U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You think the Miami Heat have reached their potential?
Yes the performance this regular and postseason is the ceiling. 11 29.73%
No they have alot of learning, chemistry, and (fill in the blank) do to. 26 70.27%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 12:34 PM

478 posts, read 595,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Right now, i'm sure they're looking at Nene and Dalembert as choices for center as far as free agency. Not sure if Nene would really opt out of his last year's contract(12mil)to sign for minimum with Heat. Dalembert would most likely be willing to sign for minimum. Personally, i think the Heat should go for Nene since he is more of a 2 way player while Dalembert is more of a defensive shot blocker. I think they need much more offense from the center position. There is also talk of Oden, but he has to show positive signs of recovery.

As far as pt guard, i don't think it is a gimme that the Knicks take up Billup's option for this coming season. They might not do it. If so, Billups would be high on the Heat's radar. There was a rumor about Aaron Brooks being on their radar, but i don't see it happening. Brooks is looking to get paid since this will be his first huge contract. Brooks doesn't play defense either.
No way would they be able to get Nene. Hes not going to take mid-level exception type money. He'll be 29 going into next season, and he's been staying healthy the past couple seasons and I'd say he's a top tier center or close to it. He'll probably want something along the lines of 5 years $65 million. As you said he made 12 million last year and I think he'd probably want to make more than that since he's proved himself as being a very reliable scoring center. He averaged 14 points and his field goal percentage was around 62%. Samual Dalembert is more likely, but looking at his stats I think he'd want more than mid level exception money too. More likely options for them at Center are Nazr Mohammed, Joel Pryzbilla, or Ronny Turiaf. And if they're just looking for big man help you could throw in PFs like Kenyon Martin, Troy Murphy, or Boris Diaw. Those would seem like more likely options for them among unrestricted free agents that they may be able to get with mid-level exception money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 01:21 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,879,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
the heat will not have any money to pick up any of those players, the most they will have is a mid level exception and while billups MIGHT consider mid level money, there are way to many teams with money for the heat to even get close to nene (who is expected to sign an extension any time now) or dalembert.
Yes, money is an issue. Just remember there are quite a few players willing to take alot less money with the lure of winning a title. Mike Wilbon said alot of agents told him that their players would love to play with the Heat. I only know that Nene said he likes to win a title and probably will opt out of his contract this season(at $12mil) though he never specifically mentioned the Heat as a desired destination. Dalembert said winning was utmost important last season. It will be an interesting Summer. Unless the CBA dumps the midlevel, i could see Billups willing to take the midlevel with the Heat. The lure of Miami's weather itself is another big reason quite a few of the older players want to come down.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, money is an issue. Just remember there are quite a few players willing to take alot less money with the lure of winning a title. Mike Wilbon said alot of agents told him that their players would love to play with the Heat. I only know that Nene said he likes to win a title and probably will opt out of his contract this season(at $12mil) though he never specifically mentioned the Heat as a desired destination. Dalembert said winning was utmost important last season. It will be an interesting Summer. Unless the CBA dumps the midlevel, i could see Billups willing to take the midlevel with the Heat. The lure of Miami's weather itself is another big reason quite a few of the older players want to come down.
Whats the Mid-level amount of money 5-6 million. I can't see any player passing up on making 10-12 million a year just to play for Miami and maybe win a championship. Other teams need Centers than just the Heat, and alot of teams have much more money to offer. Several million more a year than what the Heat could offer actually. Though I think they might be able to snag Dalembert. I can't see them getting Nene, that would be an absolute shock.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:46 PM
JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 719inhere View Post
Whats the Mid-level amount of money 5-6 million. I can't see any player passing up on making 10-12 million a year just to play for Miami and maybe win a championship. Other teams need Centers than just the Heat, and alot of teams have much more money to offer. Several million more a year than what the Heat could offer actually. Though I think they might be able to snag Dalembert. I can't see them getting Nene, that would be an absolute shock.
All i know is that i'm not underestimating Riley anymore.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
All i know is that i'm not underestimating Riley anymore.
He still has to put guys around James, Wade, and Bosh though. As its stands besides those three right now under contract they have Joel Anthony(good defensive big),Mike Miller(declining and often injured), Udonis Haslem(very dependable bench player), James Jones has a player option(didn't see any time in the finals), Eddie House has a player option(didn't see much playing time), Big Z has a player option(very little time in the playoffs and im guessing he retires). Thats all they have and they don't have cap room, they have to rely on the mid level exception and the league minumum. I don't see how they can improve their talent very much at all. Im sure Mario Chalmers will re-sign with them. But they have alot of question marks after the big 3.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:03 PM
JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 719inhere View Post
He still has to put guys around James, Wade, and Bosh though. As its stands besides those three right now under contract they have Joel Anthony(good defensive big),Mike Miller(declining and often injured), Udonis Haslem(very dependable bench player), James Jones has a player option(didn't see any time in the finals), Eddie House has a player option(didn't see much playing time), Big Z has a player option(very little time in the playoffs and im guessing he retires). Thats all they have and they don't have cap room, they have to rely on the mid level exception and the league minumum. I don't see how they can improve their talent very much at all. Im sure Mario Chalmers will re-sign with them. But they have alot of question marks after the big 3.
Like i said, i wouldn't put anything past Riley in getting some good players to come to Miami this summer after getting the big 3 to sign last summer. We'll find out after June 30th.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:53 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,194,022 times
Quote:
Like i said, i wouldn't put anything past Riley in getting some good players to come to Miami this summer after getting the big 3 to sign last summer. We'll find out after June 30th.
riley didnt get those guys to come to miami, wade did. james, wade and bosh all played on team usa together, and became very good friends and all spoke about joining forces when they became free agents, miami was the only place that all 3 could make the money being as wade was already there and only needed an extension. a couple of other teams had the money to sign 2 of them, but only miami, cleveland, or toronto could have gotten all 3. cleveland and miami had the money, toronto didnt so it falls off the list. now we have cleveland and miami, and the owner/management of the cavs where not going to gut their team and mortgage the future on james, wade AND BOSH. the biggest issue was bosh, while a good player (top 5 easy in his position currently playing), not the kind of player you think "hmmmm he could help us get over the hump if we pay him a ton and risk not having money to sign anyone else for 5 years."

riley only facilitated the trades and the contract stuff, and he got lucky he isnt the GM for toronto, or cleveland.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:38 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,548,711 times
Back to the poll question... No if they get my man DeSean Bulter in the mix while James/Wade/Bosh are still on the Heat they will be unstoppable
{Not trying to be a Internet Troll}

Old 06-20-2011, 06:51 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,194,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Back to the poll question... No if they get my man DeSean Bulter in the mix while James/Wade/Bosh are still on the Heat they will be unstoppable
{Not trying to be a Internet Troll}
you should go check out "your man" desean butler, he isnt with the heat anymore, they released him, and the spurs picked him up with about a month left in the season.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:10 PM

406 posts, read 503,893 times
They haven't hit their potential, but they won't hit it until they get a deeper bench and manage those egos. LeBron is the best player in the league. As the best player, you defer to no one and that includes Wade. Jordan never deferred to Pippen in a Finals game or any playoff game for that matter. Several instances in the series, we saw LeBron become passive and let Wade and Bosh do all the work. Even if LeBron does win a ring, he won't do it as the main guy. The Heat is still Dwyane Wade's team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball