U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 08:15 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,710,138 times

Advertisements

My final pick:

Spoiler

I need a blue collar guy, and I need a power forward.

Consistent 20/10/2 guy in his prime.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,879,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Good team indeed, Greg.

Spoiler

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=992184905307&id=ee309de7537b7c3d2 0b03f14b992d0c3&url=http%3a%2f%2fblog.mysanantonio .com%2fspursnation%2ffiles%2f2010%2f11%2fGeorge-Gervin-306x437.jpg (broken link)

George Gervin - The Ice Man

12x All Star (inc ABA)
28.1 PPG NBA Career Avg

The dude was smooth as syrup, and a touch on the mean side. 4 times he led the NBA in scoring, and a decent rebounder for a thin man.

Olajuwan
Chamberlain

Amare Stoudemire
Kevin McHale
George Gervin
Adrian Dantley

Jason Kidd
Chris Paul
Dwyane Wade
Ray Allen
Ahhh considered him with the pick I used for Dominique. The finger-roll...

Old 06-28-2011, 08:45 AM

51,933 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
So my final roster looks like this:

Bigs:

Shaquille O'neal
Tim Duncan
Patrick Ewing
Alonzo Mourning

Forwards:

Lebron James
Scottie Pippen
Dominique Wilkins

Guards:

Jerry West
Clyde Drexler
Gary Payton
In Payton, Pippen and Duncan you have 3 guys that are as good of defenders as anyone else that played their position.

My starting line-up with these guys would be Pippen-Lebron-Duncan-Shaq and West to spread the floor. I'd use Payton instead of West to counter small-ball but with this size and the defensive flexibility of Pippen and Lebron to play the 1's-2's I'd be happy. (This line-up would be especially rough on teams using the unique size\talent of guys like Magic. With Pip and Lebron you have 2 of the few guys in NBA history that could actually give guys like Big O, Magic etc. defensive nightmares.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:46 AM

478 posts, read 595,276 times
My final pick will be up in just a few minutes.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:00 AM

Ok so with my final pick I gotta show love to my favorite and hometown team the Cavs. I need another big man on my bench and Im gonna take Brad Daugherty. Unfortunatly he didn't get to play as long as he should of due to back problems and he had to retire at the peak of his career. He had three straight seasons out of his 8 years in the league where he averaged at least 20ppg, 10rpg, and had a fg% of 52% or higher(two consecutive seasons his fg% was 57%).

Career stats-19ppg(10,389), 9.5rpg(5,227), 3.7apg(2,028), 53% career fg%, 75% career ft%, 5 time all star, one time on all nba third team.

My Team
PG-Oscar Robertson SG-Kobe Bryant* SF-Rick Barry PF-Dirk Nowitzki* C-Moses Malone
Bench-Isiah Thomas, Dikembe Mutumbo, Paul Pierce*, Carmelo Anthony*, and Brad Daugherty
*still playing

Old 06-28-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
In Payton, Pippen and Duncan you have 3 guys that are as good of defenders as anyone else that played their position.

My starting line-up with these guys would be Pippen-Lebron-Duncan-Shaq and West to spread the floor. I'd use Payton instead of West to counter small-ball but with this size and the defensive flexibility of Pippen and Lebron to play the 1's-2's I'd be happy. (This line-up would be especially rough on teams using the unique size\talent of guys like Magic. With Pip and Lebron you have 2 of the few guys in NBA history that could actually give guys like Big O, Magic etc. defensive nightmares.
Hey Math, where you been? Too bad you couldn't join us in this exercise.

Agreed, and it's precisely for those reasons I picked those guys. Don't sleep on Mourning though, in his prime he was a devastating shot-blocker.

Pip and Lebron are definitely gamechangers out on the perimeter, which is precisely why I picked them. Overall, my theme for the majority of my picks was versatility, a number of guys who could play multiple positions depending on the situation, dominant post scoring and dominant perimeter scorers. I think I've managed both, though as I said I wouldn't have minded another pure point guard and a Reggie Miller like player to stretch the defense.

Right now, I'm inclined to employ the following lineup:

Shaq
Duncan
Pippen
Drexler
Payton

I can always sub in and out depending on what the situation calls for. The reason I start Pippen over Lebron is because I think Pippen plays the 'intangibles' game better, plays better all-court defense, and doesn't need the ball to be effective, which is an important attribute when he's surrounded by other highly potent scorers. I'd use Lebron's versatility off the bench, anchoring the perimeter defense of the second unit, and protecting the rim with a Center-PF combo of Ewing and Mourning. In fact I'd say only Shaq, Ewing, and Dominique are shoehorned into their positions; the other 7 guys on the roster can credibly play 2 positions, in the case of Lebron and Pippen as much as 3 positions.

Last edited by Roman77; 06-28-2011 at 09:20 AM..

Old 06-28-2011, 09:05 AM

7,559 posts, read 11,895,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

This brings to mind something I've been thinking about when doing these trans-generational matchups. The players that broke the mold now are more common place.

Example: MJ was a matchup nightmare for guys in his era (Penny, G Hill, etc.), but guys today have molded their games after him to the point that they not only are familiar with him, but can emulate (or even improve upon) a lot of what those guys did - making it possible that guys like Kobe and Wade could give MJ a pretty good challenge out on the floor.

Thoughts?

Old 06-28-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
This brings to mind something I've been thinking about when doing these trans-generational matchups. The players that broke the mold now are more common place.

Example: MJ was a matchup nightmare for guys in his era (Penny, G Hill, etc.), but guys today have molded their games after him to the point that they not only are familiar with him, but can emulate (or even improve upon) a lot of what those guys did - making it possible that guys like Kobe and Wade could give MJ a pretty good challenge out on the floor.

Thoughts?
Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill in this day and age would be as effective today as they were 15 years ago. Skillwise they measure up, and athletically they measure up. No greater proof of this is the fact that 38 year old Grant Hill is still a solid NBA starter, after 17 seasons, and robbed of most of his athletic prime from the ankle injuries.

While guys like Kobe and Wade physically can approximate many of the things that Jordan did in his heyday, the biggest difference between those guys and Jordan is the mental aspect of the game i.e I think Jordan's IQ and sense for the right play at the right time exceed both Kobe and Wade. That's the bigger difference, rather than physical skills and talent.

But if we wish to speculate how Jordan would fare today, it's best to look at modern-day versions of him: In his prime, his midrange game was more consistent than Kobe's( didn't have as prolific a 3point shot though), he could drive to the rim like Wade, finish at the rim with both power and finesse, had a stellar post game, and was the best individual defender, combining stealing, shotblocking and man to man, of the lot. Which is to say..... he'd do pretty well today.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Thoughts?
Oh yea, I think If Kobe in his prime was playing against MJ in his prime that its very even between the 2 as far as skill sets go. Even more interesting to me though will be the guys who've only been in the league a couple years, guys coming into the league now, and guys in future drafts. Who will they mold their games after? Or will they mold them after guys in the league now and from the past, like D. Rose for example. He very much plays using a mix of MJ and Lebron type moves.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:39 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,363,957 times
My last pick is:

Spoiler

Final Roster

Magic
Reggie Miller
Dr J
Karl Malone
D Howard

Bill Walton
E Hayes
K Durant
C Mullin
D Rose

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or