U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 07:53 AM

52,055 posts, read 41,872,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Rose hit Wade's elbow, that's where the foul was called and it was the right call. I agree about the drive on the baseline though, I've seen the replay and have yet to see where the contact was. In a blowout, a bad call or two doesn't make a huge difference.... but a game decided by 2-3 points, bad momentum-changing calls definitely play a huge factor.
Yeah, at the T on gibson....and the foul on boozer rebounding earlier in the quarter.

Then after the T on gibson....Lebron whined and whined on later plays and got no T.

Overall I don't have a problem with NBA refs, it's a very fast paced game and they don't have the luxury of replay for much of it. Look how many NFL calls are over-turned and those are just the reviewable ones.

Human imperfection might be galling at times but it's part and parcel of being an NBA fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 07:55 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,369,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Human imperfection might be galling at times but it's part and parcel of being an NBA fan.
Thats really well said, and usually I can think this way, I think just the AM after a loss like that its a little harder. I commend you from seperating the analytical side of being a fan from the emotional side - something I struggle with.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:02 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,884,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, at the T on gibson....and the foul on boozer rebounding earlier in the quarter.

Then after the T on gibson....Lebron whined and whined on later plays and got no T.
Were those second half plays? I fell asleep at half-time, and only caught the very end of the game on the TNT re-broadcast earlier this morning. I think the score was like 75-64, something to that effect, and a little over 3 minutes to go when I tuned in...

Old 05-27-2011, 08:04 AM

1,080 posts, read 828,532 times
To quote Shaq, refs wanna take over the effin game

YouTube - ‪Shaq curses on LIVE TV!‬‏ (http://youtu.be/TNRJBnK7xb4 - broken link)

Old 05-27-2011, 08:23 AM

3,569 posts, read 6,027,870 times
Why can't fouls be rechecked on tape again?

Old 05-27-2011, 08:25 AM

28,272 posts, read 26,286,355 times
I wish refs wouldn't call fouls when offensive players initiate contact. Reggie Miller is the first player I recall doing that crap. If a guy's up in the air, and you decide to jump into him, I don't see why that should be a foul. To change the rule as it currently stands would require more subjectivity (as opposed to just saying "there's contact so there's a foul") but I think the cost is worth it. Most times, guys are not even looking to make a basket...they're just looking to draw a foul. That takes away from the game, imo.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:30 AM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,898,256 times
When you think about it, basketball is a difficult sport to ref. Players running up and down and closely together playing defense and offense at the same time. Any time you have simultaneous motion all clumped together, it is hard. The rules itself are what it makes it difficult to interpret at times. I will say this, i believe with the new CBA, they should add a 4th official/ref. Maybe a prereq for the job is to have at least 20/20 vision or better . Also, why not use the replay more often or let each team have 3 replays per game or something instead of only using the replay for under 2 minutes left in game.

As far as the Wade foul, he was definitely hit on the elbow.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:49 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,884,371 times
I really do get the impression that the NBA sometimes 'prefers' certain teams to win because, let's face it, unlike other major North American sports, their stars are highly visible and known even to casuals. Everyone's heard of Kobe, Lebron, Shaq, so on and so on whether you watch the NBA or not. Maybe the Spurs were just too damn good for even the refs to influence the outcome of their games , given that they're a small market. But I get the feeling Stern would much rather have a finals marquee with Boston, LA, Miami, New York, one of the big market teams, and preferably with one of their known stars headlining.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:35 AM

4,969 posts, read 7,325,426 times
I think Tim Donaghy, pretty much, wraps up the honesty of the NBA and the refereeing, it's 1/2way to the WWE.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:29 PM

14 posts, read 13,297 times
The officials are pretty terrible, in my opinion. But they're not the worst in all of sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or