U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:34 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,194,022 times

Advertisements

All I will say, Duncan has been and will remain a center/pf until he retires. Ever since David retired Tim has played at and guarded centers. The spurs played more then 15 mpg this year with Duncan at the 5, and for the last 2 years they have played RJ at the 4 spot with Duncan at the 5. Bonner doesn't guard the 5, Duncan does. Hell Duncan has had many battles with shaq, and Howard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 04:56 PM

1,198 posts, read 2,048,864 times
yeah how come Michael Vick got nowhere near the level of hatred that LeBron James has got?

Old 07-25-2011, 01:42 AM

7,729 posts, read 6,137,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
yeah how come Michael Vick got nowhere near the level of hatred that LeBron James has got?
Because Michael Vick has talent; Lebron is just a overrated athlete

Old 07-25-2011, 06:29 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Lebron has talent; for the first 5-6 years of his career he largely lived up to and exceeded the hype. But 7-8 years into his career, you're starting to hear his name thrown into the mix with guys named Jordan, Magic, Bird....and by those lofty levels he's definitely overrated.

The main problem with this guy is being given too much too soon, without having actually earned it. 90 million Nike contract BEFORE his rookie season, covers on ESPN, having his high school games televised....it's too much. And to some degree his game has plateaued, yeah his jumper is better than 4 years ago, and little bits and pieces are better, but largely he's the same player from 3 years ago. At some point his game needs to really evolve, especially as he gets older. Better footwork, further developing his post-game, would do wonders for him. The thing is, the guy has a natural feel for the game, at some point you figure he has to add facets to his game, or risk having other players catch up. 2 years ago, during his MVP run, this guy was literally unstoppable.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Lebron has talent; for the first 5-6 years of his career he largely lived up to and exceeded the hype. But 7-8 years into his career, you're starting to hear his name thrown into the mix with guys named Jordan, Magic, Bird....and by those lofty levels he's definitely overrated.

The main problem with this guy is being given too much too soon, without having actually earned it. 90 million Nike contract BEFORE his rookie season, covers on ESPN, having his high school games televised....it's too much. And to some degree his game has plateaued, yeah his jumper is better than 4 years ago, and little bits and pieces are better, but largely he's the same player from 3 years ago. At some point his game needs to really evolve, especially as he gets older. Better footwork, further developing his post-game, would do wonders for him. The thing is, the guy has a natural feel for the game, at some point you figure he has to add facets to his game, or risk having other players catch up. 2 years ago, during his MVP run, this guy was literally unstoppable.
I blame Jordan for how players are given so much, yet haven't earned anything. Since Jordan came into the league people have been looking for an ambassador to take over the reigns once he left. To me, lebrick is probably the most overrated player to date. How can he be compared to Jordan when he's not even the best player on his team; let alone the league. Let me ask u this: if there was seconds left on the clock, and ur team is down by two points, who would u rather take the final shot, lebron or d wade?

Old 07-25-2011, 08:37 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,428 times
Quote:
I blame Jordan for how players are given so much, yet haven't earned anything. Since Jordan came into the league people have been looking for an ambassador to take over the reigns once he left. To me, lebrick is probably the most overrated player to date. How can he be compared to Jordan when he's not even the best player on his team; let alone the league. Let me ask u this: if there was seconds left on the clock, and ur team is down by two points, who would u rather take the final shot, lebron or d wade?
To answer your final question first, I would take Wade more often than not.

To address the rest of your post, I don't think it's fair to blame Jordan. If anything, blame the NBA for marketing the stars ahead of the teams. You could make the argument that Jordan's style of play, the aerial acrobatics, gave the NBA( and Nike has their role in this too) a pitchmen to hedge their bets on. And it worked for both parties; the NBA and Nike benefited from Jordan, and Jordan's legend has reached god-like status in the Basketball realm because of the marketing/branding efforts of those two groups. Though I would say, in contrast to Lebron, Jordan always lived up to the hype, even when the stakes were highest.

And certainly, Jordan came into the NBA with little fanfare, it was generally considered that he'd be a good player, but not remotely close to the guy we now know as Michael Jordan. Certainly he wasn't bestowed the role of 'savior' like what happened with Lebron, the 90 million Nike rookie contract, the King nickname, etc. And consider when Lebron entered the league;it was right on the heels of Kobe's sexual assault scandal. Prior to that it had been a battle with Kobe and Vince Carter for the role of 'air apparent', a role that Kobe had more or less claimed by 2002. Then.....BAM, rape case! The NBA was forced to 'move' away from Kobe as the growing face of the league, and up pops Lebron. Godly athletic gifts, affable smile, even wears number 23. We've found the new Jordan!!

But yeah, I don't think this is something you can pin squarely on Jordan, certainly it wasn't his decision to market stars before team, and you could say that phenomenon preceded Jordan; while the Celtics and Lakers were waging war in the 80s, it was being marketed as Magic vs Bird as much as Lakers-Celtics. It was pretty much those guys and their rivalry that brought basketball into the national spotlight; Jordan simply carried the torch and took it to the next level.

Last edited by Roman77; 07-25-2011 at 08:47 AM..

Old 07-25-2011, 09:13 AM

2,532 posts, read 2,945,259 times
Quote:
With Lebron do you really need it to come down to a "final shot"...

Best player on team... statistically, Lebron leads more categories than any of his teammates. Question it some more, look a season back... who with their team of decent/scrubs went the furthest? Let me remind you: Lebron's team, not Wade's.

Lastly, I leave it like this...
How can someone be overrated that...
1) Averaged 26.7 PPG, 7 ast, 7.5 boards, 1.6 steals last year i.e. #2 in PPG, #12 in APG, #10 in SPG with two All-Stars on his roster.
2) Single handly destroyed a basketball team from league best to 2nd worst (i.e. the Cavs)
3) Of active players, he is #1 in tons of categories including PER i.e. over the years

To me, doesn't sound overrated at all. Sounds more like a fan that got their heart hurt when he ditched them and their city for Miami...

Old 07-25-2011, 02:55 PM

2,834 posts, read 1,774,625 times
"And to some degree his game has plateaued, yeah his jumper is better than 4 years ago, and little bits and pieces are better, but largely he's the same player from 3 years ago. At some point his game needs to really evolve, especially as he gets older. Better footwork, further developing his post-game, would do wonders for him."

This new role that Miami has for him is terrible for his game IMO. He's more passive and he's trying more than ever to be Magic Johnson. The offense needs to go through Lebron. He has tools to be more than Magic Johnson- I agree 100% he needs a post game- the same people 4 or 5 years ago crying about his jump shot should have cried harder for a post game- his speed strength combo is too much for anyone down on the blocks.

"Since Jordan came into the league people have been looking for an ambassador to take over the reigns once he left"

Absolutely. He is the benefactor of perfect timing as well- amateur athletes were just starting to get higher praise/ more TV time/ more ESPN air time and analysis his Jr. Sr. year of High School.

"The main problem with this guy is being given too much too soon, without having actually earned it. 90 million Nike contract BEFORE his rookie season, covers on ESPN, having his high school games televised....it's too much"

Well his timing was awesome as I explained above- but he was a rare athlete. He's improved his game don't get me wrong- but he was better in some ways as an 17-18 year- especially his aggressiveness and getting to the rim. That's scary when you consider High School competition. Lebron could have started for the 2003 Returning National Champion OSU Buckeyes as a TE/WR or become the NBA rookie of the year.

"Single handly destroyed a basketball team from league best to 2nd worst (i.e. the Cavs)"

Agree to an extent. Morale, yes. Mo Williams quit before the year began- when he was traded the team played better BUT they also had coaching changes and different philosphies employed, other departures and a stretch of bad injuries to key veterans. They had Alonzo Gee, Manny Harris and Luke Harangody- these D leaguers would have had no place on the roster in 09-10 yet they played significant minutes.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:55 AM

1,198 posts, read 2,048,864 times
Quote:
Michael Vick has no rings either

Old 07-28-2011, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
With Lebron do you really need it to come down to a "final shot"...

Best player on team... statistically, Lebron leads more categories than any of his teammates. Question it some more, look a season back... who with their team of decent/scrubs went the furthest? Let me remind you: Lebron's team, not Wade's.

Lastly, I leave it like this...
How can someone be overrated that...
1) Averaged 26.7 PPG, 7 ast, 7.5 boards, 1.6 steals last year i.e. #2 in PPG, #12 in APG, #10 in SPG with two All-Stars on his roster.
2) Single handly destroyed a basketball team from league best to 2nd worst (i.e. the Cavs)
3) Of active players, he is #1 in tons of categories including PER i.e. over the years

To me, doesn't sound overrated at all. Sounds more like a fan that got their heart hurt when he ditched them and their city for Miami...
Not a Cleveland fan at all. Honestly, for a time I didnt like basketball. I thought the league had become boring. Im a fan of Dwade, I love watching Kobe play, but he love to see him lose. However, Lebron hasn't struck me as a "must see" player yet. This past season has been the most I've watched Lebron, ever. And to be honest...I wasnt impressed at all. D Wade is the heart and soul of that team to me; Lebron is just he superstar. I was impressed at D wade took over on both ends of the floor in the final minutes in the playoffs. I also saw lebron shut down offensively in the final minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball