U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 02:18 PM

28,371 posts, read 26,417,755 times

Advertisements

^^That's why I put Bird on my list. He would chew your grandma's face off if she was standing in the way of a Championship. He's the 2nd most intense player ever in my book after Michael Jordan. He was a mean and nasty son-of-a-gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 02:18 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,423,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Wow. You'd put KG, Wade, and Lebron on your list over Karl Malone?

he said only people he has seen play... so this list is a shame anyway.

You're right, None of those guys are better than Karl Malone.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post

You're right, None of those guys are better than Karl Malone.
If he's seen Michael Jordan play then he's obviously seen Karl Malone play. I think it's just an oversight on his part.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:20 PM

22,350 posts, read 32,312,760 times
Quote:

Agree - Top ten

I really do like Wade and as much as i dislike the Heat do appreciate his game. But top 10? I mean really top 10? maybe top 10 of the 2010's but no way and KG either; both very good ball players but neihter should even be mentioned in the top 10 of the game; I mean seriously...

Old 05-31-2011, 02:24 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,896,485 times
Quote:

I was struggling to come up with the bottom half to be frank. And as you'll note, I put a note next to Wade saying I'd have to think it over a bit more. But to answer your question, Malone has the stats and the longevity. Do I think he's necessarily a better 'player' than Garnett??? Debatable, if you factor in both offensive and defensive ability, versatility, I would give the edge to Garnett. Your mileage may vary, the truth is the guys at the top are really separated by so little that we can call off a bunch of stats and god knows what to make our case. I'm comfortable saying I'd rate Garnett better, but I'm not opposed to someone saying Malone was better. Hell, I'm not opposed to someone saying Dirk is better than Garnett. It's all debatable, really....Hell you can throw Barkley, Stockton, David Robinson, Jason Kidd, there's a few guys in this mix...when I get home from work I'll go deeper.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Agree - Top ten

I really do like Wade and as much as i dislike the Heat do appreciate his game. But top 10? I mean really top 10? maybe top 10 of the 2010's but no way and KG either; both very good ball players but neihter should even be mentioned in the top 10 of the game; I mean seriously...
If you saw my post, it was based on who are the top ten I've seen play. So the list will be from players in the past 20 years. I thought I made that clear in my first post.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I was struggling to come up with the bottom half to be frank. And as you'll note, I put a note next to Wade saying I'd have to think it over a bit more. But to answer your question, Malone has the stats and the longevity. Do I think he's necessarily a better 'player' than Garnett??? Debatable, if you factor in both offensive and defensive ability, versatility, I would give the edge to Garnett. Your mileage may vary, the truth is the guys at the top are really separated by so little that we can call off a bunch of stats and god knows what to make our case. I'm comfortable saying I'd rate Garnett better, but I'm not opposed to someone saying Malone was better. Hell, I'm not opposed to someone saying Dirk is better than Garnett. It's all debatable, really....Hell you can throw Barkley, Stockton, David Robinson, Jason Kidd, there's a few guys in this mix...when I get home from work I'll go deeper.
See, I think of KG differently now. Before going to the Celtics, I thought of KG as a super-talented player who didn't have what it takes to win. Obviously, now that he's won, I see him in a different light. Malone, on the other hand, never won, but I can't blame that on him. He had to go against Jordan. You might as well blame someone for dying.

KG is more versatile, but Karl Malone was just damned good. And this is coming from someone who hated Karl Malone with a passion. As a kid, I remember punching walls and yelling, "Why does that bo-legged, knot-kneed fadeaway jumper of his keep going in???"

Old 05-31-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
See, I think of KG differently now. Before going to the Celtics, I thought of KG as a super-talented player who didn't have what it takes to win. Obviously, now that he's won, I see him in a different light. Malone, on the other hand, never won, but I can't blame that on him. He had to go against Jordan. You might as well blame someone for dying.

KG is more versatile, but Karl Malone was just damned good. And this is coming from someone who hated Karl Malone with a passion. As a kid, I remember punching walls and yelling, "Why does that bo-legged, knot-kneed fadeaway jumper of his keep going in???"
What's your thoughts on Barkley-Malone? That was like the 90's version of the Garnett-Duncan argument.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Is it really? Because when you think about it, naming a top 10 best players you've seen actually requires thinking about things a bit differently. Most people have Jordan, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Russel, Oscar, Bird and so forth in their top 10 list. But in reality, how many here saw Wilt? Russell? Jerry West? While I didn't want to hijack the OP's intent of the thread, I thought I'd throw a slightly different angle into the debate.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:34 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,956,356 times
Flame away...
1. Magic
2. Jordan
3. Wilt
4. Lebron
5. Russell
6. Kareem
7. Shaq
8. Kobe
9. Bird
10. Hakeem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball