Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You think the Miami Heat have reached their potential?
Yes the performance this regular and postseason is the ceiling. 11 29.73%
No they have alot of learning, chemistry, and (fill in the blank) do to. 26 70.27%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 09:41 PM

520 posts, read 731,060 times

Advertisements

Lebron is 26 and will turn 27 during the next season, and the same for Bosh too he'll only be turning 27. Wade will be 30. I think everyone can agree that thats their core players lol. Assuming they avoid major injuries the next 5 years, they all argueably have not hit thier peaks as far as players. Wade may be close since hes 30, but look at Kobe hes still one of the best players and hes 34 and will be 35. Lebron needs to develope a better mid-range jump shot and post game because of all the fouls against him, he's always among the league leaders in foul shots so hes taking alot of contact. Imo Wade is a better jump shooter and he's older so hes probably taken more contact from fouls. Now It shouldn't be that hard for him to get better in the post, hes 6'8" 260. If he really wants to Im sure he can develope in that area, he could probably be better in the post than Bosh. The thing about Lebron and Wade is that they seem to do better when they have the ball in their hands and driving to the hoop. So they have to get better playing away from the ball. Mario Chalmers looks like he could end up being a decent point guard, they just need to learn how to play of that. Mike Miller and Udonis Haslem are probably more on the downside of their careers, but you need a veteran prescence and they can still play some good minutes and provide to the team. Assuming they keep Joel Anthony and James Jones, I think they need a better back-up point guard, another 3 shooter, and another big. And they need young guys for those positions. And a veteran big who still has some gas in the tank.
2011-2012 Heat
PG-Mario Chalmers/bench-young and good ball handling pg
SG-Wade/bench-young three point shooter, Mike Miller
SF-Lebron/bench-James Jones
PF-Bosh/bench-Udonis Haslem
C-Joel Anthony/bench-young athletic big and than a veteran
That would be an 12 man rotation, I don't know how they'll fill their positions as Im looking from the outside in. Im by no means going to be rooting for the Heat, but they will probably win at least 1 championship in the next 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 06:24 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 719inhere View Post

Wade may be close since hes 30, but look at Kobe hes still one of the best players and hes 34 and will be 35.
Wade is right in the middle of his prime right now. And Kobe is 32, going 33 in August.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Wade is right in the middle of his prime right now. And Kobe is 32, going 33 in August.
Well than that shows that you can still play at an MVP calibar level into your 30s though. So Kobe's going to be 33, and hes still one of the best players in the game.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Well than that shows that you can still play at an MVP calibar level into your 30s though. So Kobe's going to be 33, and hes still one of the best players in the game.
I don't disagree, who's arguing that you can't play at an MVP level past 30? Anyways, I mainly responded to you because you were incorrect on Kobe's age.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I don't disagree, who's arguing that you can't play at an MVP level past 30? Anyways, I mainly responded to you because you were incorrect on Kobe's age.
I was just putting that as to why I don't think they have reached their full potential yet, not that anybody was arguing that, but was making that point about them still having really good years ahead of them which will in turn mean the Heat will be one of the top teams for years to come.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I was just putting that as to why I don't think they have reached their full potential yet

Of course they haven't, this is likely to be the 'worst' version of this Heat team as they will continue to learn each other's habits and how to play together, upgrade the pieces around the big 3, and so forth. Whether that can translate to a title down the line is anybody's guess, as we have no idea what other teams will be doing to improve their own fortunes.

But will this team be a force to be reckoned with over the next 4-5 years? Absolutely.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:02 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Right now, i'm sure they're looking at Nene and Dalembert as choices for center as far as free agency. Not sure if Nene would really opt out of his last year's contract(12mil)to sign for minimum with Heat. Dalembert would most likely be willing to sign for minimum. Personally, i think the Heat should go for Nene since he is more of a 2 way player while Dalembert is more of a defensive shot blocker. I think they need much more offense from the center position. There is also talk of Oden, but he has to show positive signs of recovery.

As far as pt guard, i don't think it is a gimme that the Knicks take up Billup's option for this coming season. They might not do it. If so, Billups would be high on the Heat's radar. There was a rumor about Aaron Brooks being on their radar, but i don't see it happening. Brooks is looking to get paid since this will be his first huge contract. Brooks doesn't play defense either.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:23 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Right now, i'm sure they're looking at Nene and Dalembert as choices for center as far as free agency. Not sure if Nene would really opt out of his last year's contract(12mil)to sign for minimum with Heat. Dalembert would most likely be willing to sign for minimum. Personally, i think the Heat should go for Nene since he is more of a 2 way player while Dalembert is more of a defensive shot blocker. I think they need much more offense from the center position. There is also talk of Oden, but he has to show positive signs of recovery.

As far as pt guard, i don't think it is a gimme that the Knicks take up Billup's option for this coming season. They might not do it. If so, Billups would be high on the Heat's radar. There was a rumor about Aaron Brooks being on their radar, but i don't see it happening. Brooks is looking to get paid since this will be his first huge contract. Brooks doesn't play defense either.
the heat will not have any money to pick up any of those players, the most they will have is a mid level exception and while billups MIGHT consider mid level money, there are way to many teams with money for the heat to even get close to nene (who is expected to sign an extension any time now) or dalembert.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:25 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,087,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Pat is no kid anymore.
age has little to do with coaching, sloan wasnt exactly young, and how about jackson. pat is only 66-67 yrs old, its not like the guy is 80.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:43 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
the heat will not have any money to pick up any of those players, the most they will have is a mid level exception and while billups MIGHT consider mid level money, there are way to many teams with money for the heat to even get close to nene (who is expected to sign an extension any time now) or dalembert.
I agree with this.

I think last year you had guys sign for the mid-level under the pretense that they were going to win a championship.

My point before was, I'm not sure that happens in the same manner this offseason. For many, Lebron isn't the player people thought he was and the scrutiny surrounding the team is such that I think it puts a lot of added pressure on anyone coming in.

Moreover, Boston and Chicago faltered when it mattered most and I don't think the Heat gets past an improved Chicago team - i.e. one that trades for a scoring 2-guard.

So, which free agent is going to accept less money to go there this year? I'm excited to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball