U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Who ya got?
Heat in 4 0 0%
Heat in 5 2 9.52%
Heat in 6 6 28.57%
Heat in 7 0 0%
Bulls in 4 1 4.76%
Bulls in 5 1 4.76%
Bulls in 6 7 33.33%
Bulls in 7 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 12:13 PM
FBJ

32,732 posts, read 21,060,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not necessarily a higher percentage shot just because it's closer. You also have to account for long guys like Bosh and Anthony (and even Wade) stepping up to fill the lane. Given the way Rose has been slashing to the basket this series (and the whole season), I think the Heat were overprepared for that possibility. A drive to the basket could have resulted in a foul, but it also could have resulted in a blocked shot, or worse, a charge.

Rose was the only person who should have taken that shot last night and the shot he took was a reasonable one. You're acting as if he took one of Kobe's wild fadeaway three-pointers circa 1999. He almost hit that shot in LBJ's face. That would have been ballgame, everyone on here would be predicting the Bulls in 6, and Rose would be elevated to basketball deity. But he didn't make it, so now everyone's saying that it was a bad shot, he's not clutch enough, and whatever other non-sense.

I stated before overtime that whatever team won last night was going to win the series. If the Buls had won and tied the series at 2-2 they may not have won in Game 6 but I couldn't see the Heat winning a Game 7 in Chicago.

I can only think of one team who won a Game 7 on the Road in the conference finals and that was the 2002 Lakers over Sacramento
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 12:17 PM

28,812 posts, read 16,807,195 times
Quote:
Right. Did you really think that they wouldn't throw their most athletic players at D-Rose for a significant number of posessions? Lebron was assigned to guard Rose in the fourth quarter and his defense likely won them the game.
The Bulls offensive scheme allowed that which is where I find fault. They should have set a pick on Lebron for that.

As it stands, in 4 games Lebron has barely guarded Rose what? Certainly <10%.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:19 PM

28,812 posts, read 16,807,195 times
Quote:
Wasn't the shot at the end of regulation the one where he went one-on-one against Lebron and missed at 85 all? That shot wasn't an airball. I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Derrick Rose is 22/23 years old. At that age, Jordan was just getting over a foot injury and going nowhere on a lousy team. Can we at least give the kid 5 years to make something happen? I mean, he's clearly got the talent, and I think he has a penchant for big games. It's totally unfair to compare any player to Jordan, but even if we do try and compare rose to the GOAT, we have to at least give him time to grow as a player before we can hold him to that standard.
Well said.

Even Kobe and Lebron don't measure up to Jordan.....Rose's age and playoff inexperience is clearly showing against the tougher competition and there is no shame in that.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:21 PM

3,509 posts, read 1,677,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Whether it's in the 1st or 4th quarter, a fade away jump shot is always going to be a low percentage shot since you are going further away from the basket
Which completely ignores the realities of the game at that moment. Miami had up a wall of defenders, which effectively would have cut off any chance of getting to the basket, with the very real possibility that Rose could create an offensive foul scenario trying to bulldoze his way to rim. It's not always as black and white as you make it.

How many shots has Rose had at the rim this series? WELL below the norm for him, so him trying to take a contested jumpshot over one defender is no more or less a low percentage shot than him taking it to the rim with Anthony, Bosh, and Wade standing in front of him. And you eliminate the possibility of an offensive foul scenario, giving the Heat the ball to close the game with a game-winner.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:22 PM
FBJ

32,732 posts, read 21,060,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well said.

Even Kobe and Lebron don't measure up to Jordan.....Rose's age and playoff inexperience is clearly showing against the tougher competition and there is no shame in that.
Kobe measures up to Jordan since he has won back to back titles and has a total of five rings. Now Lebron does not measure up to jordan YET

Old 05-25-2011, 12:24 PM

15,386 posts, read 8,087,695 times
If you're over the limit, and you commit an offensive foul, the other team shoots FTs, right?

Old 05-25-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
If you're over the limit, and you commit an offensive foul, the other team shoots FTs, right?
Yep, and that's a point I didn't even consider in my last post. The Bulls were over the limit, so Rose committing an offensive foul would have sent Miami to the line. So he had to weigh a number of factors into what gave his team the best chance for success, with the least amount of risk.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:42 PM

15,386 posts, read 8,087,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Yep, and that's a point I didn't even consider in my last post. The Bulls were over the limit, so Rose committing an offensive foul would have sent Miami to the line. So he had to weigh a number of factors into what gave his team the best chance for success, with the least amount of risk.
That makes me look at him even more favorably now. Just imagine if he had foolishly barreled his way to the rim and knocked over D-Wade in the process. I can hear Charles' voice now.

Ernie! Derrick Rooose! Derrick Roooose...he got to learn that you can't go to the rim like that. 30 point. 40 point. 50 point. Lebron James. Kobe, Kobe Bryant. It don't matter. His lack of experience came out to tonight, Ernie. He supposed to shoot the ball in that situation but he cost his team the game, Ernie.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
That makes me look at him even more favorably now. Just imagine if he had foolishly barreled his way to the rim and knocked over D-Wade in the process.
Yes, and this goes back to my earlier point; with 6 seconds to go, there's realistically 3-4 paths for Rose to pursue, and which one being the most viable, given how the game had taken shape to that moment, has to be determined in a short window of time.

This is why statements above to the effect of 'Fadeaway Jumpshots are low percentage, Rose took a poor shot' are comments made in a bubble, ignoring the realities of the game, the defense, the available resources at his disposal( teammates) and the likelihood of them getting a better look or being a more viable option at that moment than he was.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:12 PM

3,066 posts, read 2,951,381 times

YouTube - &#x202a;Inspirational Sports Speech&#x202c;&rlm;

Come on bull fans. Don't give up.
One game at a time.

2/3 games at home.
We've beat them before and we can beat em again.

3-1 comebacks have been accomplished before. It's not impossible

It ain't over till it's over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball