U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 03:31 PM

3,007 posts, read 5,102,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but all of your starters except Dwight are under contract through next year and are untradeable.

Next year is going to be like this year, except no Kobe for much of the season and perhaps no Dwight.

If that's the case, the Lakers will at least get a pretty decent draft pick.

Anyone know what future picks the Lakers have traded? They are top 3 protected no doubt, just curious if they are suddenly of value to whomever has them.
But starters, despite their average age, wasn't really the Lakers' problem.

It was the horrendous bench production. The only problem the starters really had was a lack of consistency. That led to turnovers and blown assignments which showed them getting blown in fast breaks.

That, and I don't think D'Antoni knows how to coach D. Other teams loved heading into the paint when Howard wasn't in there. And that's all just communication and knowing your role as a helper. That never really happened.
---

For a start though, there's no question the Lakers need a solid guard and need to start building for some speed and defense.

---

In the end though, there was just too much hype and pressure this season, it was very strange. Even though everyone will be a year older, I think that even without Kobe, the Lakers will (due to cohesion) will have better record. I'd say a solid 5th or 6th seed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 PM

51,867 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
But starters, despite their average age, wasn't really the Lakers' problem.

It was the horrendous bench production. The only problem the starters really had was a lack of consistency. That led to turnovers and blown assignments which showed them getting blown in fast breaks.

That, and I don't think D'Antoni knows how to coach D. Other teams loved heading into the paint when Howard wasn't in there. And that's all just communication and knowing your role as a helper. That never really happened.
---

For a start though, there's no question the Lakers need a solid guard and need to start building for some speed and defense.

---

In the end though, there was just too much hype and pressure this season, it was very strange. Even though everyone will be a year older, I think that even without Kobe, the Lakers will (due to cohesion) will have better record. I'd say a solid 5th or 6th seed.
You can't just say "despite their average age". It's an 82 game season.

It's like saying the boxer you like would have been fine if he hadn't gotten tired and punched repeatedly.

You think that without Kobe they will be a 5th or 6th seed? Seriously?

Want to bet? Right now I bet you 2 weeks of tag line control the Lakers miss the playoffs next year.

Your tag-line will be "Spurs, greatest team in the west."
You can of course pick mine.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:20 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,569,521 times
Quote:
You can't just say "despite their average age". It's an 82 game season.

It's like saying the boxer you like would have been fine if he hadn't gotten tired and punched repeatedly.

You think that without Kobe they will be a 5th or 6th seed? Seriously?

Want to bet? Right now I bet you 2 weeks of tag line control the Lakers miss the playoffs next year.

Your tag-line will be "Spurs, greatest team in the west."
You can of course pick mine.
I highly doubt next season will be the same as this season. Even if next years Lakers are "injury prone" due to age (which is partially BS) I doubt it will be nearly as bad as this year was. Basically EVERYBODY ON THE TEAM sat out this year. That's insane. If you assume next year will be normal, they Lakers will be a decent team but not a contender. Of course it predicates on when Kobe returns. If it's before the AllStar break then I'm sure you can count on getting in the playoffs. Let's get real, what? are the Jazz going to keep them out? lol. It's bad but you're talking like the worlds coming to the end.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
I highly doubt next season will be the same as this season. Even if next years Lakers are "injury prone" due to age (which is partially BS) I doubt it will be nearly as bad as this year was. Basically EVERYBODY ON THE TEAM sat out this year. That's insane. If you assume next year will be normal, they Lakers will be a decent team but not a contender. Of course it predicates on when Kobe returns. If it's before the AllStar break then I'm sure you can count on getting in the playoffs. Let's get real, what? are the Jazz going to keep them out? lol. It's bad but you're talking like the worlds coming to the end.
Then bet me.

Hey, I've been wrong before....won't be the first time.

Bet me 2 weeks of message line control (nothing offensive of course) we can agree before hand.

Simple bet, Lakers in the playoffs next year or not? I take not.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Then bet me.

Hey, I've been wrong before....won't be the first time.

Bet me 2 weeks of message line control (nothing offensive of course) we can agree before hand.

Simple bet, Lakers in the playoffs next year or not? I take not.
You're on! I ain't scared lol But you have to explain to me what message line control is.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:57 AM

3,093 posts, read 4,134,076 times
Quote:
You're on! I ain't scared lol But you have to explain to me what message line control is.
It means the winner of the bet gets to control what the loser puts on their status. In your case, if you lost, you'd probably have to say something to the effect of, "Lakers suck. Spurs best run organization in the NBA".

Old 05-01-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Under settings you can have a little message that shows up under your name. Mine currently reads "Death to DOMA".

So if the Lakers miss the playoffs next year, you have to change your subject line to "2014 Laker Bandwagon, population zero."

Mine can be something like "Dang, Lakers proved me wrong....again!" or whatever you like as long as it's not offensive etc etc etc.

If we worked together we could just bet a 6-pack of beer or lunch etc. Friendly wager.

Hey, I've said it before...Lakers are one of the best run franchises in the league. They will be back on top, I just think they are heading into a valley for a couple years or so.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Under settings you can have a little message that shows up under your name. Mine currently reads "Death to DOMA".

So if the Lakers miss the playoffs next year, you have to change your subject line to "2014 Laker Bandwagon, population zero."

Mine can be something like "Dang, Lakers proved me wrong....again!" or whatever you like as long as it's not offensive etc etc etc.

If we worked together we could just bet a 6-pack of beer or lunch etc. Friendly wager.

Hey, I've said it before...Lakers are one of the best run franchises in the league. They will be back on top, I just think they are heading into a valley for a couple years or so.
Sounds good. Now we wait.........

Old 05-02-2013, 11:18 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,877,440 times

The Rockets cap situation for 2013-14 is $41,938,187 if they pick up the options of Beverly, Smith, and Parsons which they will do. The other non-guaranteed/team option contracts will not be picked up. The Rockets can get Howard by signing him outright AND still keep Asik . They just need to get rid of $4mil to be at the cap in order to do this. The salary cap for next year will be $58.5-60 mil($60mil projected for 2013-14). If they want to sign Howard the max, they can only offer 4yr/88mil. This means they will be at $64mil, so they need to trade Thomas Robinson and Royce White for picks or nothing before hand. If they are able to which Morey will, they will be a bit below $60mil. They won't have to add Scola's amnesty contract due to meeting the $51mil minimum salary requirements(85% of cap) and still meet roster minimum requirements of 10 players.

There is no reason for the Rockets to do a sign and trade with Lakers since Howard isn't going to get any more $ than he would signing outright with Houston due to the new CBA rules. Plus, the Lakers have nothing to offer the Rockets of value. Rockets will then be patient and wait until they get a good offer for Asik...

The difficulty is getting Howard to sign with Houston due to only the 4yr/88mil vs. what the Lakers can offer(5yr/118mil), so that is gonna be a hard sell for the Rockets. If Howard wants to seriously have a better chance to win a title, he needs to play with the young upcoming Rockets pairing up with Harden. He can develop a low post offensive game with McHale and Olajuwon(2nd time) tutoring him. He can also improve his FT shooting just like Asik has done with the Rockets staff. If Howard wants money, then he should re-sign with the Lakers.

Last edited by JL; 05-02-2013 at 11:34 PM..

Old 05-03-2013, 06:08 AM

6,631 posts, read 8,318,123 times
Howard is staying with the Lakers, I'm nearly sure he will stay.

I just hope the Rockets don't go out of their way to sign Bynum, something tells me they're going to make huge splashes to do just that. He's a liability and should stick to the 76ers roster.

As for the Lakers. I think by 2015, we will see Howard and Love join forces there and possibly Kobe if he wants to stick around for all that. I think World Peace and Gasol will be gone by then though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball