U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You think the Miami Heat have reached their potential?
Yes the performance this regular and postseason is the ceiling. 11 29.73%
No they have alot of learning, chemistry, and (fill in the blank) do to. 26 70.27%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:03 AM

406 posts, read 505,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Jordan didn't have the length to play the 4 either, but that didn't stop him from developing a post game to use on opposing shooting guards and small forwards. If Lebron had a post game, he'd be matched up against other small forwards mainly, who'd have no chance of stopping him.

And on the odd chance via a defensive switch that a power forward winds up on him, that's when he uses his speed to get by them. Jordan and Kobe diversified their games to counter a myriad of defensive scenarios, and that's what made/makes them such potent scorers. Lebron will need to do the same as his physical ability deteriorates years from now, and adding a post-game is essential to that end.

Jordan's post game didn't make up the majority of his strategy. People were talking about LeBron and becoming a full-time post player, especially when the legs start to go and can't rely on freakish athleticism anymore. See Vince Carter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 11:10 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,895,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin070388 View Post
Jordan's post game didn't make up the majority of his strategy. People were talking about LeBron and becoming a full-time post player, especially when the legs start to go and can't rely on freakish athleticism anymore. See Vince Carter.
See Jordan's 2nd threepeat years, 1995-1998. He was primarily a jumpshooter and post player, with the turnaround fade-away shot. That's why he still averaged 30 points at 34-35 years old, with the loss of athletic explosiveness. And that post game was a MAJOR part of his game at that point.

Lebron doesn't need to become a full-time post player, but in order to further expand his game, it wouldn't hurt him to develop it. Not every game will you be able to get to the rim, or be able to rely on your jumper. Variety is the spice of life.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:29 AM

3,306 posts, read 5,813,984 times
Quote:
You're not winning anything when Mo Williams is your second best player. If Danny Ferry pulled the trigger on Amare Stoudemire at the trade deadline last year, it would likely be a completely different story.
Oddly enough, Lebron wanted Jamison. I completely agree with you. I would have given up Hickson to get Amar'e too.

Quote:
Because he's the more dominant player
In the Finals, the Heat were outscored by 36 points when Lebron James was on the floor; meanwhile, they outscored the Mavericks by 22 points when Lebron James wasn't on the floor. If you highlight the fourth quarters, I'm afraid to know what the differential was.

There's nothing dominant about that.

By contract, the Heat were outscored by 6 points when D-Wade was on the floor.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:53 PM

297 posts, read 341,455 times
Quote:
So what do you consider more skilled?
He's a better ball handler, better at creating his own shot when handling the ball. Durant is better off screens. I'd say Lebron is the better passer and I'd give him the slight edge on defense and fast break buckets although both are good because of their size.

Don't get me wrong, Lebron showed plenty of holes in his game in the finals. But lets not pretend like Durant doesn't have to work on things like a post game and creating shots when handling the ball.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:55 PM

297 posts, read 341,455 times
Quote:
LeBron himself said playing the post is boring. He really doesn't have the length to play the 4 and be dominant at it. If he switched to the 4 right now, he'd have to go up against guys like Duncan, Garnett, Kendrick Perkins, Tyson Chandler, Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Amare Stoudemire, and Elton Brand to name a few. These guys minus Brand are taller and have more length.
Centers and power fowards are not the only players that post-up. Remember all the times D-wade posted up Kidd in the finals? It was an automatic two points if Dallas didn't bring any help.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:20 PM

52,273 posts, read 42,045,329 times
Quote:
Um, when they put a smaller-faster (in later years) player on Jordan (see Iverson) he posted their A$$ like a stamp. Put a big guy on Jordan he'd take them outside...put a fast small guy on Jordan he would post them.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:21 PM

52,273 posts, read 42,045,329 times
Quote:
See Jordan's 2nd threepeat years, 1995-1998. He was primarily a jumpshooter and post player, with the turnaround fade-away shot. That's why he still averaged 30 points at 34-35 years old, with the loss of athletic explosiveness. And that post game was a MAJOR part of his game at that point.

Lebron doesn't need to become a full-time post player, but in order to further expand his game, it wouldn't hurt him to develop it. Not every game will you be able to get to the rim, or be able to rely on your jumper. Variety is the spice of life.
Go easy, that poster was watching Barney and not Jordan at the time.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:36 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,895,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
He's a better ball handler, better at creating his own shot when handling the ball. Durant is better off screens. I'd say Lebron is the better passer and I'd give him the slight edge on defense and fast break buckets although both are good because of their size.

Don't get me wrong, Lebron showed plenty of holes in his game in the finals. But lets not pretend like Durant doesn't have to work on things like a post game and creating shots when handling the ball.
If anything has been shown this year, it's that Lebron isn't able to create his shot off the dribble as well as before. For whatever reason, he's lost a half step athletically, which puts more emphasis on him to have other facets to his offensive game. The fact that Lebron is 6'9, 260 and built like a tank, there's absolutely no excuse for him not to have some semblance of a post game.

Durant, by comparison, is a much slighter build which would make it all but impossible for him to bang down low, without bulking up. And we don't know if bulking up will negatively impact other aspects of his game. But things like defense and ball-handling are well within his ability to improve and I believe he will. Lebron if you've noticed, or perhaps not, hasn't evolved much offensively over the years. His jumpshot has improved but still isn't totally reliable, he's still mainly a slasher and his free-throw shooting isn't much improved. And he's going into year 9 next season. Durant can manufacture points easier by getting to the line 9-10 times a game without having to charge to the basket like Lebron does.

No-one's pretending anything, I think I already said Durant has a number of ways to improve as well. But I still maintain that his scoring is more skill-based( as in the skill of SHOOTING) compared to Lebron, who's primarily a slasher historically reliant on dominant athleticism.

Old 06-22-2011, 06:51 AM

2,372 posts, read 4,464,863 times
If Lebron matured, I'd love him. Until then, he's a nobody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball