U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 06:24 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,202,672 times

Advertisements

Union Members Summary
thats called the horses mouth
the 1st 2 paragraphs.
Quote:
In 2010, the union membership rate--the percent of wage and salary workers who were
members of a union--was 11.9 percent, down from 12.3 percent a year earlier, the U.S.
Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. The number of wage and salary workers be-
longing to unions declined by 612,000 to 14.7 million. In 1983, the first year for
which comparable union data are available, the union membership rate was 20.1 per-
cent, and there were 17.7 million union workers.

The data on union membership were collected as part of the Current Population Sur-
vey (CPS), a monthly sample survey of about 60,000 households that obtains informa-
tion on employment and unemployment among the nation's civilian noninstitutional
population age 16 and over. For more information see the Technical Note.
your numbers seem to come from wikipedia, the absolute most reliable source on the entire webernet.

i am going to nip this in the bud right now, you obviously have not read what i posted, or are not comprehending. 1st i never once blamed unions for the current economic issues in this country, i simply stated that unions are a driving factor in the ridiculously high cost of living. i never said they caused the economic collapse BUT i will say they are a factor involved.but since you went there, the auto bailout was a very large part of the financial collapse. union heads swore up and down that they would come to the table and help the auto industry if only the govt and you and me would "loan them some money" to the tune of about 100 billion, and that would keep them from going bankrupt. only one auto maker stayed away from said bail out. notice that ford does not use UAW labor. now this doesnt include all of the other portions of just the auto industry that received money.
follow the money Follow the money: Bailout tracker - CNNMoney.com
2nd, i did not say wisconsin IS A RIGHT TO WORK STATE, i said wisconsin is the only state i know of off hand that is NOT right to work that has stopped collective bargaining, and they ONLY ended it for the teachers union.

see union membership has fallen because people realize that unions are greedy pricks and union heads are double dipping. unions are also fighting to get secret ballots abolished so that they can see who voted which way. why would they want that? hmmm so they can manipulate its members how ever they see fit? unions charge employers ridiculous fees as part of the collective bargaining process, and also charge their members dues to be a part. the average union member may not be that greedy prick, the union itself absolutely is.

in my industry, (construction, and specifically concrete) i see unions all the time around the country from concrete finishers, form setters and such to the iron workers making rebar and cable. in 2002 bush implemented a 15% tariff on imported rebar on top of import taxes and such to help promote buying american. after said tariff and taxes and customs issues and so on i can still buy a ship load of rebar from india for about 30% cheaper then i can from any state in the united states. unions did that. i have a finishing crew moved here from atlanta, he is not a form setter so while in atlanta the concrete contractor had to have union form setters on every single concrete placement to stand around and watch in case there was an issue with the forms. driving the cost of every single job up. here in texas (right to work state) we dont have to do that, and i had to teach this man how to fix those forms himself. i have a few friends in san antonio that work for toyota, none union friends (right to work state and all) they make nearly the exact same benefits and hourly wage as members of the UAW do yet it costs toyota about half as much as GM to pay those men and women. why is that? oh thats right, the UAW has to make their money as well. gotta keep making enough money to line the pockets of the politicians so they can continue to get their kick backs. boeing wants to move to south carolina (right to work state again) yet the unions are suing this private company and has the govt doing the same to tell them they cant move to a none union state.

now i could go on and on but this is neither here nor there so i will end it at that.
the NBA players want more more more, while their boss has less less less. this can only end 2 ways, the players union gives in or the owners give in. we as fans HAVE to be on the owners side on this because giving the PLAYERS (yeah they play a game for stupid money) more means it will cost us as fans more to watch A GAME. let me guess you think we should raise taxes on these owners also right? that way we can never afford to watch a game live. i have been a season ticket holder for the rockets for years until about 2 years ago i gave up my 5th row seats due to the economy, keep paying the players in the manor that they fight to be paid and we will not be able to afford to sit in the nose bleeds either. more then half the teams are losing money as it is now, then what makes the players union think they owners can even afford to pay them more anyway. in the end the average nba salary is 4.8 million dollars now if those players cant live comfortably on nearly 5 million dollars then thats on them, but in 2 years they want to be making an average of 6 million per year. in 2000 the average nba salary was about 4 million. the players salaries went up 1 million in 10 years, thats a 2.5% raise every year over that period. now the players want a 13% raise for the next 2 years? 2.5 is about the national average "cost of living raise" (between 2 and 3% depending on what area of the country your in) what makes the players think they deserve 13%. oh thats right, damn greedy union.

now back to the lock out, anyone think it ends before the season starts? read an article yesterday, a lot of the players expect it to be over fairly quickly so either the players are backing off, or the owners are giving in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 AM

52,003 posts, read 41,844,208 times
I read an article where Barkley said he thinks there will be a lost season.

That scared the crap out of me because:

a) Barkley KNOWS the NBA inside and out and hears a lot of things.
b) He will speak his mind and not make some politically correct comment about the situation.

Yikes. Really, the numbers shouldn't be that difficult. Total up how the league and various teams are doing with some independent accountants and see what sort of return is being generated. If they aren't making money then the players are going to have to feel some of the pain.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:16 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,891,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I read an article where Barkley said he thinks there will be a lost season.

That scared the crap out of me because:

a) Barkley KNOWS the NBA inside and out and hears a lot of things.
b) He will speak his mind and not make some politically correct comment about the situation.

Yikes. Really, the numbers shouldn't be that difficult. Total up how the league and various teams are doing with some independent accountants and see what sort of return is being generated. If they aren't making money then the players are going to have to feel some of the pain.
I have heard the same from multiple people. They say the NBA situation is FAR worse than the NFL. They actually think about half the teams would make more money w/o the teams playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or