U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who ya got?
Heat in 4 0 0%
Heat in 5 2 9.52%
Heat in 6 6 28.57%
Heat in 7 0 0%
Bulls in 4 1 4.76%
Bulls in 5 1 4.76%
Bulls in 6 7 33.33%
Bulls in 7 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2011, 06:23 AM

7,559 posts, read 11,897,284 times

Advertisements

Does Miami have a bench? You need a bench, right?

Bullies in 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 06:47 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,198,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post

Bullies in 6.
lakers have not had a bench in 3 years, only this year when the miles and age are catching up was it a glaring weakness.

to me the bigs are the issue for miami. miami is going to let rose get his and do everything they can to stop everyone else. miami in 6

Old 05-13-2011, 06:50 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,881,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post

Bullies in 6.

Their bench, while not the greatest, isn't quite as horrid as people think. Chalmers, Miller, Haslem, Anthony are all capable role players( though Miller has struggled because of his hand injury) in their roles. And having the two best players on the court in every series will give them a fighting chance against anyone, particularly since they've finally figured out how to play off each other.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:17 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,364,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Their bench, while not the greatest, isn't quite as horrid as people think. Chalmers, Miller, Haslem, Anthony are all capable role players( though Miller has struggled because of his hand injury) in their roles. And having the two best players on the court in every series will give them a fighting chance against anyone, particularly since they've finally figured out how to play off each other.
Eh, I'm not going to say Derrick is a more versatile player than Lebron or Wade, but he can certainly cancel out one of their offensive production with his own productivity. No one else the Heat have faced thus far have had a guy that can do that. Sure Garnett/Pierce are good players, but they are not dropping 30 just about every darn night like Derrick has so far this post season.

It is interesting though, that the night that Derrick scored the least the bulls looked the best. A lot to be said for getting contributions from a bunch of guys and moving the ball well.

Also, I agree that the Miami bench isn't AS bad as people say, but the Bulls have a significant edge in that department.

Old 05-13-2011, 07:51 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,881,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Eh, I'm not going to say Derrick is a more versatile player than Lebron or Wade, but he can certainly cancel out one of their offensive production with his own productivity. No one else the Heat have faced thus far have had a guy that can do that.
True, but who's going to cancel out Lebron's production? The reverse is also true of your statement, the Bulls haven't yet faced anyone yet who can cancel out Rose's.... I think if Miami's starters can outplay the Bulls starters, that may offset the Bulls bench advantage. MAYBE......we'll have to wait until the first game to see how things pan out, I can get a better idea of how they're matching up. Personally I think the Heat should go with the following lineup:

Bosh
Haslem
Lebron
Wade
Chalmers.

This is their best lineup, defensively,rebounding-wise and athletically. Personally I would move Z to the bench...

Old 05-13-2011, 08:06 AM

51,950 posts, read 41,815,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Eh, I'm not going to say Derrick is a more versatile player than Lebron or Wade, but he can certainly cancel out one of their offensive production with his own productivity. No one else the Heat have faced thus far have had a guy that can do that. Sure Garnett/Pierce are good players, but they are not dropping 30 just about every darn night like Derrick has so far this post season.

It is interesting though, that the night that Derrick scored the least the bulls looked the best. A lot to be said for getting contributions from a bunch of guys and moving the ball well.

Also, I agree that the Miami bench isn't AS bad as people say, but the Bulls have a significant edge in that department.
The thing people miss when they look at the box score for the Bulls is the significant minutes they spread around. 15pts and 10 rebounds isn't crazy until you realize a guy only played 30minutes and the guy(s) that played the other 18minutes threw in a bunch more.

The Bulls will throw wave after wave of depth at the Heat whom arguably have the better starting line-up. (See Mavericks vs. Lakers)

The nice thing is that the Bulls strengths of defense and rebounding show up every single night.

P.S. I am entirely unimpressed that the Heat beat the faltering Celtics with Rondo's elbow banged up. (He was obviously not anywhere near 100%) I think Miami is in for a very rude awakening as to the calibre of opposition.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:52 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,247,479 times
Miami wins this in 5 games. They have both talent and experience on their side. Plus, the Boston series has probably made them that much sharper and competitive.

Miami can throw a bunch of different bodies at D-Rose (LBJ, D-Wade, and Chalmers). And Rose is going to have to guard Lebron or Wade some of the time. This series will probably add some wear on him.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
P.S. I am entirely unimpressed that the Heat beat the faltering Celtics with Rondo's elbow banged up. (He was obviously not anywhere near 100%) I think Miami is in for a very rude awakening as to the calibre of opposition.
The Heat beat the Celtics twice (once pretty soundly) with a healthy Rondo. I really don't think his injury was the difference maker in the series.

And I don't think that Chicago presents a higher caliber of competition than Boston. The Celts had four NBA All-Stars this season. Even though Pierce and Allen aren't in their prime, they're still damned good ball players. Besides, Boston's one of those teams whose whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The real test for Miami was getting past Boston.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:54 PM
JL

7,352 posts, read 11,885,191 times
If Haslem can be productive( rebounding, making those 10-12 ft jumpers, defense) in this series, it would negate alot of the Bull's interior defense. Of course, he only played a few minutes in the Boston series, so it is questionable on how effective he can be. The Heat will need every contribution they can get off the bench in order to beat the depth of the Bulls.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
If Haslem can be productive( rebounding, making those 10-12 ft jumpers, defense) in this series, it would negate alot of the Bull's interior defense. Of course, he only played a few minutes in the Boston series, so it is questionable on how effective he can be. The Heat will need every contribution they can get off the bench in order to beat the depth of the Bulls.
I don't see this series turning on the Heat's bench. I think the formula for success for both teams is straightfoward.

Miami: Get Bron and Wade going. Defend the paint. Minimal contribution from Chalmers, Jones and Miller.

Chicago: Exploit Heat's lack of size. Get Rose going. Try to keep Bron and Wade under 50 combined points.

My 2 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball