Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 08:09 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Remember that while Mourning played center in the NBA, he was actually a PF at Georgetown next to Mutumbo( imagine trying to score on THAT frontline).
Oh yes I remember, I lived in Washington DC was a huge Hoyas fan. But Georgetown almost always ran a 1-2-2 zone with those two guys on the court, neither one was really any more of an traditional anchor style center.

Doesn't matter though, I'm sure Zo can guard a PF. I'm just saying I'd rather him in the paint than Ewing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 08:13 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

Doesn't matter though, I'm sure Zo can guard a PF. I'm just saying I'd rather him in the paint than Ewing.
Oh I would too defensively, but then you're giving up something offensively. I like to think that with the guys I selected, I covered the bases when it comes to depth and giving the opposition 'different' looks at the center position..... and let's not forget, Duncan can very easily play center as well.

Shaq
Ewing
Mourning
Duncan

I like my chances overall here. All of those guys are capable on both sides of the ball, some more than others, but no major liabilities that couldn't be countered with a strategic sub....

Old 06-30-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I would note that Lebron has never been guarded by a player like Pippen in his prime.
Yep, at least one that HE has to guard as well....

Old 06-30-2011, 09:18 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Glove is one of the best 2-way guards to play the game, which is precisely why I picked him. He could easily play the SG spot if need be, he had those kinds of scoring skills.
8th all time assists, 4th steals, #31 in points.
Only guard to win defensive player of the year since Jordan won it over 20 years ago.

Frankly, I think Payton is every bit as good in his prime as any of the other PG's except Magic...and even then.....

Old 06-30-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Yep, at least one that HE has to guard as well....
I can't think of anyone that has guarded Lebron anywhere near a Pippen level defender in their prime. Deng gave Lebron some trouble and while a good defender is not at that level.

Someone like a younger artest would be another defender of the calibre I'm talking about, just as reference. Kobe is a little too small to be thrown into the discussion.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:52 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
How did Bowen do vs. Lebron? They should have had a few seasons together while Bowen was one of the premiere swingman defenders.

Granted he was more of a slapper/puller/tugger/tripper/sprainer than true ballhawk Pippen but Bowen could get under anyone's skin enough to take them out of their game.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
8th all time assists, 4th steals, #31 in points.
Only guard to win defensive player of the year since Jordan won it over 20 years ago.

Frankly, I think Payton is every bit as good in his prime as any of the other PG's except Magic...and even then.....
Yep... if we're looking at best 2-way guards, you'd have to rank him near the top. He's VASTLY underrated.....

Quote:
I can't think of anyone that has guarded Lebron anywhere near a Pippen level defender in their prime. Deng gave Lebron some trouble and while a good defender is not at that level.
There isn't, not only is Deng not of Pippen's caliber defensively, he's not offensively either. Which speaks to what I was saying earlier, there's been quite a few stand-out defenders that have played Lebron, but they don't force Lebron to play defense on them. Deng is probably one of the few, but still, he's not Pippen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
How did Bowen do vs. Lebron? They should have had a few seasons together while Bowen was one of the premiere swingman defenders.
Bowen was probably one of the few defenders at small forward to give Lebron any kind of real trouble, but as said before, he's not a factor offensively. Lebron has to work on both end against Pippen, which is why out of all the small forwards to play the game, Pippen would be at the top of the list of players I'm comfortable lining up opposite Lebron.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:24 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,178,366 times
I'm trying to think of lockdown defenders over the years that may have had a shot at containing him, but Lebron's two different players offensively. He has no midrange game, so it's either at the rim or from 25 ft.

At the rim, I think Rodman, Charles Oakley or a lot of the bigs we have in this draft would do ok on him, but they couldn't hang with him on the perimeter. So I agree it would take two players to take him out of the game, but with the right perimeter guy it could be done.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I'm trying to think of lockdown defenders over the years that may have had a shot at containing him, but Lebron's two different players offensively. He has no midrange game, so it's either at the rim or from 25 ft.
It's probably more accurate to say that he has an inconsistent midrange game. When its on, you can't do anything with him. But when it's off, he appears to lose confidence and becomes less aggressive attacking the defense.

And I suspect it's because when you have a team that either packs the lane, or one that plays a decent zone, you turn him into a jumpshooter. And when you've managed to do that, I think it shakes his confidence when the first few shots don't fall. I noted in the finals against Dallas, when his jumper stopped falling, he appeared to hesitate shooting, almost 'wishing the ball' in, clearly without confidence and rhythm, and it threw his whole game off.

Contrast that to the series against Chicago and Boston, the former which I'd rate a more dynamic defensive team than Dallas. But in that series, Lebron's shot was on, at least after game one, which effectively rendered Chicago's plan of forcing him into the lane where the defense could collapse on him, ineffective. Deng played Lebron for the drive in game one, and it worked. But when Lebron started hitting the jumpshot, Deng's defense became far less effective.

The main challenge for Lebron is to further evolve his game, which would mean further developing his jumpshot, and work on a really effective post-game, which would not only make him harder to guard, but would give the Heat offense an entirely new dimension of possibilities.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:14 PM

Anyone have a list of players in order they were taken?

I'd be happy to opine on where I spot some good "deals" and you guys can debate it etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball