U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 05:28 PM

478 posts, read 598,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Tell me I am wrong if he shows up (i.e. near end of season) next year on that Cavs team.

Just a reminder...Duke History since 2000
Chris Carrawell (2000) - cut; never played
Shane Battier (2001) - backup for Memphis (lost his starting job midseason)
Jay Williams (2001) - average before accident, after it he was no good and cut
Mike Dunleavy (2002) - lost his starting job, most likely on his way to being cut
Carlos Boozer (2002) - +1
Dahnty Jones (2003) - doesn't dress in Boston
Luol Deng (2004) - + 1
Chris Duhon (2004) - doesn't dress in Orlando
Daniel Ewing (2005) - cut
Sheldon Williams (2006) - doesn't dress in NY
JJ Redick (2006) - backup in Orlando
Josh McRoberts (2007) - backup in Indiana
Gerald Henderson (2009) - backup prior to trade of Wallace, most likely will resume that role later; he hasn't done decent enough IMO to warrant a "+1"

So only 2 panned out (of 13) into more than a bench player/ cut... Note the majority of these picks were Top 10. Boozer, one of the +1, was actually a second round pick.

But yes, if they do make the following year with a top pick, Sullinger and Barnes have potential to be great.
Just because those players didn't pan out doesn't mean that Kyrie Irving won't. Most of the analysts have Irving as the #1 pick, and I've heard alot of people compare him to Chris Paul. I don't think he'll be quite that good, but with his skill set and shooting ability he could possibly be an all-star point guard. Although I hope injuries aren't a problem, Im well aware he missed most of his freshman year at Duke. Don't want to have a Greg Oden situation. If Oden could stay healthy he'd probably be one of the top centers in the league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 08:18 PM

52,294 posts, read 42,074,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
So if there was no talent around LeBron, just how did the Cavs earn the best record in the NBA 2 years in a row?

The drop off in their record can also be attributed to players leaving and injuries.

FYI, when the Spurs lost Duncan due to injury before the playoffs, they got owned by the Suns.
Way to ignore actual examples of regular seasons after a star exits with a playoff series.

Thanks for showing up to our forum at the playoffs, look forward to seeing you again in 50 weeks or so.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:58 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,334,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Way to ignore actual examples of regular seasons after a star exits with a playoff series.

Thanks for showing up to our forum at the playoffs, look forward to seeing you again in 50 weeks or so.
I don't see how my example is less valid than yours, and why it would warrant such a rude response.

Good bye.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:16 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,466,312 times
Kyrie is the #1 pick but only because the Cavs have horrible management.

KANTER!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:09 AM

9,035 posts, read 16,497,868 times
With baron davis on board and antawn jamison starting to collect fossils it seems like the smart move would be to grab derrick williams at 1 and the bpa (probably still a PG) at 4

but instead they'll probably take irving and then a hope & prayer gamble at 4 that will bust
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or