U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who ya got?
Heat in 4 0 0%
Heat in 5 2 9.52%
Heat in 6 6 28.57%
Heat in 7 0 0%
Bulls in 4 1 4.76%
Bulls in 5 1 4.76%
Bulls in 6 7 33.33%
Bulls in 7 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 04:01 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,879,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
No comparison, the Pacers were a 8th seed in the opening round........Didn't take them seriously

The Heat is a 2 seed who were favored to win the series.

Big Difference
Doesn't matter, it's the effort I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
It's not likely that both Wade and Lebron will have as bad a games at the same time ever again, maybe one will, but defiantly not both like game one. This performance lacked motivation and fight tonight by the Heat...You don't see that too often...

That's what I was thinking. Credit to the Bulls for their defense and that certainly majorly contributed to who bad Miami looked, but the Heat really started strong and sort of lost their edge. And this was before the Bulls went on their 3rd quarter run, Wade in particular looked like he was sleepwalking after the opening dunk.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:25 AM

51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Yes but that was a STATEMENT game... it wasn't like a 6 point victory where you can take some silver lining points out of it if you're Miami. They got a straight ass-whopping, but most disappointing was their lack of intensity. Wade in particular, seemed like he was in cruise mode from the beginning....I said earlier, who's playing better and raises their game to 'that' level will win it. Simple as that...but the level of effort was unacceptable. The Pacers put up a better fight, and they aren't nearly as talented....

Eric's strategy seems to be putting out a small line-up to space the floor better, problem is the Bulls already have a rebounding edge. I'm actually surprised that the guy that came to play was Bosh, you would think with all the Bulls interior players that he'd be the one out of the 'big 3' to have the toughest time.....
I think Lebron and Wade came to play but remember, the Bulls have several guys that are above average or WAY above average to throw on them. As a result, Bosh got more isolation and some easy buckets but make no mistake that the Bulls could have shut him down but that would have meant more success for the other 2.

Frankly, I think Deng is one of the most underrated players in the NBA because he does *everything* very well but he doesn't do one thing really well and is overshadowed by Rose (obvious) and also the Boozer trade and of course Noahs rebounding, energy and crazy topknot.

How many teams can throw a Deng, Gibson etc. on Lebron and basically keep him in front of them while having enough length to challenge his shot? Noah, yes 7'1 Noah played Wade on one play, didn't fall for the pump fake and then swatted him on the drive into the lane.

It's clear that the Bulls entered the playoffs green and playoff experience was my #1 major concern about this team. Sure enough the first couple minutes last night they were a bundle of nerves and then settled down. If they keep gaining experience and confidence like this, they are going to be an extremely tough out.

P.S. The Heat still scare the crap out of me for the future....they really just need to add a defensive oriented big man and replace some bench players and then the stars won't have to try to do everything.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:44 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,363,957 times
Ok, phew, it wasn't a dream. Bulls actually did beat the bulls by more than 20 points last night.

Old 05-16-2011, 07:51 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,029,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Ok, phew, it wasn't a dream. Bulls actually did beat the bulls by more than 20 points last night.
Was that the lil scrimmage they had last night in practice after they beat the Heat?....lol..jk

Old 05-16-2011, 12:10 PM

So, the big question is you are the Heat....what do you do differently?

They shot 47% from the floor so it's hard to ask for much more improvement there.
Got slaughtered on the boards and from 3pt. range...probably too many turnovers as well but some of that is just the Bulls defense.

I mean, perhaps the bulls shoot 6 of 21 instead of 10 of 21 from 3pt range but then you still lose by 9pts.

I'm thinking that they put more beef in the paint with Haslem etc. early on? I guess that when you get beat by defense and rebounding it's kinda hard to fix other than to try to put more size in the line-up.....which they don't have.

I guess I'm a little surprised as I sit here analytically if I'm in the Heats shoes I'm not sure how I fix up or mitigate the areas needing improvement. Haslem must clearly not be at 100% and the Heat may be forced to play small ball limiting their options.

Old 05-16-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So, the big question is you are the Heat....what do you do differently?

They shot 47% from the floor so it's hard to ask for much more improvement there.
Got slaughtered on the boards and from 3pt. range...probably too many turnovers as well but some of that is just the Bulls defense.

I'm thinking that they put more beef in the paint with Haslem etc. early on?

They need to limit second chance points. The Heat shot 47%,which is a pretty respectable percentage given the Bulls defense, in fact they shot better than the Bulls( 43%). The biggest difference was Chicago took 20 more shots as a result of offensive rebounds. The Heat need to beef up their frontline somehow, Spoelstra wants to play small ball to space out the Bulls defense, the problem with that is it makes the Heat even weaker on the boards. Re-watching portions of that game, sometimes you had one or two Heat players trying to rebound with 4 Bulls. Ahhh not going to work, as I said before the Heat will have to take an 'all hands on deck' approach to rebounding. In fact on many occasions I saw Heat players not even attempting to block out, they watched the shot go up, and then the Bulls bigs were coming right over the top( culminating with Gibson's emphatic putback jam to seal the game). The Heat need to put a body on those Bulls bigs, and it's going to mean playing their bigger players like Haslem, Big Z, Dampier. Yeah those guys aren't as quick footed as Gibson, Noah, etc but trying to counter those guys with undersized guys is definitely the wrong approach.

I would also put Lebron more in the post, and make Deng defend him from there. I think Lebron trying to take Deng off the dribble works to Deng's advantage as he has the lateral quickness to keep up with Lebron, and it plays into the Bulls defense. Lebron at 6'9, 260 is big enough, strong enough, and athletic enough to play inside and at least put some pressure on the Bulls interior.

I don't know what the purpose of putting Haslem in with 3 minutes left served, yet he gave Jamal Magloire a fair amount of minutes? Questionable strategy there, IMHO...

Last edited by Roman77; 05-16-2011 at 12:36 PM..

Old 05-16-2011, 12:56 PM

2,716 posts, read 2,614,000 times
Heat In 6. I just want to Clevelands reaction win Lebron gets a championship. Especially the Cavs owner.

(there is no one in the west who can beat Miami or Chicago)

Old 05-16-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
They need to limit second chance points. The Heat shot 47%,which is a pretty respectable percentage given the Bulls defense, in fact they shot better than the Bulls( 43%). The biggest difference was Chicago took 20 more shots as a result of offensive rebounds. The Heat need to beef up their frontline somehow, Spoelstra wants to play small ball to space out the Bulls defense, the problem with that is it makes the Heat even weaker on the boards. Re-watching portions of that game, sometimes you had one or two Heat players trying to rebound with 4 Bulls. Ahhh not going to work, as I said before the Heat will have to take an 'all hands on deck' approach to rebounding. In fact on many occasions I saw Heat players not even attempting to block out, they watched the shot go up, and then the Bulls bigs were coming right over the top( culminating with Gibson's emphatic putback jam to seal the game). The Heat need to put a body on those Bulls bigs, and it's going to mean playing their bigger players like Haslem, Big Z, Dampier. Yeah those guys aren't as quick footed as Gibson, Noah, etc but trying to counter those guys with undersized guys is definitely the wrong approach.

I would also put Lebron more in the post, and make Deng defend him from there. I think Lebron trying to take Deng off the dribble works to Deng's advantage as he has the lateral quickness to keep up with Lebron, and it plays into the Bulls defense. Lebron at 6'9, 260 is big enough, strong enough, and athletic enough to play inside and at least put some pressure on the Bulls interior.

I don't know what the purpose of putting Haslem in with 3 minutes left served, yet he gave Jamal Magloire a fair amount of minutes? Questionable strategy there, IMHO...
I pretty much agree with you about the small ball just not going to work vs. the Bulls. I question the health of Haslem etc. but what other choice do the really have?

Lebron playing inside tends to gum things up for others and just isn't his strength, it's clearly something he needs to work on to improve. It just happens that if you made a list of 10 guys in the NBA that can make Lebron work for his shots the Bulls have 2 of them.

One very cogent pt. made by an announcer last night was how the Bulls actually go after Wade when he has the ball. Most teams don't even dare try and the Bulls were actually hounding wade.

P.S. I personally feel that Deng should be somewhere on the all-defense team. I mean serioulsy, you have the best defense in the league....boozer and rose are not great defenders....and only Noah makes 2nd squad. Um, does note compute....

Old 05-16-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Heat In 6. I just want to Clevelands reaction win Lebron gets a championship. Especially the Cavs owner.

(there is no one in the west who can beat Miami or Chicago)
While I am a Bulls fan, Dallas is the real deal...I have not followed OKC enough to comment on them.

Dallas and Chicago are EASILY the most underestimated teams in the playoffs when you consider their seeding etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball