Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 02:55 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times

Advertisements

i almost took mikan, and i thought about horry (in relation the gregs comments) i also almost took pistol pete but settled on sid the squid mainly because jordan was one of his biggest fans, had so much respect specifically for sids defense i thought, if MJ thinks this guy is a beast on defense then its a shoe in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Nice Rigas! I almost went with either Moncrief or Alvin Robertson, love those hard-nosed ball hawks.

But c'mon you gotta put the right SI cover, this one was a legendary photo:
yeah but thats college not nba lol

oh and i was considering mo cheeks also.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:58 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,487,281 times
damn, pistol pete, kinda surprised he slipped through.

So what was the worst pick? I think people were lol'ing at me for picking Howard in the 2nd round. The Kobe as a 3rd pick was surprsing as well.

What was some good late round value?

Old 06-29-2011, 03:05 PM

i would say manu so high was not a great pick all things considered BUT in my defense, that was late in the original draft before we expanded, and we went pretty quick then so less thought was put in. that said i love manu on this team, while not my first 6th man off the bench he is nothing but a pure winner and worth the pick IMO.

PG stockton/ d williams
SG jordan/moncrief/manu
SF baylor/havlicek
PF barkley/rodman
C russell/thurmond/b wallace

feeling pretty good about my team, i have as much versatility that i can run and go small i can slow it down and go big, i can defend 2 players deep at every spot. i have inside game midrange game, and the outside shot as well. feeling alllll right!

Old 06-29-2011, 03:08 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
Penny was a heck of a player while next to Shaq...

Old 06-29-2011, 03:26 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Mikan is too way back, most of his career was being the 6'10 guy versus players much smaller than him in a league much thinner in talent. They didn't even let "colored folk" play in the NBA for much of his time, and I'm pretty sure retired right before Bill Russel even entered the league, or right around same time.

I bet in his prime with his skillset and athleticism he'd get destroyed by any of the other centers that have been picked in this draft. Hell I'd take any power forward in this draft playing out of position at center versus Mikan.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I bet in his prime with his skillset and athleticism he'd get destroyed by any of the other centers that have been picked in this draft. Hell I'd take any power forward in this draft playing out of position at center versus Mikan.
I agree - each generation gives us a leap in talent and skillsets, with a nod toward the previous group who "gave birth" to them.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
I agree - each generation gives us a leap in talent and skillsets, with a nod toward the previous group who "gave birth" to them.
while i agree to an extent, i think there is a lot more credit given to todays players because we see them today, i truly believe that a lot more of the old school guys would be just fine today as athletic ability IMO doesnt get better, or was not worse but more the techniques and technology with which the players where trained and used have improved. give a guy like wilt or russell, or mikan or west todays shoes, ball, surface, maybe some damn longer shorts, and a staff of trainers, coaches and doctors and i bet they compete just fine. maybe they dont dominate completely but they would not be fighting for a roster spot or on a d league team either.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
while i agree to an extent, i think there is a lot more credit given to todays players because we see them today, i truly believe that a lot more of the old school guys would be just fine today as athletic ability IMO doesnt get better, or was not worse but more the techniques and technology with which the players where trained and used have improved. give a guy like wilt or russell, or mikan or west todays shoes, ball, surface, maybe some damn longer shorts, and a staff of trainers, coaches and doctors and i bet they compete just fine. maybe they dont dominate completely but they would not be fighting for a roster spot or on a d league team either.
And I agree with that also - I was thinking of how todays players sat (too close) in front of their TVs drinking in the behind-the-backs and spin moves from guys who played earlier, then went out in the driveway or parking lot and duplicated the moves - then ultimately improved upon them.

But you're right, the luxuries afforded today's players are unbelievable compared to what the guys went through in the early days.

Bus, anyone?

Old 06-29-2011, 05:19 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Sure those guys would be better with modern facilities/support, but you can't ignore than when you go as far back as Mikan there just wasn't competition or size. Here is Mikan's '50 Lakers team:

Hassett G 6'1" 180 lbs.
Carlson G 6'0" 170 lbs.
Schaefer G 6'0" 175 lbs.
Walther G 6'2" 160 lbs.
Harrison G 6'1" 190 lbs.
Martin G 5'10" 170 lbs.
Ferrin F 6'4" 180 lbs.
Grant F 6'3" 195 lbs.
Stump F 6'2" 185 lbs.
Pollard F 6'5" 185 lbs.
Glick F 6'6" 190 lbs.
Jaros F 6'3" 185 lbs.
Mikkelsen F 6'7" 230 lbs.
Mikan C 6'10" 245 lbs.

He was a man among boys just by being big, give him as much shoes and trainers as you want it wouldn't change that he'd be in the low-post trying to score and rebound against seven footers instead of some 6'6 center from the Fort Wayne Pistons who's other job is working in a factory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball