U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Who ya got?
Heat in 4 0 0%
Heat in 5 2 9.52%
Heat in 6 6 28.57%
Heat in 7 0 0%
Bulls in 4 1 4.76%
Bulls in 5 1 4.76%
Bulls in 6 7 33.33%
Bulls in 7 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-19-2011, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,879,801 times
Reputation: 1802

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Hmm, I think I agree with MG here, and I don't think he is making it overly complex. Wouldn't this be like if we were comparing two baseball players, one had 20 hits in a week and the other had 15, but the guy who had 15 hits only had 20 plate appearances but the guy who had 20 had 35 plate appearances....and then saying "well the guy had 20 hits and had the better week, its black and white"
Perhaps I'm having a slow day.... the Bulls missed a ton of shots, the Heat put themselves in a position to rebound a higher percentage of those misses. The Bulls could have put themselves in a position to rebound more of those misses as well? What am I overlooking here( being serious)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-19-2011, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,363,957 times
Reputation: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Perhaps I'm having a slow day.... the Bulls missed a ton of shots, the Heat put themselves in a position to rebound a higher percentage of those misses. The Bulls could have put themselves in a position to rebound more of those misses as well? What am I overlooking here( being serious)....
I don't want to speak for MG here, but they way I see it rebounding isn't total rebounds alone. As the team on defense you have a edge on getting a rebound due to your position on the court. The bulls missed 18 more shots and 2 more free throws than the heat, so that is 20 more chances the heat had at rebounding (on defense where you should have better position) than the bulls did.

20 more chances and only 4 total more rebounds would suggest that while the heat had more boards, it was still the Bulls who actually crashed them better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,879,801 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I don't want to speak for MG here, but they way I see it rebounding isn't total rebounds alone. As the team on defense you have a edge on getting a rebound due to your position on the court. The bulls missed 18 more shots and 2 more free throws than the heat, so that is 20 more chances the heat had at rebounding (on defense where you should have better position) than the bulls did.

20 more chances and only 4 total more rebounds would suggest that while the heat had more boards, it was still the Bulls who actually crashed them better.
Oh ok.... now that I'm home and relaxing I'm seeing the point better. I still have to figure that as the Bulls are the far superior rebounding team, they could have gathered a larger share of the rebounds than they did, the Heat merely employed the all-hands approach to keep the Bulls from getting too offensive rebounds and converting them into a ton of 2nd chance points. That's essentially what killed Miami in game 1.

In any event, have a read of this story when you get a minute, gives a good breakdown....

Haslem's return helps Heat keep Bulls off the boards | NBA.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 05:31 PM
JL
 
7,352 posts, read 11,883,509 times
Reputation: 7198
The Heat made a concerted effort to 'gang' defense rebounds after that 1st quarter. Haslem was the player of the game. He seemed to spark the Heat's defense and rebounding. The Heat will have to continue their 'gang' rebounding in order to win. I do think Rose won't shoot that bad again. I think the Heat are trying to not let Rose get into the flow. Sometimes he is doubled and other times not..not sure if this is confusing the Bulls, but i'm sure they will adjust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Tha 6th Bourough
3,633 posts, read 5,029,323 times
Reputation: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Math, the Heat out-rebounded the Bulls last night. Let's not make this unnecessarily complex. The Bulls shot poorly, once the shot goes up it's anyone's ball,
And I'll add that they shot poorly not just because people had off nights..I saw Miami's defense putting hands in a face each time the Bulls shot the ball or they faced double teams from the Heat's quick defense..

If the Heat continue playing this kind of defense like they have been playing throughout most of the season then I feel the Bulls will continue missing shots they usually would hit which will result in more rebounds for the Heat..Lets face it...a rebound is a rebound and the Heat proved they are up for the rebounding game..

it's just about changing mentality and effort to do it....Dennis Rodman wasn't the biggest guy on the court, but with effort and his mentality he was king of rebounding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 05:39 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,306,870 times
Reputation: 9451
Heat has to win Game 3 to put the pressure on the Bulls in Game 4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2011, 06:38 PM
 
Location: NC
4,112 posts, read 3,822,834 times
Reputation: 1331
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think the Bulls really needed to go up 2-0 to win this series.

Game 1 was an anomaly. The Bulls were amped to the max and the home crowd really energized their bench. Plus, I think the Heat weren't ready for the intensity the Bulls brought to the table. For the most part, all of Chicago's wins over Miami had been close, and I think Lebron didn't even play in one of those games. But now the Bulls have got to go down to Miami, and Gibson and Brewer aren't going to be able to feed off the Madhouse on Madison crowd. We'll see how well they can play against a good team on the road under high pressure.

We'll also see how clutch D-Rose truly is as the Miami fans will be out in full force booing and jeering him.
http://thankyoubasedgod.com/forum/images/smilies/lebronwhatever2.png (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 12:01 AM
JL
 
7,352 posts, read 11,883,509 times
Reputation: 7198
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Damm Game 3 is not until Sunday

So no Basketball on Fri and Saturday

Sunday and Monday instead



Lebron was in TAKE OVER MODE
Hey, at least you can go back to watching your cartoons on Saturday morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 07:55 AM
 
51,934 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Reputation: 32402
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
And I'll add that they shot poorly not just because people had off nights..I saw Miami's defense putting hands in a face each time the Bulls shot the ball or they faced double teams from the Heat's quick defense..

If the Heat continue playing this kind of defense like they have been playing throughout most of the season then I feel the Bulls will continue missing shots they usually would hit which will result in more rebounds for the Heat..Lets face it...a rebound is a rebound and the Heat proved they are up for the rebounding game..

it's just about changing mentality and effort to do it....Dennis Rodman wasn't the biggest guy on the court, but with effort and his mentality he was king of rebounding.
The Bulls shot 34%. If they shoot like that they will lose.
Had they shot 40% they'd have pretty much erased the deficit.
Miami is having turnover and rebounding issues and their win was the Bulls shooting horribly which isn't all due to Miami's defense.

I'm really just not that nervous about the Bulls getting past Miami based upon what I've seen so far.

I will predict the Bulls take at least 1 in Miami and will just kick back now and wait for the game. I think we can all agree that it's at least a very interesting series and match-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-20-2011, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,242,183 times
Reputation: 11726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm really just not that nervous about the Bulls getting past Miami based upon what I've seen so far.
You do realize that Miami went into their house and beat them on their own floor in front of their own fans? So I guess taking a game in Miami should be a cinch, huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top