U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 09:04 PM

4,112 posts, read 3,829,155 times

Advertisements

he white
Spoiler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 09:45 PM

6,760 posts, read 10,443,519 times
Dirk and Bird comparison is legit. Both are big white guys who look ungraceful yet still put the ball in the hoop from inside, outside, and 3 point land. The rest is just semantics for those who want to pretend there is no comparison.

Right now Dirk is Finals MVP, and the last white Finals MVP was,,,,Larry Bird.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:02 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,886,663 times
Question: If Dirk was black but otherwise the same player you see before you, would this even be a comparison? Of course not. Stylistically, they're not comparable,and its only because of their skin color and jumpshooting ability that we're having this debate. Two different positions, two different skillsets, two different styles, two different players. But we'll pretend they're comparable....

Next comparison: Chauncey Billips and Michael Jordan. They're both black and bald.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:03 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,204,001 times
Both are tall and white. Nothing else.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Both are tall and white. Nothing else.
Thank you!

Old 06-12-2011, 10:06 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,204,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Someone who gets it. Thank you!
Besides that nothing else is similiar. That's the media for ya. You're welcome.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Question: If Dirk was black but otherwise the same player you see before you, would this even be a comparison? Of course not. Stylistically, they're not comparable,and its only because of their skin color and jumpshooting ability that we're having this debate. Two different positions, two different skillsets, two different styles, two different players. But we'll pretend they're comparable....

Next comparison: Chauncey Billips and Michael Jordan. They're both black and bald.
Yes except there are tons of elite black players who are top scorers season after season. Its a rarity with whites.

If another white/black/asian mixed race guy came along and started winning in golf, you don't think anyone would mention he looks a lot like Tiger woods? Especially if he had the same body movements?

Doesn't matter if you like the comparison or the fact that it is mostly made because of race, it is a legit comparison.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post

If another white/black/asian mixed race guy came along and started winning in golf, you don't think anyone would mention he looks a lot like Tiger woods? Especially if he had the same body movements?

Doesn't matter if you like the comparison or the fact that it is mostly made because of race, it is a legit comparison.
If it's based on race, then no I don't think it's a legit comparison. There has to be some similarities in style of play and skillset, hell play the same damn position for god sakes, before making this into some kind of real comparison beyond sharing the same pigment.

So again, please answer what I asked earlier: If Dirk was black but the same player, would you compare him to Bird? Simple yes or no, without bringing Tiger Woods or whoever else you can throw into the mix.

So it's not about what I like, or about how many times you declare it a legit comparison. It doesn't make it so, but you're free to believe what you will. Their skin color is about all they share, power to you if that's your primary basis for comparison. We'll simply agree to disagree, because no way in hell am I belaboring this much longer.

Last edited by Roman77; 06-12-2011 at 10:40 PM..

Old 06-13-2011, 03:37 AM

Quote:
If it's based on race, then no I don't think it's a legit comparison. There has to be some similarities in style of play and skillset, hell play the same damn position for god sakes, before making this into some kind of real comparison beyond sharing the same pigment.

So again, please answer what I asked earlier: If Dirk was black but the same player, would you compare him to Bird? Simple yes or no, without bringing Tiger Woods or whoever else you can throw into the mix.

So it's not about what I like, or about how many times you declare it a legit comparison. It doesn't make it so, but you're free to believe what you will. Their skin color is about all they share, power to you if that's your primary basis for comparison. We'll simply agree to disagree, because no way in hell am I belaboring this much longer.
The thing is, you don't have to "like" the comparison. Its ALL opinion anyway whether it is me talking about it or some overpaid ESPN desk jockey talking about about it. Whether it is a Dirk/Bird comparison, or a Jordan/TMac comparison or whatever.

There is no official rules or guidelines for what makes a comparison allowable or correct. You are allowed to agree or disagree with anyone and make your own comparisons.

When I watch Dirk, I see a a tall and lanky white guy that moves ungracefully, yet is consistently a top scorer, the same thing I saw with Bird. Both are tall guys that were a threat to score from anywhere on the court at any time. There aren't that many 6'9" plus players who are consistent 3 point threats. Yes, the comparisons start coming to an end there. But it definitely goes beyond skin color, although skin color makes it easier to begin the comparison. Its not as if comparisons are only allowed if people are exactly alike because no 2 players are. The similarities between any 2 players that are compared will come to an end at some point when you break it down, so again, it is ALL opinion anyway with ANY comparisons made between ANY athletes. You don't have to like it or agree.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Its ALL opinion anyway

You don't have to like it or agree.
Exactly....... I said we'll agree to disagree a while ago. When I made my initial post in this thread, I spoke specifically to their styles and skillsets. That was MY basis for comparison, and to that end, they're not comparable. YOUR basis is being tall, white, lanky, un-coordinated and can score. You want to compare on that note, that's your option. Since there's no rules here, maybe they share the same underwear brand and are comparable on that note too.... let's throw it all in, shall we?

But...being serious... since we're using totally different arbitrary factors, there's no reason to really discuss the issue further. I still maintain that if Dirk was black, the comparison wouldn't be thrown out and no-one, yourself included, has given an argument on that otherwise.

Hell, Kevin Durant is probably more comparable then. Same height (6'9). Same shooting stroke. Same position. Hey, they're both American too( Dirk is German of course). He's probably a closer match......ooops he's black, scratch that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball