Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 10:34 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,116,346 times

Advertisements

^Well, the next year the Bulls had 72 wins w/Jordan. Its would be difficult to pinpoint the team w/Jordan against the Rockets, but in general I think most non biased fans think Jordan has 8 titles if not for his jaunt into baseball.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 10:42 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
^Well, the next year the Bulls had 72 wins w/Jordan. Its would be difficult to pinpoint the team w/Jordan against the Rockets, but in general I think most non biased fans think Jordan has 8 titles if not for his jaunt into baseball.....
That's just it. The 95 Bulls were in a bit of transition, Grant had left and Rodman hadn't yet joined. The question is, if Jordan hadn't retired, would Grant still have left? Would Rodman have ever joined? Hard to say what 'could' have happened if Jordan never retired.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:25 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Who the hell did the Bulls beat?

1991: aged and very slow Laker and Pistons teams
1992: not ready for primetime Blazers and Cavs
1993: soft Suns and limited Knicks
1996: knucklehead Sonics and Magic (tough w/ Shaq and Penny)
1997: perennial also-rans Jazz and a thuggish, unexplosive Heat team
1998: perennial also-rans Jazz2 and Pacers whose best player was Reggie Miller.

These were all easy roads. Nothing compared to the acheivements of the Western champs to come like the Spurs and Lakers teams, the West was brutal then.

Back to the original question, the Rockets of those days generally played very well vs the Bulls, granted just twice a year. Vernon Maxwell had a reputation for guarding Jordan very well. And the Cartwrights, Perdues and Wenningtons could only hope to foul the Dream.
LOL. Back in those days the EAST was the dominant league and it was indeed a dogfight. There were several years where the Knicks were arguably the 2nd best team in the league and by the time Jordan took his break they had declined as a team a bit due to age.

Loving that revisionist history.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
That's just it. The 95 Bulls were in a bit of transition, Grant had left and Rodman hadn't yet joined. The question is, if Jordan hadn't retired, would Grant still have left? Would Rodman have ever joined? Hard to say what 'could' have happened if Jordan never retired.
Yeah. Too tough to even call this one....wayyyyy too many moving pieces.

The 2 years vs. Houston would have been dogfights, flip a coin.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah. Too tough to even call this one....wayyyyy too many moving pieces.
Yep, and I only mentioned Grant and Rodman. Paxson, Armstrong, Stacey King, gave way to Kerr, Wennington, Longley, Kukoc.... lots of movement on that Bulls roster between 1993 and 1995.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Yep, and I only mentioned Grant and Rodman. Paxson, Armstrong, Stacey King, gave way to Kerr, Wennington, Longley, Kukoc.... lots of movement on that Bulls roster between 1993 and 1995.

That is alot of transition, but that also speaks to Jordans greatness....

Old 07-08-2011, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Ahhhhhh, yes it does.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I know, I saw an enormous number of those games.

It also speaks to managements ability to utilize the Pippen-Jordan core and put the right pieces next to it.

Ron Harper - picked him up off the garbage heap since he'd lost a step and couldn't be a teams #1 scorer anymore.

Rodman for Will Perdue? let that one sink in.....

Tony Kukoc in a draft steal from years and years before.

(And remember these are the same guys that went to great lengths to manuever and snatch up pippen and grant in the same draft.)

Speaks to Jordan and Pippen.....and also the fact that management didn't stand pat. Swap rodman and perdue back and that costs Jordan at least 1 ring....probably 2 or 3.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:

Phew.... thanks for short-circuiting my brain cells reminding me on that one!

Old 07-08-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
I know, I saw an enormous number of those games.

It also speaks to managements ability to utilize the Pippen-Jordan core and put the right pieces next to it.

Ron Harper - picked him up off the garbage heap since he'd lost a step and couldn't be a teams #1 scorer anymore.

Tony Kukoc in a draft steal from years and years before.

(And remember these are the same guys that went to great lengths to manuever and snatch up pippen and grant in the same draft.)

Speaks to Jordan and Pippen.....and also the fact that management didn't stand pat. Swap rodman and perdue back and that costs Jordan at least 1 ring....probably 2 or 3.
Maybe. Pippen was a good Robin, but as much credit as Jodan gets, Pippen gets to much. Pippen gets "go to guy credit", that he never deserved. He's not a top 50 guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball