Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who ya got?
Heat in 4 0 0%
Heat in 5 2 9.52%
Heat in 6 6 28.57%
Heat in 7 0 0%
Bulls in 4 1 4.76%
Bulls in 5 1 4.76%
Bulls in 6 7 33.33%
Bulls in 7 4 19.05%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:59 AM

590 posts, read 1,012,829 times

Advertisements

There is a difference in experience and Chicago is paying the price. To the guy complaining about Bears/Hawk/Bulls....that's much more than most cities would hope for. NFC final, game 7 Hawk, Bulls in Eastern Conf final....that's a great streak under any standard. Chicago has been playing at the top in different sports, what other cities got that far?

From a Heat fan, congratulations to the Bulls for making it to the finals (and it's not over, you never know) and play the kind of tough basketball they are playing. Look at the age of their players...they are a college team playing pro sport and doing very well at it, can't be disppointed.

Heat is now a more complete team, and defensively they can hold anybody. I don't know what Chicago should do in game 5, after all I thought we (Heat) were going to lose yesterday by the way it was going and with Wade being off his game, but somehow the Bulls let the Heat hang around, paid for it in the end.
That's when experience comes into play. The Bulls could have closed the game several times yesterday, still did not have enough consistency to do so. But there is no doubt that no team (other than maybe Okla) is growing as fast as the Bulls are in the NBA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 08:17 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoItaly View Post
There is a difference in experience and Chicago is paying the price. To the guy complaining about Bears/Hawk/Bulls....that's much more than most cities would hope for. NFC final, game 7 Hawk, Bulls in Eastern Conf final....that's a great streak under any standard. Chicago has been playing at the top in different sports, what other cities got that far?
My point was those are three brutal ways to end your season in a 5 month span. As a fan your emotions are the highest when you are near a championship, playing a rival or in a win or go home game. We have lost all of those types in a very short period of time.

Would I have rather had those three teams in last place? Of course not, but that would not have stung as badly - not even close.

Mathguy- I could write paragraphs about Lebron, but I hold back when it comes to him because I know it's just personal disdain for him, and me going off on him wouldn't add anything to our forum

Old 05-25-2011, 09:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's not really fair. The Heat have been game planning for D-Rose every night. D-Rose is kinda like Mike Vick in the sense that he's nasty when he's free to do what he wants, but can be effectively contained when he becomes the focus of a defense. If Pat Riley could come up with defensive schemes to make life difficult for Jordan, he can certainly come up with some to make life difficult for a 23-year old who's not nearly as unstoppable as His Airness.
"Took a good shot??" It was a freaking airball for crying out loud. And yes, for long-time Bulls fans it's hard not to compare Rose to Jordan... but the last few games have laid bare the difference between the two. Jordan got it done no matter who was in his face. Rose simply isn't getting it done when it matters. That and because he had been "effectively contained" is why you have to strongly consider putting it in someone else's hands.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:26 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,492,310 times
Win or lose i still love the bulls, .

Experience always beats youth. They'll come back next year even better .

Old 05-25-2011, 10:55 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"Took a good shot??" It was a freaking airball for crying out loud. And yes, for long-time Bulls fans it's hard not to compare Rose to Jordan... but the last few games have laid bare the difference between the two. Jordan got it done no matter who was in his face. Rose simply isn't getting it done when it matters. That and because he had been "effectively contained" is why you have to strongly consider putting it in someone else's hands.
Wasn't the shot at the end of regulation the one where he went one-on-one against Lebron and missed at 85 all? That shot wasn't an airball. I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Derrick Rose is 22/23 years old. At that age, Jordan was just getting over a foot injury and going nowhere on a lousy team. Can we at least give the kid 5 years to make something happen? I mean, he's clearly got the talent, and I think he has a penchant for big games. It's totally unfair to compare any player to Jordan, but even if we do try and compare rose to the GOAT, we have to at least give him time to grow as a player before we can hold him to that standard.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:01 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's not really fair. The Heat have been game planning for D-Rose every night. D-Rose is kinda like Mike Vick in the sense that he's nasty when he's free to do what he wants, but can be effectively contained when he becomes the focus of a defense. If Pat Riley could come up with defensive schemes to make life difficult for Jordan, he can certainly come up with some to make life difficult for a 23-year old who's not nearly as unstoppable as His Airness.

A low percentage shot? It almost went in. What are you talking about? That shot may have been low percentage for Ronnie Brewer, but that was not a low percentage shot for Derrick Rose. True, it's lower percentage than a dunk, but that's obvious. I thought Rose took a good shot at the end; it just didn't go down.

There's nothing the Bulls could have done differently to make their fans happy. Other than hit the game-winning shot, that is.

If Rose had driven to the hoop (with the defense prepared for just that and ready to take a charge):

"Why didn't he take the J? Miami's help D was clearly ready for him to drive."

If Deng took the shot:

"Why in the world do you not give the MVP of the League the ball in the most critical juncture of the most critical game of the season? Terrible coaching call!"

Let me break it down for you. The last shot involved Rose dribbling and just fading away from the basket and launching up a very long jump shot.

A higher percentage PLAY i should say would have been

Rose drving toward the basket which would have drew lots of attention and forced him to give it up to Boozer or Deng or the wing for the open shot. That shot that Rose took was a HERO SHOT

Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You won't see Rose or LBJ guarding each other at all this series unless it's a broken play like a fast break. You probably wont even see Wade and Rose guarding each other much either unless foul trouble crops up or just the occasional switch.
Right. Did you really think that they wouldn't throw their most athletic players at D-Rose for a significant number of posessions? Lebron was assigned to guard Rose in the fourth quarter and his defense likely won them the game.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:53 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Let me break it down for you. The last shot involved Rose dribbling and just fading away from the basket and launching up a very long jump shot.

Rose drving toward the basket which would have drew lots of attention and forced him to give it up to Boozer or Deng or the wing for the open shot. That shot that Rose took was a HERO SHOT

Rose had 6 seconds left to go, Miami had done an excellent job of cutting off his drives most of the night, none of his shooters on the perimeter had proven themselves up for the task of hitting shots off his penetration, and on the prior play, Lebron was called for an offensive foul driving to the basket. Rose, while it may seem like a poor shot in hindsight, has to make a split second decision on what gives his team the best chance for success:

1) Him trying to take Lebron one on one and launching a jumpshot for the win

2) Driving into the wall of Miami defenders and risk getting called for an offensive foul, giving Miami a chance to win the game in regulation

3) Drive and kick to someone spotting up on the perimeter, who Miami has done an excellent job of challenging, and being bashed because he didn't take the last shot.

It's very easy to play armchair analyst after the fact, but in reality that really wasn't Rose's fault. He took what the defense gave him, and missed. S**t happens....

Old 05-25-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post

It's not necessarily a higher percentage shot just because it's closer. You also have to account for long guys like Bosh and Anthony (and even Wade) stepping up to fill the lane. Given the way Rose has been slashing to the basket this series (and the whole season), I think the Heat were overprepared for that possibility. A drive to the basket could have resulted in a foul, but it also could have resulted in a blocked shot, or worse, a charge.

Rose was the only person who should have taken that shot last night and the shot he took was a reasonable one. You're acting as if he took one of Kobe's wild fadeaway three-pointers circa 1999. He almost hit that shot in LBJ's face. That would have been ballgame, everyone on here would be predicting the Bulls in 6, and Rose would be elevated to basketball deity. But he didn't make it, so now everyone's saying that it was a bad shot, he's not clutch enough, and whatever other non-sense.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:03 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Rose had 6 seconds left to go, Miami had done an excellent job of cutting off his drives most of the night, none of his shooters on the perimeter had proven themselves up for the task of hitting shots off his penetration, and on the prior play, Lebron was called for an offensive foul driving to the basket. Rose, while it may seem like a poor shot in hindsight, has to make a split second decision on what gives his team the best chance for success:

1) Him trying to take Lebron one on one and launching a jumpshot for the win

2) Driving into the wall of Miami defenders and risk getting called for an offensive foul, giving Miami a chance to win the game in regulation

3) Drive and kick to someone spotting up on the perimeter, who Miami has done an excellent job of challenging, and being bashed because he didn't take the last shot.

It's very easy to play armchair analyst after the fact, but in reality that really wasn't Rose's fault. He took what the defense gave him, and missed. S**t happens....

Whether it's in the 1st or 4th quarter, a fade away jump shot is always going to be a low percentage shot since you are going further away from the basket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball