U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-14-2011, 10:49 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,196,988 times
Reputation: 1982

Advertisements

I call BS, unless you have that game recorded and watch it regularly (you have a lot of spare time), there us no way you know boozer guarded Howard for 20+ minutes, no way. Boozer is nit and does not guard centers, hell he barely guards power forwards as it is. The duties when Noah was down was set to Gibson and asik and then there is Kurt Thomas. Don't forget in the 2 games Noah played vs Howard he only played about 17 minutes due to injury. On top of that, Howard averaged something like 4 fouls and 5 turnovers (I know he had 7 in one game).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2011, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,946,077 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
I call BS, unless you have that game recorded and watch it regularly (you have a lot of spare time), there us no way you know boozer guarded Howard for 20+ minutes, no way. Boozer is nit and does not guard centers, hell he barely guards power forwards as it is. The duties when Noah was down was set to Gibson and asik and then there is Kurt Thomas. Don't forget in the 2 games Noah played vs Howard he only played about 17 minutes due to injury. On top of that, Howard averaged something like 4 fouls and 5 turnovers (I know he had 7 in one game).
Here are the highlights... yes obviously it isn't full game footage but you clearly see Boozer guarding Howard as well as Howard guarding Boozer. Yes, this obviously wasn't the case for the whole game hence why I stated 20+ min; Kurt Thomas shared the other load of the game for the most part... like you said Asik only plays 12 min.


‪Orlando vs Chicago NBA Highlights 01/28/11‬‏ - YouTube

As for Noah, see Varejo. Their goal is to foul out Howard since defensively they can't keep up. They accomplish this through flopping on the defensive end. Their defense consists also of hacking him (which alot of the time should be called flagrant but that is another story). Both ways they still doesn't stop him. Best case, they get him on the bench in foul trouble. Most cases he drops 20+ on them and their teams when not in foul trouble (the one thing he has improved in these 3 years).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,879,801 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post

I get it- You are taking your talents to another thread.
Nope, to a conversation I care enough about. Nice chatting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 01:08 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,196,988 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Here are the highlights... yes obviously it isn't full game footage but you clearly see Boozer guarding Howard as well as Howard guarding Boozer. Yes, this obviously wasn't the case for the whole game hence why I stated 20+ min; Kurt Thomas shared the other load of the game for the most part... like you said Asik only plays 12 min.


‪Orlando vs Chicago NBA Highlights 01/28/11‬‏ - YouTube

As for Noah, see Varejo. Their goal is to foul out Howard since defensively they can't keep up. They accomplish this through flopping on the defensive end. Their defense consists also of hacking him (which alot of the time should be called flagrant but that is another story). Both ways they still doesn't stop him. Best case, they get him on the bench in foul trouble. Most cases he drops 20+ on them and their teams when not in foul trouble (the one thing he has improved in these 3 years).
Come on man you can do better, that's not even the same game. One was in orl, the other in chi. How many videos did it take to get just the right one to show boozer guarding him? I saw 2 plays, both score proving little more then boozer is an average size PF that is a pretty bad defender trying to defend a bigger stronger center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,946,077 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
Come on man you can do better, that's not even the same game. One was in orl, the other in chi. How many videos did it take to get just the right one to show boozer guarding him?
Maybe you didn't watch this...
Orlando Magic vs. Chicago Bulls - Preview - January 28, 2011 - ESPN
Is the score 90 to 99? Check.
Is it in the United Center? Check.
Did Howard score 40 on Bulls big men? Check.

Same game. Boozer had to guard him those 20+ minutes due to Noah being out and Thomas/Asik in foul trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 03:36 PM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,196,988 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Didn't you tell me Howard isn't good offensively? And that with the good games offensively he does have, he does it to weak big men? This year he dropped 40 on those "quality size" bigs you are referring to in Jan.

As for Omar Asik, close your eyes if you are a fan of his...

YouTube - ‪Dwight Howard Posterizes Vs The Bulls‬‏
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Here are the highlights... yes obviously it isn't full game footage but you clearly see Boozer guarding Howard as well as Howard guarding Boozer. Yes, this obviously wasn't the case for the whole game hence why I stated 20+ min; Kurt Thomas shared the other load of the game for the most part... like you said Asik only plays 12 min.


‪Orlando vs Chicago NBA Highlights 01/28/11‬‏ - YouTube

.
you have to make up your mind, we have spent the last 2 pages discussing the 1st game, then you throw in a random second game to try to prove your point, of which i am not sure anyone but YOU know what that might be.

bottom line, the only time boozer has guarded a center is when the team goes small, much like the spurs moving tim to the 5, and having rj play the 4 to speed up the game. and the fact that howards "dominance" has still been on inferior competition. be it asik the rookie, gibson who is not better then asik and much smaller, 95 yr old thomas who has held his own defensively, or boozer whom is notoriously soft. it goes back to a previous thread, howard is facing weaker competition then the bigs of the 80's and 90's.

oh and by the way, how did the magic fair against the bulls? didnt they go 1-3? the only game the magic won, howard shot 42% (5-12) and noah played 9 minutes less and shot 55%. (6-11)

again, i really like howard, i just think you have him completely over rated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Fort Mill, SC
2,532 posts, read 2,946,077 times
Reputation: 1357
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
you have to make up your mind, we have spent the last 2 pages discussing the 1st game, then you throw in a random second game to try to prove your point, of which i am not sure anyone but YOU know what that might be.
1 video showed a clip package on the game when Howard dropped 40pts on the Bulls to show that Boozer did guard Howard for minutes of the game (20+ minutes during game). The other video is just Howard dunking on a Bulls center Asik, no relation to the previous game. Nothing confusing about it.

Quote:
and the fact that howards "dominance" has still been on inferior competition. be it asik the rookie, gibson who is not better then asik and much smaller, 95 yr old thomas who has held his own defensively, or boozer whom is notoriously soft. it goes back to a previous thread, howard is facing weaker competition then the bigs of the 80's and 90's.
I didn't make the claim that the Bulls bigs were "quality" bigs. In fact, I never gave an opinion on any of them but Noah.

Quote:
oh and by the way, how did the magic fair against the bulls? didnt they go 1-3? the only game the magic won, howard shot 42% (5-12) and noah played 9 minutes less and shot 55%. (6-11)
The Bulls led the series this year. It was never in question. It should have been that way. We traded the vast majority of our playable team (Lewis, Carter, Pietrus, Gortat) prior to the second game. The guys we received haven't fit into our system as well as Otis Smith hoped. Hence our early exit from the playoffs and your 3 wins.

Though this was about Howard...Besides Howard's 40 point explosion, he also went 8 for 8 (100%) in the third game. DNP in Game 4.

Quote:
again, i really like howard, i just think you have him completely over rated.
To each their own... I think D. Rose is overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 07:56 PM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,363,957 times
Reputation: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Maybe you didn't watch this...
Orlando Magic vs. Chicago Bulls - Preview - January 28, 2011 - ESPN
Is the score 90 to 99? Check.
Is it in the United Center? Check.
Did Howard score 40 on Bulls big men? Check.

Same game. Boozer had to guard him those 20+ minutes due to Noah being out and Thomas/Asik in foul trouble.
I was at that game.

Spoiler
I just wanted to feel cool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2011, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,363,957 times
Reputation: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
To each their own... I think D. Rose is overrated.
Of course he is overrated, he is like 13 years old. The question is, can he live up to the hype that the media has created around him?

I know you didn't mean it this way, but overrated != bad player, and I see people making that mistake a lot. It simply means the boo ya network and others like it builds someone up more than they deserve.

This coming from I'd say the biggest D Rose fanboy on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2011, 05:27 AM
 
Location: spring tx
7,912 posts, read 8,196,988 times
Reputation: 1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
1 video showed a clip package on the game when Howard dropped 40pts on the Bulls to show that Boozer did guard Howard for minutes of the game (20+ minutes during game). The other video is just Howard dunking on a Bulls center Asik, no relation to the previous game. Nothing confusing about it.
(borrowed from greg) while speaking of the 1st video, you said "here are the highlights" this implying they where the same game. and once again i ask how do you know boozer guarded him 20+ minutes? your math doesnt add up, if boozer (a power forward) guarded him 20+ then that means kurts 25 minutes, taj 17 minutes, and asiks 17 minutes went more towards guarding hedo and bass? howard played 42 minutes the "big game", so chicago put their big guys, their centers on the PF and small forward spots more often then they played them at their natural position? that makes NO SENSE.


I didn't make the claim that the Bulls bigs were "quality" bigs. In fact, I never gave an opinion on any of them but Noah.
not them in particular but on another thread you argued till blue in the screen that the bigs today are same level as they where back then yet every other argument contradicts that.


The Bulls led the series this year. It was never in question. It should have been that way. We traded the vast majority of our playable team (Lewis, Carter, Pietrus, Gortat) prior to the second game. The guys we received haven't fit into our system as well as Otis Smith hoped. Hence our early exit from the playoffs and your 3 wins.

Though this was about Howard...Besides Howard's 40 point explosion, he also went 8 for 8 (100%) in the third game. DNP in Game 4.


To each their own... I think D. Rose is overrated.
this has no bearing on me, im not a d rose fan. rose has ridiculous hype from the media. that has nothing to do with this conversation. i said i think YOU are over rating howard. there are plenty of players out there who are over rated by the media and the fans, howard is your over rate. i say the player i defend as hard as you is underrated in tim duncan. good luck with bringing him down lol.
thanks for letting me borrow your bold greg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top