 05-09-2011, 05:40 PM
JL

7,356 posts, read 11,939,309 times
Looks like this thread keeps on going. My take is that after Odom got ejected, Phil should've called a timeout to either take the starters out or at least tell them to not end the game with cheapshots. He should've told them to not end his last game like this. He obviously didn't. Phil is partly to blame for this. He is the head coach and should take the lead in corraling his players. We know what happened next..

Don't know if you guys noticed, but after Odom's hard foul on Nowitzi, Bynum was clapping or something. He looked happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or