U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 08:24 AM

7,559 posts, read 11,904,766 times

Advertisements

I'll have to say I'm 43 and have followed the Dream since he came to this country to the Cougars - I'd feel remised if I didn't stay true.

Who knew Greg was stalking him also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 08:27 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,883,792 times
Elmer has forced me to rethink my 'strategery' slightly, but the board's reluctance so far to anchor their teams with dominant bigmen, has placed the following all-time great in my lap.

For the 7th and final pick of the 1st round for the city-data all-time NBA draft, I select:

Spoiler

Shaquille O'Neal from Louisiana State University:

Career accolades:

The debate rages on as to who is the NBA's greatest center, but I have to believe that Shaquille O'neal's singular dominance transcends any era, and I have confidence in him matching up with any big that's played the game. While I don't think he played to his full potential ( specifically, he could have been an even better rebounder and shotblocker) he's arguably one of the two most dominant physical forces in NBA history. And as I have watched his career going back to his collegiate career, I am inclined to pick him over his predecessor( I suspect most will know who I'm referring to). Shaq bouncing from team to team later in his career should not detract from a 14 year period 1992-2006 of dominance, multiple championships, quirky, funny and sometimes controversial quotes, and a broken backboard or two along the way.

My next pick will be up shortly......

Old 06-24-2011, 08:46 AM

For my 2nd pick, and first of the 2nd round of the city-data all-time NBA draft, I select:

Spoiler

Tim Duncan from University of Wake Forest

Career highlights:

Greatest power forward ever?? Before 1997, you heard the names Malone, Petit, Barkley, Hayes, Mchale tossed around. Before an unassuming 7 footer from Wake Forest emerged on the scene. Talented, humble, classy, a winner by any and all measure. The anchor of 4 NBA championships, a dominant post scorer, intimidating paint defender, exceptional IQ, consistently stellar rebounder and shotblocker. The greatest Spur ever, the greatest power forward over, one of the ten greatest ever in my opinion. His only flaw? He thinks he NEVER commits a foul

Old 06-24-2011, 08:47 AM

Kudos for throwing down the gauntlet.

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1028909831351&id=0aecfeb3e714d1de a188ac38d7660a5b&url=http%3a%2f%2ffantasysportsmat rix.com%2ffiles%2fphotos%2fuser-26%2fHakeem_vs_Shaq.jpg (broken link)

Now I must put together a suitable front line to do battle.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:53 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,719,024 times
Dammit, I knew Dream would get taken so I wanted Tim. Figured could grab him and there would still be a center in 3rd round, worst case he is my center.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:54 AM

Who would mesh with a Hakeem at the 4? I'm thinking another strong scorer, but a good rebounder also.

It's my pick, right?

Old 06-24-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post

Now I must put together a suitable front line to do battle.
Oh I expect the front-line duels to be epic . Amazingly we've got a ton of GREAT bigmen sitting on the board as we enter the second round. I imagine the obvious picks will be gone by the time we get to the third round. Actually you picking Hakeem impacted my idea of the kind of frontline I was going for. But... I'll have to 'get by' with Shaq and Duncan.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post

It's my pick, right?
Yeah, you're up....

Old 06-24-2011, 09:14 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,719,024 times
I have mixed feelings on the Duncan with Shaq/Hakeem thing. They all score in the paint, but Duncan has always worked with centers who face the basket from farther out and give him room, including Robinson.

Not saying it either isn't the greatest PF/C combo of all time, just saying be interesting having two bigs who like to isolate in the post.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

I have mixed feelings on the Duncan with Shaq/Hakeem thing. They all score in the paint, but Duncan has always worked with centers who face the basket from farther out and give him room, including Robinson.

Not saying it either isn't the greatest PF/C combo of all time, just saying be interesting having two bigs who like to isolate in the post.
I had the same reservations, but at this point I won't divulge who I 'would' have picked if Hakeem had fallen into my lap.

Bear in mind though, Duncan has a capable jumpshot out to 17 feet, plus the banker. He's not 'uncomfortable' operating outside 5-7 feet. And remember, there's two sides of the ball: defensively, try scoring on THAT combo. Though in fairness, there's quite a few 'combos' that you could say that about. But I made sure I picked one of them!

And furthermore..... I think we should be able to, once we've made our picks, set our final starting lineups at that point. So much will depend on who else is available as we move on in the draft. Perhaps a player is available who displaces one of the guys I already selected. Perhaps a trade may be in the works. Lots of time for wheeling, dealing, and scheming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or