Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 02:00 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times

Advertisements

In those 95 Finals Hakeem the Dream took Shaq to school with so many moves and defeated the Magic in the Finals. So why is Hakeem not ranked number 4 of all time when it comes to NBA centers?

Shouldn't it be this order below?

Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain
Jabbar
Hakeem
Shaq
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 02:33 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,006,642 times
because the youngest Shaq wasn't necessarily the best Shaq. Akeem was a great player, but I don't think he would have been able to stop Shaq (Diesel) circa 1999-2003. It's debatable, but I don't see it happening.

Keep in mind, the picture 15 years later may have been drawn differently if the Magic had of won. The Magic back then lost the game on the line. They were a notoriously poor free throw shooting team...led by shaq in that department.

Personally, in his peak I'd put Shaq in the top 3.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
because the youngest Shaq wasn't necessarily the best Shaq. Akeem was a great player, but I don't think he would have been able to stop Shaq (Diesel) circa 1999-2003. It's debatable, but I don't see it happening.

Keep in mind, the picture 15 years later may have been drawn differently if the Magic had of won. The Magic back then lost the game on the line. They were a notoriously poor free throw shooting team...led by shaq in that department.

Personally, in his peak I'd put Shaq in the top 3.

But Shaq couldn't stop Hakeem when playing defense. And you mention the Shaq of 1999, Hakeem had so many moves for shaq's size to matter

BTW: I always wanted Hakeem to be paired with Magic instead of Jabbar

Old 06-12-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
But Shaq couldn't stop Hakeem when playing defense. And you mention the Shaq of 1999, Hakeem had so many moves for shaq's size to matter

BTW: I always wanted Hakeem to be paired with Magic instead of Jabbar

Shaq was a better player on both ends during his peak than he was early in his career. Akeem was swift, but defensively he wouldn't been able to stop Shaq. Not even Mutumbo could handle him and he was a multi winning Defensive player of the year back then.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Shaq was a better player on both ends during his peak than he was early in his career. Akeem was swift, but defensively he wouldn't been able to stop Shaq. Not even Mutumbo could handle him and he was a multi winning Defensive player of the year back then.
I don't give credit for being unstoppable because you are BIG, i give credit when you have SKILL. Shaq would just overpower guys, that's not skill

Old 06-12-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I don't give credit for being unstoppable because you are BIG, i give credit when you have SKILL. Shaq would just overpower guys, that's not skill
Shaq was not just big. he was BIG and FAST-QUICK. His pivot was incredibly fast against other centers.

sorry I just can't agree. Akeem was a finesse player, quick feet and good hands for a center. But Shaq at his peak was literally unstoppable

Old 06-12-2011, 04:49 PM

297 posts, read 401,259 times
Quote:
Well skill vs. best/who would win are two completely different arguments. No doubt Hakeem was more skilled offensively but that doesn't mean he would have been the better player if the two matched up in their primes. Unless of course you specifically define better as most skilled. Most people do not simply define better as most skilled though.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:51 PM

297 posts, read 401,259 times
Think about Wilt Chamberlin who you have listed as the 2nd best center of all time. From what I have heard he wasn't all that skilled but he was bigger, faster and stronger than all the other centers of his era therefore he was better.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
Think about Wilt Chamberlin who you have listed as the 2nd best center of all time. From what I have heard he wasn't all that skilled but he was bigger, faster and stronger than all the other centers of his era therefore he was better.
I don't include Russell and Chamberlain because they played in a weak era

So my top 5 is

Hakeem
Shaq
Jabbar
Moses
Parish

Old 06-12-2011, 05:23 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
In those 95 Finals Hakeem the Dream took Shaq to school with so many moves and defeated the Magic in the Finals. So why is Hakeem not ranked number 4 of all time when it comes to NBA centers?

Shouldn't it be this order below?

Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain
Jabbar
Hakeem
Shaq
Where is the source for you rankings? After all opinions are like holes.

Personally, I put them about even with each other.

To discount Shaq's "size and athleticism" as unfair in a sport like the NBA is quite franky ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball