U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who ya got?
Heat in 4 0 0%
Heat in 5 2 9.52%
Heat in 6 6 28.57%
Heat in 7 0 0%
Bulls in 4 1 4.76%
Bulls in 5 1 4.76%
Bulls in 6 7 33.33%
Bulls in 7 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 08:28 AM

51,901 posts, read 41,783,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Miami wins this in 5 games. They have both talent and experience on their side. Plus, the Boston series has probably made them that much sharper and competitive.

Miami can throw a bunch of different bodies at D-Rose (LBJ, D-Wade, and Chalmers). And Rose is going to have to guard Lebron or Wade some of the time. This series will probably add some wear on him.
You won't see Rose or LBJ guarding each other at all this series unless it's a broken play like a fast break. You probably wont even see Wade and Rose guarding each other much either unless foul trouble crops up or just the occasional switch.

FYI, even before Rondo got hurt the Celtics were frankly not the team they once were. I can't think of any poster around here that felt the Celtics were anywhere near thier pre-perkins level.

The Bulls didn't get the #1 seed or the moniker of best defensive team in the NBA by accident. They have the size, athleticism and depth to make Lebron and Wade work.....none of this 15-20 from the field bullcrap that the Celtics were getting lit up with.

We have a lot of posters around here that "like the shiny". They like the "star power" and look right on over guys like Deng (who I think is the equal of Bosh)...Noah (2nd best def. center in the league) and so on because the Bulls run a deep line-up and other than Rose don't have another guy with eye-popping numbers largely due to their ball sharing and minutes sharing.

The Bulls just don't usually look or win "pretty".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 08:40 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,362,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You won't see Rose or LBJ guarding each other at all this series unless it's a broken play like a fast break. You probably wont even see Wade and Rose guarding each other much either unless foul trouble crops up or just the occasional switch.

FYI, even before Rondo got hurt the Celtics were frankly not the team they once were. I can't think of any poster around here that felt the Celtics were anywhere near thier pre-perkins level.

The Bulls didn't get the #1 seed or the moniker of best defensive team in the NBA by accident. They have the size, athleticism and depth to make Lebron and Wade work.....none of this 15-20 from the field bullcrap that the Celtics were getting lit up with.

We have a lot of posters around here that "like the shiny". They like the "star power" and look right on over guys like Deng (who I think is the equal of Bosh)...Noah (2nd best def. center in the league) and so on because the Bulls run a deep line-up and other than Rose don't have another guy with eye-popping numbers largely due to their ball sharing and minutes sharing.

The Bulls just don't usually look or win "pretty".
Agreed except I think you could see LBJ on Rose if he is really going off one game. It happened in the reg season, but it has to be the right set of circumstances. No way in h-e-double hockey sticks will you see Rose guarding LBJ though he gives up way too much size.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:16 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,906 times
Lebron doesn't have the lateral quickness to keep up with Rose, and they're not going to tire Wade out and potentially get him in foul trouble. I suspect they'll give the primary duties to Chalmers, and really they should bench Bibby, who Rose would cave up like a thanksgiving turkey. Miami would probably live with Rose going off, and make it their business to shut everyone else down.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:39 PM

51,901 posts, read 41,783,059 times
I am still quite frankly shocked at how many people just seem to dismiss the Bulls.
No offense but really, it seems like the early season Heat-hype (and some of it is deserved) has re-spawned and they forget that the Bulls are a resilient team.

Oh well. My prediction is Bulls by 5 Sunday night, going to likely be a lot of close games.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:44 AM

The Heat has learned to be resilient as well, and partly because of the pre-season ceremony where Lebron was mouthing off about 8 championships. So, much of the 'heat'( pun fully intended) sent their way over the year is justified, but I also think it has galvanized them as a team.

Personally I'm only partially sold on them overall and that's because of their roster flaws, but I am simply giving my assessment as to what I think Miami's strategy will be: live with what Rose does, and try to contain everyone else. I don't think that's being dismissive towards the Bulls at all. An underrated aspect of Miami's game is their defense, as much as we hear about Chicago's defense, the Heat aren't slouches in that department either and they have more offensive firepower. Rose by himself is not going to beat Miami, so I suspect a much more team-oriented approach from the Bulls will be needed. Which is why I say the Heat will focus on stopping everyone else, and live with what Rose does, because Wade is going to counter with the same kind of output. The fairest assessment of this series is this is the best opponent that each team has faced so far, so really it's about who is playing better overall at this given moment in time.

Last edited by Roman77; 05-15-2011 at 04:52 AM..

Old 05-15-2011, 07:21 AM

320 posts, read 620,698 times
Quote:
The Heat beat the Celtics twice (once pretty soundly) with a healthy Rondo. I really don't think his injury was the difference maker in the series.
If Rondo was healthy during games 3 through 5. Boston would've at least taken the Heat to 7 games. Plus, the C's led for three in a half quarters in most of those games, but I felt they were worn out by the end--especially in the overtime game.

Quote:
And I don't think that Chicago presents a higher caliber of competition than Boston. The Celts had four NBA All-Stars this season. Even though Pierce and Allen aren't in their prime, they're still damned good ball players. Besides, Boston's one of those teams whose whole is greater than the sum of its parts. The real test for Miami was getting past Boston.
The bulls are better than the C's and would've won that series in 5 or 6 games. The C's haven't been the same ever since they lost Perkins. Without any depth at the 4 and 5 spots, the Bulls would've pounded the C's on the boards just like the Heat did.

Which leads me to my next point. The bulls are going to pound the Heat on the boards. The problem with the C's was that they weren't able to win the rebounding game. Wade, James and Bosh killed them on the boards. I don't think it will be that easy with the bulls. Noah and Boozer are rebounding machines. Gibson, Asik and Thomas if given the minutes are also double figure rebounders. Deng averages 7 or 8 rebounds. Rose averages b/w 4 and 5 game. I don't see Joel Anthony, Big Z, Haslem, Juwan Howard and Bosh out-rebounding the bulls bigs. With that said, who ever wins the rebounding game will win the East. The Bulls definitely have the edge.

The bulls play better defense than the Heat. The bulls are the only team in the league whose bench plays better defense than the starters. Watson, Brewer, Deng, Gibson and Asik/Thomas can just about defend any starting lineup in the league for long stretches, including the Heat. We saw that in game 5 vs ATL. I give the Bulls the edge on defense.

Even though Boozer's achilles heal is defense. If he can can be the twenty-ten player he was in Utah, then the bulls have this hands down (or if Taj Gibson plays well). If not, then it can go either way. The same can be said for Chris Bosh.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburban_boy View Post

I don't see Joel Anthony, Big Z, Haslem, Juwan Howard and Bosh out-rebounding the bulls bigs. With that said, who ever wins the rebounding game will win the East. The Bulls definitely have the edge.
I suspect Lebron will be put in a position of playing closer to the basket for stretches, which will effectively give the Heat another 8+ rebounder under the basket. The Bulls would still have the rebounding edge, but I'm wouldn't say it's an insurmountable mountain to climb. Wade himself is averaging over 6 rebounds this year, so I suspect the Heat will take an 'all hands on deck' approach to rebounding in an attempt to counter the Bulls advantage on the boards.

Frankly the way this playoffs has gone, thank god I'm not a betting man!

Old 05-15-2011, 08:23 AM

320 posts, read 620,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I suspect Lebron will be put in a position of playing closer to the basket for stretches, which will effectively give the Heat another 8+ rebounder under the basket. The Bulls would still have the rebounding edge, but I'm wouldn't say it's an insurmountable mountain to climb. Wade himself is averaging over 6 rebounds this year, so I suspect the Heat will take an 'all hands on deck' approach to rebounding in an attempt to counter the Bulls advantage on the boards.

Frankly the way this playoffs has gone, thank god I'm not a betting man!
Yeah, but unlike the other teams the Heat have played. This team is by far the best rebounding team they are ever going to face. If Noah hadn't gotten hurt, he would've been up their with Kevin Love's rebound stats.

Also, I don't think the Heat haven't ran across a team that is as young, energetic and plays as great of defense as them (if not better). I don't think James ran across a defender such as Deng in the Playoff yet. Yeah Pierce is a good defender, but Deng is longer, quicker, slightly stronger and younger than Pierce. I don't think Wade has ran across two hard core defender such as Bogans and Brewer (those guys are like pittbulls). And they definitely have ran across a "healthy" guard like D. Rose in the Playoffs yet.

Also, I have a feeling that we are going to see the old 20/10 Boozer, Noah will dominate the boards and put up double figure points and the bench will contribute more offensively (look for Korver and Watson to get hot from 3) in this series. If that's the case then, I see the bulls winning. But, the way the Heat have been playing as of late, it can go either way.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:00 AM

3,173 posts, read 3,075,534 times
I love the Bulls and would love to see them win but not just for Chicago. I would love to see them win for Cleveland too, he broke a lot of hearts there. I can't imagine what we would have done in Chicago if Jordan would have left us to play for another team against us. It would have been so heartbreaking I can not even stand to think about it.
Every person in Chicago loved him so much. It would have been devastating for this city.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but unlike the other teams the Heat have played. This team is by far the best rebounding team they are ever going to face. If Noah hadn't gotten hurt, he would've been up their with Kevin Love's rebound stats.
Yes but the 'they've never faced a team with this' applies to both teams. Much is being made of the Bulls rebounding and their defense, and very little about the fact that the Bulls are going to have their defense tested like never before, by the two of the most unstoppable players in the game. Wade and Lebron individually are a handful, trying to stop both at the same time over a seven game series? We're not talking about Danny Granger and Joe Johnson here. You also have to wonder if playing the 'MVP' will give them a little extra incentive.

Quote:
I don't think James ran across a defender such as Deng in the Playoff yet. Yeah Pierce is a good defender, but Deng is longer, quicker, slightly stronger and younger than Pierce.
Deng has never faced a player this playoff that will test his defense to the extreme as Lebron either. This goes both ways. How much is defending Lebron going to take from Deng's own offense? And his offense is going to be crucial in this series.

Quote:
Also, I have a feeling that we are going to see the old 20/10 Boozer,
You have way more faith in him than I do. Carlos Boozer as a playoff performer has never impressed me, this playoffs certainly hasn't changed my mind.

I believe this series is going to come down to which team can contain the other's advantage more: Can the Heat find a way to negate the Bulls rebounding, can the Bulls neuter both Wade and Lebron over 7 games? I believe I read somewhere that the Heat are the #3 defensive ranked team( Bull being number 1). Which means this isn't going to be a picnic no matter how you slice it, for either team.

Last edited by Roman77; 05-15-2011 at 10:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball