U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 09:35 AM

52,055 posts, read 41,872,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I had two good centers (Kareem, Admiral) and at the time we weren't drafting 13 players so grabbing a 3rd center made no sense.

Plus I think Joe Johnson fits in perfectly with teams made up of players of this level. I didn't want all guys who needed the ball in their hands (or be part of a two man game) to be effective and when he was in Phoenix JJ proved he can really excel as a spot-up shooter off the ball, one year hitting a blistering .478 from three. He's also a good defender, can play either SG or SF, and has even played point guard in a pinch. Great role-player.
I hear ya.

Sabonis is a HUGE wildcard and almost deserving of a thread here.

Hard to imagine what this guy could have done at age 26 with good knees and talk of just how much of his mobility was gone from his youth.
His per 36min numbers are comparable to David Robinsons.

I would go so far as to speculate that had he entered the NBA at age 20 with the size and skill he had would he perhaps be your starting center even over Kareem and the Admiral? (Admiral is my all time fav. player for many reasons.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 10:57 AM

8,266 posts, read 10,719,024 times
That is an interesting point. Sabonis is definitely the better passer, Portland used to run some pretty nifty high-post plays thru him.

It probably depends on the makeup of the rest of your team, but I'd probably lean towards Kareem as starter.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
That is an interesting point. Sabonis is definitely the better passer, Portland used to run some pretty nifty high-post plays thru him.

It probably depends on the makeup of the rest of your team, but I'd probably lean towards Kareem as starter.
Yeah, I totally understand why YOU didn't pick him up until late.
I'm just calling him the #1 steal pick in that he went so deep.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:49 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,884,371 times
Are you basing that off the prime Sabonis, or the NBA version of Sabonis, as far as being a steal?

Old 07-05-2011, 05:01 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,719,024 times
That is probably why he's saying it is thread-worthy, discussions about Sabonis are always interesting since so much of it is speculation about what he coulda/woulda done if he'd gone into the NBA when he was 20-21.

I can't imagine the NBA Sabonis being considered too much of a steal over other centers in this draft, he was slow on his feet to the point of being a defensive liability and couldn't play big minutes.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Are you basing that off the prime Sabonis, or the NBA version of Sabonis, as far as being a steal?
I think that in the early discussions we were allowed to define our own "prime" version of various players....fairly liberal lee-way was allowed.

So, my definition is an age 26 Sabonis before injuries slowed him down (where he was still extremely effective in modest minutes)

Heck, even the 31 yo version able to play 35+ per game would be one of the better centers in the league. It doesn't take too much imagination to think that the guy at 26 or so would have been an utter beast based upon every comment I'd heard about just how much his game had fallen off by the time he'd come to the NBA.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think that in the early discussions we were allowed to define our own "prime" version of various players....fairly liberal lee-way was allowed.

So, my definition is an age 26 Sabonis before injuries slowed him down (where he was still extremely effective in modest minutes)
Oh ok.... I was under the impression we were defining our own prime versions within the context of the NBA.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:54 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,207,205 times
I think you get the best all around version of the player which will IMO be more in the mind of each voter more then what you had in mind when you took them. Sabonis isn't one of the better know guys and most people are not going to know what he did outside of the NBA so I am sure some people will look at him as a strange pick none the less.

I know my 50 bots don't know him

Old 07-06-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
I think you get the best all around version of the player which will IMO be more in the mind of each voter more then what you had in mind when you took them. Sabonis isn't one of the better know guys and most people are not going to know what he did outside of the NBA so I am sure some people will look at him as a strange pick none the less.
I get that but seeing as this is an NBA draft, I suspect when most people saw Sabonis' name, they were thinking the NBA version. I suppose we should ask the poster who selected him( can't recall who it was now).... which 'version' of Sabonis did you have in mind when drafting him?

Old 07-06-2011, 02:20 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,207,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I get that but seeing as this is an NBA draft, I suspect when most people saw Sabonis' name, they were thinking the NBA version. I suppose we should ask the poster who selected him( can't recall who it was now).... which 'version' of Sabonis did you have in mind when drafting him?
yeah thats kinda my point, most people who would be here voting i would guess either only know his nba career and nothing outside of the nba OR they know very little outside his nba career. hell i would bet some people would could be voting dont even have a clue who he is at all. he was not exactly the most main stream of nba players and isnt exactly a household name. this is why i think it to be an odd pick and also why i think those hwo picked more "recent" players have a slight advantage over those of us who picked more of an "old school" team. to the lay person a lot of these names are surely question marks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or