Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the series?
Mavs 12 63.16%
Thunder 7 36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:55 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
At the end of his contract with the Mavs Steve Nash was near the end of his peak years as an NBA player. He was looking for a five or six year deal. Now granted he's played about three years of very high quality basketball for the Suns but last year showed he's finished as an elite level NBA player. Plus HE WAS AWAYS a DEFENSIVE LIABILITY.
The Mavs gambled and lost on this one - I don't necessarily fault the logic (aging player, some injury concerns, desire for a long term deal, etc)

However, it just didn't pan out the way they thought it would

Nash just finished his 7th season in phoenix, averaging just over 77 regular season games a year and close to 10 playoff games a season (while logging a ton of minutes) - a pair of MVP awards - has led the league in assists 5 of those seasons - even this last season he was still pretty good and at worst statistically equivalent to his last year in dallas

It's very similar to the decision the suns made with Amare - with guaranteed contracts they just didn't like the risk associated with the length & dollar amounts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 11:04 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,983 times
Can't really blame Dallas for that, to be honest. Nash was 31 and conventional wisdom was that he had more good years behind him than ahead. Frankly, I don't think you would have seen Nash 'emerge' like he did had he stayed in Dallas. He was an all-star point guard, but certainly not a HOF prospect at that point. Credit to D'Antoni's system for giving Nash the freedom to fully utilize his offensive skills, but I also think that the rule changes to give the perimeter player more freedom aided him as well. You don't simply make 'that' level of jump like Nash did,at an age when guards slowly begin their decline, without certain circumstances coming into play.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:15 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
I'm not blaming them either - but it did decisively work against them and I'm sure there were many factors in play

In part D'Antonis system ... but to a large degree he was at his best while doing the same things he did with the mavs .... rule changes are huge, not only has it opened the game up for PGs they have also removed some of the beating he's received ..... he also didn't get significant run in his first 4 years and was 26 when he started getting serious minutes ... the suns training staff is also superb ... there are also things like his shooting percentage dramatically going up across the board, which is pretty hard to predict

So again - I don't blame them for making the move and you could argue that it was the sound move at the time (I know it was a pretty hot debate topic on both ends with both the mavs & suns fans) - however, in hindsight it's pretty clear how this one turned out

Old 05-19-2011, 02:54 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Amazing feat. Haywood was on the radio today and they were talking about Dirks ridiculous shooting night and he said Dirk isnt even the best pure shooter on the team. He said Peja just the other day made 96/100 three point shots in practice including 57 in a row! That is crazy in a game or not.
I hope Peja comes to life tonight and was only rusty in Game 1; the Mavs really need that outside threat.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:18 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
He will. Theyre going to try to front Dirk and slide defenders, should create some open shots. Peja is very capable of going 6/6 like he did in game 4 against the Lakers.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:55 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,118,572 times
ewww, sluggish. They cant have slow periods like that. OKC was just more consistent. JT's gotta get more than 8. Game On!

Old 05-19-2011, 09:56 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
The Thunder bench came through tonite with Harden and Maynor coming up big. Collison played scrappy D as usual. As far as Westbrook, that kid is stubborn. He tried to many 1-on-1 plays. He needs to be a playmaker. I was glad to see him benched for the entire 4th.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:21 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
I noticed the mavs have two weaknesses

1. Deshawn Stevenson

2. Brandon Haywood

Old 05-20-2011, 04:28 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,505 times
The first game the Mavs have lost at home in these playoffs. It looks like the Thunder also have a bench unlike what some have proclaimed on here. They are a legitimate contender; this should be another good series.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:17 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,983 times
Man, Durant's facial on Haywood....... HOLY S**T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball