Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 10:38 PM

10 posts, read 23,337 times

Advertisements

I'm not the kind of person to blame the refs, but damn was I upset with those touch calls in the 4th. Rose did not even touch Wade on that 3 pointer, Wade just kicked his leg out on his follow through. Then Wade drives for a layup on the baseline for a 3 point play, but when they showed the replay Rose did not even come near him. In the final minutes of such an important game, you CANNOT make those ticky tacky calls. And the technical foul on Gibson was a complete joke. Let's also give Lebron an academy award for faking like he got punched by Mike Tyson. Then afterwards he had the nerve to wink at the official. I am disgusted right now. Few out this serious Refe made so terrible call getting Miami to the line ever time Bulls never get no calls being hack all game long all of sutton Miami get 5 call already if u look at it how it is I think the refe was pay to call bs call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 10:42 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,495 times
Does Elmer Fudd have trouble with the letter R?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:46 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,197,612 times
Is a mobious loop infinite?

Old 05-26-2011, 11:20 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0123 View Post
Rose did not even touch Wade on that 3 pointer, Wade just kicked his leg out on his follow through.
Bad calls went both ways throughout the series like any other series, but on that 3 Rose did touch Wade's elbow...watch the replays and you'll see.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:05 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
as a fan of the knicks, i don't feel sorry for the bulls at all. bad calls both ways this series, IMO. your players didn't get injured by dirty players and no calls. the refs didn't lose the games for you, you guys did.

*shrugs*

to answer your question tho, the refs are absolutely TERRIBLE and are absolutely (again, IMO) fixing games. its bull.

the boston/knicks series is bull IMHO. the outcome would have been different had the refs done their jobs without bias. i'm not saying that we would have beaten the celtics but we would have at least not have gotten swept.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:52 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
The way the game is played and the way the rules are written, a lot of NBA calls are very subjective. Baseball is pretty black and white (even the strike zone is pretty consitent and safe/out is limited by human sensor processing). Hockey is pretty black and white too. Football, while the most complex is not that hard to ref except the subjective "Was it PI or not?" type calls.

But basketball has big inconsistencies: star vs no star, home vs away, charge vs block, etc. Plus the refs have a lot of other things to process with their brains: all sorts of timing things, offensive and defensive three seconds, five seconds, ten seconds, etc.

Ideally these mistakes even out. How often, can anyone actually think of an instance, do referees actually determine the results of a playoff?

Old 05-27-2011, 07:03 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The way the game is played and the way the rules are written, a lot of NBA calls are very subjective. Baseball is pretty black and white (even the strike zone is pretty consitent and safe/out is limited by human sensor processing). Hockey is pretty black and white too. Football, while the most complex is not that hard to ref except the subjective "Was it PI or not?" type calls.

But basketball has big inconsistencies: star vs no star, home vs away, charge vs block, etc. Plus the refs have a lot of other things to process with their brains: all sorts of timing things, offensive and defensive three seconds, five seconds, ten seconds, etc.

Ideally these mistakes even out. How often, can anyone actually think of an instance, do referees actually determine the results of a playoff?
Determine solely? Probably never, but have an influence? Way too frequently, and I think thats what a lot of peoples problems are.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:26 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,451,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Bad calls went both ways throughout the series like any other series, but on that 3 Rose did touch Wade's elbow...watch the replays and you'll see.
+1. My exact words. It went both ways.

As for the NBA ref...
The NBA is a close game. If you really looked at the NFL for instance, look how many players get away with holds and push offs. They just don't get called since refs can't eye every player. Soccer, another sport, is littered with flopping. So in all, all sports have questionable calls. Though, refs try to play the fair call alot i.e. no-calls on fouls, makeup fouls, etc.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:47 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King0123 View Post

Rose did not even touch Wade on that 3 pointer, Wade just kicked his leg out on his follow through. Then Wade drives for a layup on the baseline for a 3 point play
Rose hit Wade's elbow, that's where the foul was called and it was the right call. I agree about the drive on the baseline though, I've seen the replay and have yet to see where the contact was. In a blowout, a bad call or two doesn't make a huge difference.... but a game decided by 2-3 points, bad momentum-changing calls definitely play a huge factor.

Old 05-27-2011, 07:49 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
+1. My exact words. It went both ways.

As for the NBA ref...
The NBA is a close game. If you really looked at the NFL for instance, look how many players get away with holds and push offs. They just don't get called since refs can't eye every player. Soccer, another sport, is littered with flopping. So in all, all sports have questionable calls. Though, refs try to play the fair call alot i.e. no-calls on fouls, makeup fouls, etc.
I agree, refs have a tough, thankless job. You are essentially always going to be the villian. However, I do think the NBA could revisit its entire approach to how it instructs its officals to officiate. Human error will always be a part of sports, and I am ok with that, but there is certainly room for improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball