U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 07:27 PM

1,362 posts, read 1,575,881 times

Advertisements

cuz, they're both tall, blonde white dudes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 09:58 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,047,975 times
They shoot 3 pointas

Old 06-10-2011, 10:03 PM

3,062 posts, read 3,241,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
I just find it funny that Bird is the only legend the media is comparing Dirk to when plays a different style of ball. He is a 7fter with the best jumper in the game. He can take you to off the dribble and finish at the cup with ease as he showed the Heat. He is probably a hardest match-up offensively in the game right now.

Bird never demanded a double team and he had several legends on his team. The closest you are going to get to a legend on the Mavs is Jason Kid. Outside of legendary LA teams and legendary Spurs teams, the Mavs has been a dominant team in the Western Conference. Eastern Conference just this season became the dominant conference with Lebron joining Wade & Bosh. Plus Melo and Amare coming to New York. Dirk's Mavs had the championship in 06 but they choked hard. Him coming back, now with a whole different team and coach, is testament of being one of the greats in his era.

He isn't Bird
He isn't Magic
He isn't MJ

He is Dirk.

because he's white.....

Old 06-11-2011, 06:28 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,897,021 times
They couldn't be more different in terms of play style. Really, the only reason they're being compared is because they're tall, white jumpshooters. Anyone who's seen Bird knows there's no comparison in play style. Actually, I've always said you'd see another Jordan-like player( in terms of style) before you saw another Bird. And you have seen it: Vince Carter, Kobe, Tmac, Wade, Lebron all have certain Jordan-like characteristics to varying degrees, but I haven't seen anyone like Bird since he retired.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:54 AM

7,565 posts, read 11,938,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Anyone who's seen Bird knows there's no comparison in play style.
Exactly - I think it has to do with different body types as much as anything.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:20 AM

2,127 posts, read 1,693,610 times
Quote:
They couldn't be more different in terms of play style. Really, the only reason they're being compared is because they're tall, white jumpshooters. Anyone who's seen Bird knows there's no comparison in play style. Actually, I've always said you'd see another Jordan-like player( in terms of style) before you saw another Bird. And you have seen it: Vince Carter, Kobe, Tmac, Wade, Lebron all have certain Jordan-like characteristics to varying degrees, but I haven't seen anyone like Bird since he retired.
This is a strange post. I could say that Dirk has certain Bird-like characteristics to varying degrees as well, but Dirk -> Bird is just as terrible of a comparison as McGrady -> Jordan.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
This is a strange post. I could say that Dirk has certain Bird-like characteristics to varying degrees as well, but Dirk -> Bird is just as terrible of a comparison as McGrady -> Jordan.
No it isn't a strange post. I saw a lot more similarities in terms of offensive style and overall style between Tmac and Jordan, then I do Dirk and Bird. Asides from being a great shooter, there isn't one aspect of Dirk's game that resembles Bird's. Tmac had the similar high-flying style, the acrobatics around the rim as Prime Jordan, not to mention the great mid-range game. Even from a stylistic standpoint with the armband on his upper forearm, something that many perimeter players like Carter, Kobe, Wade copied. Jordan pioneered the styles of quite a few great perimeter guards this past decade. And again, I've not seen a single player that reminds me of Bird, and that includes Dirk.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:34 PM

2,127 posts, read 1,693,610 times
Quote:
No it isn't a strange post. I saw a lot more similarities in terms of offensive style and overall style between Tmac and Jordan, then I do Dirk and Bird. Asides from being a great shooter, there isn't one aspect of Dirk's game that resembles Bird's. Tmac had the similar high-flying style, the acrobatics around the rim as Prime Jordan, not to mention the great mid-range game. Even from a stylistic standpoint with the armband on his upper forearm, something that many perimeter players like Carter, Kobe, Wade copied. Jordan pioneered the styles of quite a few great perimeter guards this past decade. And again, I've not seen a single player that reminds me of Bird, and that includes Dirk.
Yeah, I disagree. You're willing to qualify the Jordan comparisons with a phrase like "certain Jordan-like characteristics to varying degrees," but Bird is off limits for you. Personally I don't think any of the players you mentioned are good analogues for Jordan besides Kobe, and I think the whole exercise of forcing comparisons between players is one of the lazier aspects of modern sports journalism. Whatever the case may be, if T-Mac can be compared to Jordan, Dirk can be compared to Bird. Bird himself was honored by it, and they do share "certain characteristics to varying degrees".

Old 06-11-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Yeah, I disagree. You're willing to qualify the Jordan comparisons with a phrase like "certain Jordan-like characteristics to varying degrees," but Bird is off limits for you. Personally I don't think any of the players you mentioned are good analogues for Jordan besides Kobe, and I think the whole exercise of forcing comparisons between players is one of the lazier aspects of modern sports journalism. Whatever the case may be, if T-Mac can be compared to Jordan, Dirk can be compared to Bird. Bird himself was honored by it, and they do share "certain characteristics to varying degrees".
You're entitled to your opinion. Bird and Dirk are nothing alike in how they play the game, AT ALL. Notice I use the term TO VARYING degrees, to say that one player( say Kobe) may channel Jordan much more than another( say Carter) but if you've watched all the guys I've mentioned, you can clearly see aspects of Jordan's influence in them. Did I say Tmac is a carbon copy of Jordan? No, I raised his name to say that I've seen patterns in his game that show some influence by Jordan.

Now as for Dirk and Bird, what do they share besides the same skin color and deft outside shooting touch? Nothing. So if you're using those two characteristics as the points for comparison, we may as well say that any white player who can shoot REALLY good is comparable to Bird. Steve Nash is comparable by that measure then, even if they don't have anything else in common in terms of how they play/played the game. Bird had very advanced passing and playmaking skills from the small forward spot, in fact the term 'point forward' was popularized from his style of play at the forward spot. Dirk doesn't even play the same position, let alone have even REMOTELY close to the same deft passing/playmaking attributes.

So, we'll agree to disagree. I'm sure you'll have a comeback, but nothing that will persuade my view from where it stands.

Last edited by Roman77; 06-11-2011 at 04:04 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 05:26 PM

52,300 posts, read 42,074,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Why do they constantly compare? Well, because ESPN has 24 hours of just sports to cover, and are always trying to say crazy stuff to stay relevant.
^^^^^Which is why I don't watch that crappy channel for anything other than scores or highlights.

They compare the two because they were tall, white and can shoot very very well. Frankly with such unique talents it's actually not THAT bad of a comparison.

I mean, whom do you compare Pippen, Lebron, Barkley etc. to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball