U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You think the Miami Heat have reached their potential?
Yes the performance this regular and postseason is the ceiling. 11 29.73%
No they have alot of learning, chemistry, and (fill in the blank) do to. 26 70.27%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 03:12 PM

326 posts, read 1,042,623 times

Advertisements

Do you think the Miami Heat have reached their potential?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 03:32 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,365,433 times
I have no idea how with that talent, the certain growth as a team and potential roster improvements they can make that anyone can think they have peaked. Easy answer is, no they have not reached their "full potential."

Old 06-14-2011, 03:37 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,199,926 times
well considering they will have more money next year with exceptions and things (provided the CBA doesnt change to much) they will be able to bring in more middle of the road talent, and with the draft they will do nothing but get better provided ego doesnt kill them. a better coach cant hurt.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:48 PM

297 posts, read 340,448 times
They should get better. As will many other teams like Chicago, New York, OKC, and Memphis.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:55 PM

152 posts, read 154,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobrandon View Post
They should get better. As will many other teams like Chicago, New York, OKC, and Memphis.
I don't see CHI getting any better until they get rid of Boozer. The guy hogs up space and doesn't play good D. Call me crazy if you like, but until one of Miami's big three decides to come off the bench, I donít see them winning a championship. That team will forever have scrutiny until they win the big one and to win the big one, each must know his role.

As I was only able to watch 3 of the 6 games played in the finals, it appear LeBron more of a non-leader role which could be one of the reasons why the heat lost. Since LeBrick is the more versatile player, Iíll have him come off the bench and would rarely have all 3 playing at once. Now since the big three have taken a pay cut, which one would take a cut in timed played since theyíre all so devoted to winning a championship?

Old 06-14-2011, 08:41 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,547,612 times
I think this current version of the Heat must change. They cannot beat a good, deep team over a 7-game series without withering late because of their reliance on three players.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:52 PM

930 posts, read 1,320,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I think this current version of the Heat must change. They cannot beat a good, deep team over a 7-game series without withering late because of their reliance on three players.
This version of the team will change. Pat Riley basically had a couple of months to throw together a team of garbage and has-beens to fill out the roster...and they still made it to the Finals. Barring injuries, a rapid decline for D-Wade, or drastic and immediate CBA changes, they are going to be a lot tougher to beat over the next couple years.

I would put money on the Heat being in the Finals next year before I would put money on Dallas getting back. Vegas agrees.

Oddsmakers pick the Miami Heat to win the NBA title in 2012 - Game On!: Covering the Latest Sports News

Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 AM

1,742 posts, read 5,001,884 times
Not even Karl Malone or Gary Payton would sign with the Heat

Old 06-15-2011, 09:34 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,787,244 times
I'm curious where everyone thinks they will have the cap room to make major player movement while at the same time keeping this core of players.

The 2010-11 Salary Cap is a soft $58.04 million, which is up from last year, but down $620,000 from two years ago. One would have to be reasonably sure that the cap will stay relatively the same for next season, while some have pushed for a hard salary cap in order to keep ballooning player salaries more in check.

While I don't believe a hard salary cap will occur, let's just say that the soft cap next year increases to $58.5 million, which is relatively generous.

This Heat team is currently over the cap by nearly $8 million dollars. The down-side, however, is that they don't have any big-money players coming off the cap.

Despite the fact that both Mike Miller and Udonis Haslem signed for below market value, they still both signed contracts past the 2014/15 season.

The issue is compounded by the fact that Mario Chalmers, who only earned $800k this season, clearly earned himself a raise - at least into the low couple of millions per season - for his play this year and will need to be resigned.

Due to player salary increases, they'll basically have the exact same payroll (roughly $8 million over the cap) MINUS the services of:

Mario Chalmers
Mike Bibby
Juwon Howard
Jamaal MaGloire
James Jones
Shavlik Randolph
Jerry Stackhouse

Admittedly, not a group of players that will wow anyone, but the retention of Chalmers is mandatory unless you're filling the gap with someone of similar talent.

So, where do they get the money from? Do you trade Mike Miller? His stock was down all season between injuries and poor shooting in part of the playoffs. Do you trade Udonis Haslem? I think clearly he's the heart of the team.

So, does the $5.8 million mid-level exception cure all ills? Do players agree to sign below market value in order to join the Heat after seeing some of the turmoil and hatred geared to them? When Miller and Haslem resigned, House and Z joined up, and Bibby accepted a mere pittance, they thought they were putting a ring on their fingers. Do other players still think the same thing now?

Long story short, UNLESS the front office makes one shrewd, shrewd pickup, I think there's a good chance they are close to their ceiling. In fact, based on the fact that as the years progress, LBJ, Wade, and Bosh will all be aging while their contracts will be getting progressively larger each year, I think there's actually a window that they need to accomplish what they need to accomplish within a couple of seasons or this thing will be blown up.

For instance, by 2015, all three players will be the only 3 players on the Miami Heat roster/salary cap and the team salary comprised of 3 players will be $8 million dollars over the salary cap alone. If they can't win it by themselves this year, they're not actually going to win it by themselves when they're in their 30s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
I would put money on the Heat being in the Finals next year before I would put money on Dallas getting back. Vegas agrees.

Oddsmakers pick the Miami Heat to win the NBA title in 2012 - Game On!: Covering the Latest Sports News

Vegas also had Miami being favored 3x what Dallas was favored when the series was tied 2-2 in the Finals. The line was -335. Meaning, you'd have to put $335 dollars on the Heat to win $100.

When Dallas went up 3-2, Miami was still favored by double. I took Dallas at +200 and doubled my money.

Vegas odds have absolutely no bearing on reality - they simply move lines and draw in money.

I hope that's not your rationale for why the Heat will be better next season.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:48 AM

1,519 posts, read 4,769,781 times
If they learn from their mistakes in this Finals, their potential is limitless. But I think ego will get in the way. Early in the series I noticed this.

For example, Dallas said they got fired up in game 2 because James and Wade appeared to be celebrating with a few minutes left in the fourth quarter. Wade said that wasn't a celebration -- a celebration was confetti and champagne. But he missed the point. Whatever you call it, he got Dallas fired up and the Mavs scored 17 points in four minutes to win the game. It was apparent that the Heat had already thought they won and couldn't get their rhythm back to win the game when they were ahead by 15 points with 4 minutes on the clock. So a true championship team would not repeat that. They would say, yeah, we messed up by losing the biggest lead of any team in the history of the NBA Finals and we're not going to let that happen again.

But then he and James went and made fun of Dirk's illness after the next game. Again, it fired up the Mavs and they won the Finals. Those were stupid mistakes that took away from the game. Fight your opponent on the court. But James and Wade's ego in the media is so fragile that they have to look tough in interviews. That was their failure this time. They thought they were entitled to win instead of earning it. They were thinking about the post-game interviews instead of how to win the ballgame.

If they lay off the ego trips and really listen and watch their opponents, they can be an unstoppable force. But I have my doubts that they will take the time to do that. They want to look cool individually. If that means missing the big shot in the last 4 minutes, that means they won't even take the shot. Winning the Finals is about grit. Wade and James didn't show that in this Finals.

Last edited by hamiltonpl; 06-15-2011 at 10:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball