U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who ya got?
Heat in 4 0 0%
Heat in 5 2 9.52%
Heat in 6 6 28.57%
Heat in 7 0 0%
Bulls in 4 1 4.76%
Bulls in 5 1 4.76%
Bulls in 6 7 33.33%
Bulls in 7 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 12:25 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,883,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

The bottom line is that the Bulls are winning the turnover and rebounding battle every night.
Math, as I pointed out previously, last night Miami out-rebounded Chicago 45-41, proving that it's not impossible if they employ the 'all hands on deck' approach as I said before. At the very least, if they can keep it from being an outright slaughter on the boards, it puts more pressure on the Bulls to improve their offensive efficiency and not rely on 'well we can shot 30% but we'll still win because we'll out-rebound them by 20' strategy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 12:54 PM

28,272 posts, read 26,279,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Agreed. The Bulls were pretty horrific in shooting yesterday. I mean the Bulls could have easily won the game. It really didn't get bad until the final 3-4 minutes of the game, other than that the game was neck in neck.
Again, you're writing as if the Heat were 100% on top of their game. They had a five minute stretch in the fourth quarter where they couldn't buy a basket. It could be equally said that Miami could have easily won the game had they shot better. The same is true for most teams in almost all games.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:31 PM

999 posts, read 1,472,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Again, you're writing as if the Heat were 100% on top of their game. They had a five minute stretch in the fourth quarter where they couldn't buy a basket. It could be equally said that Miami could have easily won the game had they shot better. The same is true for most teams in almost all games.
Miami did win the game, I am not putting Miami down or saying that was the best they could of pulled off. What I am trying to say is this game was very close throughout most of the game where the win could have gone either way, as opposed to game 1 where it couldn't have, because the Bulls dominated.

I get what you are saying, I was just trying to point out that at the 5 minute mark of the 4th quarter no one could really say who was gonna win. In game 1 I think it was pretty clear at the 5 minute mark of the fourth who was gonna win. There was no way Miami was gonna win that game.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:34 PM

52,040 posts, read 41,862,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Math, as I pointed out previously, last night Miami out-rebounded Chicago 45-41, proving that it's not impossible if they employ the 'all hands on deck' approach as I said before. At the very least, if they can keep it from being an outright slaughter on the boards, it puts more pressure on the Bulls to improve their offensive efficiency and not rely on 'well we can shot 30% but we'll still win because we'll out-rebound them by 20' strategy.
With all due respect, shooting percentage has a big impact on the rebounding figures. To have a 14% difference and net 4 more rebounds is indicative that the Bulls were the stronger rebounding team but couldn't find the bottom of the basket and thus padded Miami's rebounding stats.

So to word it more generally, IMO the Heat have to find a way to limit the O-rebounds and turnovers because the games that will decide the series are when both teams are shooting more *typically* and in the tight games those extra possessions will be the difference.

Miami packed the lane and the Bulls were shooting poorly from outside. It's a brilliant strategy when the Bulls aren't making shots.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
With all due respect, shooting percentage has a big impact on the rebounding figures. To have a 14% difference and net 4 more rebounds is indicative that the Bulls were the stronger rebounding team but couldn't find the bottom of the basket and thus padded Miami's rebounding stats.
Math, the Heat out-rebounded the Bulls last night. Let's not make this unnecessarily complex. The Bulls shot poorly, once the shot goes up it's anyone's ball, the Heat put more players under the basket to combat the Bulls inside. Lebron 10 rebounds, Wade 9, Bosh 8, Miller 7, Haslem 5. The Bulls didn't get as much support behind Boozer and Noah, who were both held to 8 rebounds, well below their averages( particularly Noah)....I feel a reluctance to acknowledge that the Heat simply did a better rebounding job last night, then the prior night.

Not sure about the stat-padding angle...

Last edited by Roman77; 05-19-2011 at 02:05 PM..

Old 05-19-2011, 02:01 PM

The other thing I'm noticing here( this is a general comment not directed at anyone specific) is that Wade and Lebron having a bad game 1 is directly attributed to the Bulls defense....BUT, the Heat don't seem to be getting much credit for their defensive job, the Bulls and Rose( 7-23) just 'missed shots'..... after the Heat were beaten down Game 1, I gave full credit to the Bulls. I'm not seeing this reciprocated for what was a legit Heat victory last night.

Let's put our team bias aside and give appropriate credit where it's due, for BOTH teams, shall we?

Old 05-19-2011, 02:02 PM

52,040 posts, read 41,862,229 times
Quote:
Math, the Heat out-rebounded the Bulls last night. Let's not make this unnecessarily complex. The Bulls shot poorly, once the shot goes up it's anyone's ball, the Heat put more players under the basket to combat the Bulls inside. Lebron 10 rebounds, Wade 9, Haslem 8, Miller 7. Chicago shooting poorly simply means more balls coming off the rim for BOTH team to go after, the Heat simply collected more of those missed shots. Not sure about the stat-padding angle....
Is this why Miami had 35 Defensive rebounds and 10 offensive rebounds? (Rebounds generally split about 3-4 to 1.)

Hey, I'm not going to beat a dead horse.

The bottom line is that Miami packed the lane and the Bulls couldn't hit outside shots to save their life. Probably a better strat than in game 1 but one borne more out of being better than the alternative as opposed to being a viable option over the long haul.

Regardless, we will get to see the scenario unfold here over the next 10 days or so.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Is this why Miami had 35 Defensive rebounds and 10 offensive rebounds? (Rebounds generally split about 3-4 to 1.)

Hey, I'm not going to beat a dead horse.

The bottom line is that Miami packed the lane and the Bulls couldn't hit outside shots to save their life. Probably a better strat than in game 1 but one borne more out of being better than the alternative as opposed to being a viable option over the long haul.

Regardless, we will get to see the scenario unfold here over the next 10 days or so.

Each game takes on a life of its own. The realities of last night's game is that the Bulls shot poorly, the Heat packed the lane, won the rebounding battle, and eventually won the game. Does it have to be assigned a series of ifs, buts, hows, whys, and other extrapolated theories? Not really.... the bottomline is the final box score. The Heat couldn't rebound in game 1, the Bulls couldn't shoot in game 2. And the world turns..... game 3 will have its own set of variables, and the winner will be whomever better adapts themselves to the realities of that particular game.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:13 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,368,561 times
Quote:
Math, the Heat out-rebounded the Bulls last night. Let's not make this unnecessarily complex.
Hmm, I think I agree with MG here, and I don't think he is making it overly complex. Wouldn't this be like if we were comparing two baseball players, one had 20 hits in a week and the other had 15, but the guy who had 15 hits only had 20 plate appearances but the guy who had 20 had 35 plate appearances....and then saying "well the guy had 20 hits and had the better week, its black and white"

Old 05-19-2011, 02:56 PM

28,272 posts, read 26,279,915 times
I think the Bulls really needed to go up 2-0 to win this series.

Game 1 was an anomaly. The Bulls were amped to the max and the home crowd really energized their bench. Plus, I think the Heat weren't ready for the intensity the Bulls brought to the table. For the most part, all of Chicago's wins over Miami had been close, and I think Lebron didn't even play in one of those games. But now the Bulls have got to go down to Miami, and Gibson and Brewer aren't going to be able to feed off the Madhouse on Madison crowd. We'll see how well they can play against a good team on the road under high pressure.

We'll also see how clutch D-Rose truly is as the Miami fans will be out in full force booing and jeering him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball