Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 11:27 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,403,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Championships matter to a degree. But it still doesn't discredit players who didn't earn one like Stockton, Malone, Miller, Barkley, etc. Championships are about the TEAM not the PLAYER. It just means the PLAYERS that earned one had good/great TEAMMATES.
The only thing I can agree with. Well said though.

Quote:
My bad. Postseason MVP is a given; the MVP trophy goes to the winning team. Dirk was the most deserving from that team; thus, his win of the trophy.
YES, DIRK!!! Well deserved. A man of character. Lebron can learn a few things from Dirk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Tomorrow is Lebron James Appreciation Day. Everyone gets to go home 12 minutes early.
HAHAHA...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 11:11 AM

419 posts, read 994,878 times
I think this sums it up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6657623/nba-finals-game-6-retro-diary
Passed along by a friend of mine in NBA circles: LeBron caved from the never-ending scrutiny (as brutal as any athlete has ever faced in the Internet era) and his shaky inner circle, which consists of one parent (his mother, who battled a ton of problems over the years), his high school friends (who assumed an inordinately crucial role in his life without any real experience), his agents (who never threw their bodies in front of "The Decision"), and Miami's management (who walked him into another fiasco with the Heat's Welcome Party). By all accounts, he's a genuinely nice and happy guy who just wants to be liked — he was never meant to be a villain, and as much as he tried to feed off the heat (no pun intended), once it piled up past a certain point, he broke. Maybe he felt that happening against the 2010 Celtics as well; maybe that's why he chose to play with Wade in the first place.

And maybe that's why, right now, he's in total denial. Even in the postgame presser, when he should have been devastated the same way Magic Johnson was distraught after coming up small in the 1984 Finals, LeBron was doing the Frank Drebin "Nothing to see here, please disperse" routine, bristling at the notion that he choked and taking shots at anyone who rooted against him. That's what you do when you're surrounded by enablers — you blame everyone else, and you never look within. He never understood that people only rooted against him because that's what you do when someone boasts before they've ever actually done anything.

Let's say you're in college and one of your buddies says, "See that girl over there? I'm taking her home tonight. And I'm doing this because I'm the funniest and best-looking guy in this room." And let's say he's COMPLETELY serious. Guess what you're doing if it doesn't happen? You're making fun of him. Relentlessly. Really, that's what 50 percent of the Miami-related vitriol was about; the other 50 percent was because LeBron tried to stack the deck by playing with his biggest rival (we didn't respect it), and because he broke Cleveland's hearts on national TV (we didn't like it). To this day, LeBron hasn't shown any real regret about last summer; that's the main reason everyone rooted against him. He couldn't handle it. He caved. And now we're here.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:30 AM

531 posts, read 2,893,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOAPRESIDENT View Post
I think this sums it up:
I loved that article. Simmons almost always nails it and this was right on.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:48 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,435,162 times
Quote:
I think this sums it up:
Nice read but the big difference...

The girl situation. Let's fast forward 10 months later. Would we still be making fun of them about that instance 10 months later? Hell No. There is no way anyone would have remembered it.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:31 PM

419 posts, read 994,878 times
Quote:
Nice read but the big difference...

The girl situation. Let's fast forward 10 months later. Would we still be making fun of them about that instance 10 months later? Hell No. There is no way anyone would have remembered it.
What girl situation?

Old 06-14-2011, 01:18 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,435,162 times
Quote:
What girl situation?
Quote:
Let's say you're in college and one of your buddies says, "See that girl over there? I'm taking her home tonight. And I'm doing this because I'm the funniest and best-looking guy in this room." And let's say he's COMPLETELY serious. Guess what you're doing if it doesn't happen? You're making fun of him. Relentlessly. Really, that's what 50 percent of the Miami-related vitriol was about; the other 50 percent was because LeBron tried to stack the deck by playing with his biggest rival (we didn't respect it), and because he broke Cleveland's hearts on national TV (we didn't like it). To this day, LeBron hasn't shown any real regret about last summer; that's the main reason everyone rooted against him. He couldn't handle it. He caved. And now we're here
The bottom part of the article.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:23 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,114,498 times
...because he wastes Macy's ad revenue

...because nobody in the third world countries will want the Heat championship attire

...because he immediately walks off the court without showing good sportsmanship to the other team

...because Chris Bosh looks like a dinosaur

Old 06-14-2011, 02:30 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,247,444 times
LeBron gives an air of cockiness. But he is still young and will mature, just as Kobe has done in recent years.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:22 PM

8,875 posts, read 13,850,323 times
I'm actually indifferent now about Lebron.

I just passively root for continued failure for the Cavaliers (like they need any help doing it) following the rather childish actions and comments since James left for greener pastures.

The Owner up there in Cleveland is nothing more than a total jackwagon and he's getting his just dues now. HA!

Old 06-14-2011, 06:47 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,803,093 times
I'm sorry, I don't mean to pile on but I just have to post this....

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/248487_10150641013460153_501525152_19298185_492339 3_n.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball