Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 05:26 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Where is the source for you rankings? After all opinions are like holes.

Personally, I put them about even with each other.

To discount Shaq's "size and athleticism" as unfair in a sport like the NBA is quite franky ridiculous.
Name 3 things that made Shaq a dominant center besides bowling over people like pins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 06:53 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,566 times

YouTube - ‪Shaq with the monster facial on Olajuwon‬‏
[/thread]

Old 06-12-2011, 07:14 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
post some footage of hakeem taking shaq to work in the finals

Old 06-12-2011, 07:21 PM

3,652 posts, read 4,702,952 times
What Hakeem did to 23 year old Shaq is one thing. It's highly likely that Hakeem matched against the Shaq we saw from 1999-2003 would be a different kettle of fish. That version of Shaq was literally unstoppable. It's safe to say they may have cancelled each other out, but I'd bet money on Hakeem getting into foul trouble trying to contain 2000 Shaq. He was a monster...

As for who's better, I think they're both in the same tier of players, as in the lower half of the top 10 all-time players. And I wouldn't say Shaq is 'always' ranked above Hakeem; I've seen plenty of people say Hakeem was better. Really as Math said, our opinions are like holes on this matter.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:35 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,517,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Name 3 things that made Shaq a dominant center besides bowling over people like pins?
I'm not going to put mustard on your turd sandwich of a post.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:38 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,527,526 times
Shaq is a more notable personality than Hakeem and he is American too. There was also some bias against Hakeem during his first few years. He also doesn't grant interviews freely like Shaq. That is why the media/fans always have Shaq in high regard. I could never put Shaq above Hakeem because my criteria of separating the greatest centers amongst each other is how they played on BOTH sides of the ball. From my knowledge, only Hakeem, Wilt, and Kareem were great on both ends.

For me, Hakeem excelled on the offensive and defense. He had a vast array of moves offensively, good rebounder, and clutch scorer. No need to mention about his defense since everyone knows how great he was. Shaq was no where close defensively.

Also, Shaq had the same game when he entered and the same in his prime. He was the same player at Orlando and Lakers. The reason he seemed more unstoppable in LA was having Kobe helped alot. Opposing teams couldn't just concentrate solely on him though he was the Batman and Kobe the Robin. If anything, he was just as dominating in Orlando, but with a weaker supporting cast. I just wished Hakeem would've been in his prime going up against Shaq. He was 32-33yrs old when they played in the Finals...not exactly a spring chicken.

Last edited by JL; 06-12-2011 at 07:57 PM..

Old 06-12-2011, 08:04 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,449,566 times
Quote:
post some footage of hakeem taking shaq to work in the finals
Most of the footage I remembered Hakeem needed help in order to guard Shaq. Shaq on the other hand guarded him 1-on-1. Just saying.

That playoff series Shaq posted 60% shooting and averaged 29pts, 12.7reb, 7.3ast, 2blk. I wouldn't call that being worked since both of them had monster games in that series.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:11 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,009 times
Quote:
I don't give credit for being unstoppable because you are BIG, i give credit when you have SKILL. Shaq would just overpower guys, that's not skill

YouTube - ‪Steven Seagal - The Good Old Days‬‏

Old 06-12-2011, 08:26 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,399 times
Quote:
In those 95 Finals Hakeem the Dream took Shaq to school with so many moves and defeated the Magic in the Finals. So why is Hakeem not ranked number 4 of all time when it comes to NBA centers?

Shouldn't it be this order below?

Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain
Jabbar
Hakeem
Shaq
Shaq had four championships includig three in a row with the Lakers. He was also the NBA in each of the finals with the Lakers. Olajuwon only had two. Shaq scored more points, and average more points per game. Olajuwon had slightly better rebounding numbers. Currently Shaq is the all time leader in field goal percentage. We won't even go into his All-Star game appearances and MVP awards in those games. Also Shaq averaged over 25 points a game for 10 seasons, compared to five for Olajuwon.

Considering the number of championship and his role on those championship along with is career long dominance in the paint Shaq ranks ahead of Olajuwon in terms of impact in the league.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:28 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,297,399 times
Quote:
That's all you need to do. The point is the guy was by far the most dominant scorer in the pain in his era.

Now what's your point?

I mean REALLY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball