Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:47 AM

252 posts, read 258,361 times

Advertisements

Kobe injury is blessing in disguise. Now the front office has the excuse they need to let him walk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 07:04 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
This has been possibly the worst injury bug in Laker history. They've lost 171 games I think this season and almost every single player on the team has sat out at some point. The luck is even worse when you consider this was supposed to be the ONE year to "court" Dwight Howard. There was some hope this season towards the end when they finally seemed to get it together. But with Kobe being out till most likely after the start of next season I don't see him sticking around.
No offense but that wasn't bad luck.

The minutes heaped on Kobe in his what? 17th 18th season?

Howard coming in off back surgery.

Nash and Artest over the hill and with injury issues....Gasol too.

I noted before in a thread started claiming the Lakers would win it all this year that they are an extremely OLD team. This wasn't bad luck. Westbrooks injury....Roses injury....now that is bad luck.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:36 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
No offense but that wasn't bad luck.

The minutes heaped on Kobe in his what? 17th 18th season?

Howard coming in off back surgery.

Nash and Artest over the hill and with injury issues....Gasol too.

I noted before in a thread started claiming the Lakers would win it all this year that they are an extremely OLD team. This wasn't bad luck. Westbrooks injury....Roses injury....now that is bad luck.
agree, kobes minutes should NEVER have been so high, and im expecting he doesnt come back till late december.

nash should just go ahead and retire, he has had injury issues for years now. he hasnt missed a ton of games, he just plays thru the injury (like kobe?) so it just adds up, and this year was just the start of a bad injury decline. he missed 32 games this year and he is on the wrong side of 39. he will be 40 before the allstar break next year.

jamison is having hand surgery this off season, on an injury he has had for years, artest tried to be the hero and come back early, turned out bad too.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
agree, kobes minutes should NEVER have been so high, and im expecting he doesnt come back till late december.

nash should just go ahead and retire, he has had injury issues for years now. he hasnt missed a ton of games, he just plays thru the injury (like kobe?) so it just adds up, and this year was just the start of a bad injury decline. he missed 32 games this year and he is on the wrong side of 39. he will be 40 before the allstar break next year.

jamison is having hand surgery this off season, on an injury he has had for years, artest tried to be the hero and come back early, turned out bad too.
Nash has 10million reasons not to retire, next season will be his last though unless someone picks him up to play limited minutes off the bench.

Gaslo 20million next year. Artest 8ish. Kobe 33mil.....then comes the rebuild in 2015.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:59 AM

well nash can still collect that money and call it quits although the lakers have no need to be loyal to him. had he gotten that contract from the suns then i see them paying to go home and sleep. nashs money is apparently fully guaranteed the last year also for 9.7m.

and kobe is only just over 30m.

honestly if i was the lakers, no loyalty, its business and if kobe isnt looking like early december at the latest, i amnesty him and resign him in the summer. they clear the books of his 30m, plus lux tax, he gets a year to rehab and rest up, and then resign him for 10m in the summer. he gets his pay check, and lakers get a healthy/healed up kobe with something to prove. not to mention, if howard does leave they can send him in a sign and trade (to houston for asik, lin, and parsons?) and the lakers i believe have a 1st rounder so they end up with a lottery pick next summer too.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
honestly if i was the lakers, no loyalty, its business and if kobe isnt looking like early december at the latest, i amnesty him and resign him in the summer. they clear the books of his 30m, plus lux tax, he gets a year to rehab and rest up, and then resign him for 10m in the summer. he gets his pay check, and lakers get a healthy/healed up kobe with something to prove. not to mention, if howard does leave they can send him in a sign and trade (to houston for asik, lin, and parsons?) and the lakers i believe have a 1st rounder so they end up with a lottery pick next summer too.
1) They will amnesty or trade gasol before they amnesty Kobe IMO.

2) There will be no big sign-and-trade deal for Dwight. Lakers might get a 1st rounder for him, they have zero leverage and that was the big risk they took in picking him up for the season. If he wants to leave and the Lakers want to spite him by not facilitating the sign-and-trade they'll get nothing when he leaves except animosity from the big agents and a black-eye in trying to attract top players in their impending rebuild.

This guy wrote a nice article on possibilities.
Will Dwight Howard have any better championship options than L.A. Lakers? - SBNation.com

Old 04-29-2013, 09:16 AM

i can tell you with 100% certainty that the rockets and morey will give LA what ever they want not named harden in a sign and trade to get howard. if they can sign him out right without having to deal anything thats better but the extra money from the sign and trade will sweeten the pot for howard, and LA gets something in return. asik and parsons would be a nice cheap fit for the lakers and im sure they can get a pick or 2 out of houston too.
im not sure what the money has to look like off hand but morey will give up absolutely everyone to make it work.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
i think this one is kinda funny. id still take howard even if he cant hit the ft, he can defend and if tim could keep up this years defense for another year, putting him with howard would be better then tim was with david imo.

Quote:
SPURS: Manu Ginobili, Stephen Jackson and Tiago Splitter all come off of the books at season's end, giving San Antonio roughly $20 million in cap space. By signing with the Spurs, Howard would have two pretty much guaranteed years with Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Gregg Popovich. If Manu wanted to extend his career on a discount, his rights could be renounced, and then he could be signed for the full mid-level. It's not the Spurs' style to spend $20 million on one player, but getting Dwight would keep the Spurs as a top-rung contender, give the Thunder and Heat nightmares and be the most awesome turn of events in modern history.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:04 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
It all seems pretty murky right now. Howard had an average season stats-wise, but that's understandable because he wasn't himself for pretty much the first half of the year.

Half the team was new, and obviously injuries plagued them the entire season.

In the last playoff game I'm sure the starting 5 played 0 minutes together all year.

---

All I know is for next year that we need younger athletic players, some younger defensive guards and really work on getting healthy.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
It all seems pretty murky right now. Howard had an average season stats-wise, but that's understandable because he wasn't himself for pretty much the first half of the year.

Half the team was new, and obviously injuries plagued them the entire season.

In the last playoff game I'm sure the starting 5 played 0 minutes together all year.

All I know is for next year that we need younger athletic players, some younger defensive guards and really work on getting healthy.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but all of your starters except Dwight are under contract through next year and are untradeable.

Next year is going to be like this year, except no Kobe for much of the season and perhaps no Dwight.

If that's the case, the Lakers will at least get a pretty decent draft pick.

Anyone know what future picks the Lakers have traded? They are top 3 protected no doubt, just curious if they are suddenly of value to whomever has them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball