U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 05:36 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,430,940 times

Advertisements

No one has made it in with Yao like stats .... that is absurd

Career 19 & 9 guys don't make it into the HOF - especially when that career is only 486 games

That would be like saying that if Chris Boshs career ended before this season (when he was at 509 games) that he had a HOF career
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 05:40 PM

or Elton Brand after the 05-06 season (which you would have to do as Brand had slighty better numbers after the same # of games

Old 07-21-2011, 06:13 PM

JL - to answer your PM here are my thoughts on those players

Chris Mullin - outstanding collegiate career - 3x Big East POY, 3x All American, National POY - 1984 national team member & gold medalist - he was also a member of the 1992 dream team

career stats of 18ppg, 4 rpb, 3.5 apg, .6 bpg, 1.6 spg, ...... he did have a 5 year stretch in there where he averaged over 25ppg each season and he's over 50% shooting for his career (including 38% from 3) to go with 87% from the stripe ..... marginal candidate who made it in, IMO, due to an oustanding college/US National career - a good long career with a strong burst where he was amongst the top in the league and then continued work within basketball (becoming an executive, TV work, etc)

Bill Bradley - you do realize who Bill Bradley is right? - NPOY at Princeton, 1964 Gold Medalist - didn't go to the NBA right away as he spent time at Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar ... however, after that 2 year delay he joined the knicks (with a 6 month commitment to the Air Force which carved into his rookie year) - guy averaged 30ppg at Princeton and still holds many Ivy League Records

professional stats aren't overwhelming at 12, 3 & 3 .... he did win two titles though ... stats a little dilluted playing on an absolutely stacked knicks team (the 72 knicks have 6 players in the HOF and two very good coaches in Phil Jackson & Henry Bibby) .... he was elected in '82, so it was still also a bit of a different era .... he also did a ton of stuff as an individual while with the knicks

maybe he doesn't get in if he wasn't senator bradley or if his amateur career wasn't so outstanding or if those knick teams weren't loaded

"Marques Haynes was a Harlem Globetrotter who made it in. How do you explain that?"

the first black player to touch an NBA court was in 1950 .... his globetrotter teams in '48 & '49 defeated the George Mikan led lakers ..... guy had a 40 year professional career .... collegiate record of 112-3 .... became internationally famous and played on the barnstorming globetrotters team

He turned down a contract that would of made him the 2nd highest paid player in the NBA to start his own barnstorming team- the Harlem Magicians ... he also founded the Players Union for the Globetrotters players

His induction came before the induction of the actual Globetrotters - which are an important piece to our basketball history

Old 07-21-2011, 07:15 PM

51,928 posts, read 41,798,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Question, this whole "Yao brought the Chinese market to the NBA" thing, is that HOF worthy just because it creates a ton of revenue for the league? Or is it HOF worthy because you guys are assuming a new generation of Chinese stars are on their way to the league?
I personally think....NEITHER.

Again, look at some recent inductees to the HOF....it's a shame I have to post these links again, some people have obviously skipped parts of this thread.

Ubiratan Pereira Maciel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dra

I would also note that Yao was THE FACE of international basketball (not just the NBA) for about a 1/4 of the worlds population and carried the flag for the entire Chinese contingent at the olympics and so on and so forth. It's things like this, coupled with a good but injury shortened NBA career along with Olympic play and other FIBA stuff that makes him a slam dunk to get in.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:29 PM
JL JL started this thread

7,351 posts, read 11,883,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
JL - to answer your PM here are my thoughts on those players

Chris Mullin - outstanding collegiate career - 3x Big East POY, 3x All American, National POY - 1984 national team member & gold medalist - he was also a member of the 1992 dream team

career stats of 18ppg, 4 rpb, 3.5 apg, .6 bpg, 1.6 spg, ...... he did have a 5 year stretch in there where he averaged over 25ppg each season and he's over 50% shooting for his career (including 38% from 3) to go with 87% from the stripe ..... marginal candidate who made it in, IMO, due to an oustanding college/US National career - a good long career with a strong burst where he was amongst the top in the league and then continued work within basketball (becoming an executive, TV work, etc)

Bill Bradley - you do realize who Bill Bradley is right? - NPOY at Princeton, 1964 Gold Medalist - didn't go to the NBA right away as he spent time at Oxford as a Rhodes Scholar ... however, after that 2 year delay he joined the knicks (with a 6 month commitment to the Air Force which carved into his rookie year) - guy averaged 30ppg at Princeton and still holds many Ivy League Records

professional stats aren't overwhelming at 12, 3 & 3 .... he did win two titles though ... stats a little dilluted playing on an absolutely stacked knicks team (the 72 knicks have 6 players in the HOF and two very good coaches in Phil Jackson & Henry Bibby) .... he was elected in '82, so it was still also a bit of a different era .... he also did a ton of stuff as an individual while with the knicks

maybe he doesn't get in if he wasn't senator bradley or if his amateur career wasn't so outstanding or if those knick teams weren't loaded

"Marques Haynes was a Harlem Globetrotter who made it in. How do you explain that?"

the first black player to touch an NBA court was in 1950 .... his globetrotter teams in '48 & '49 defeated the George Mikan led lakers ..... guy had a 40 year professional career .... collegiate record of 112-3 .... became internationally famous and played on the barnstorming globetrotters team

He turned down a contract that would of made him the 2nd highest paid player in the NBA to start his own barnstorming team- the Harlem Magicians ... he also founded the Players Union for the Globetrotters players

His induction came before the induction of the actual Globetrotters - which are an important piece to our basketball history
Just because Yao didn't play college ball and played international ball which to me is just as equivalent to college shouldn't exclude his accomplishments. He was 3 times MVP in Asia. For his short time, he was selected 5 times to the All NBA team. I'm not gonna fault Yao because his team was very bad. To me, he made his Olympic team several times which is an accomplisment in itself.

I am not saying those other 3 players don't deserve to be in, but what Yao did is significant just like what Haynes did. Before Yao, the Chinese never had that impact. Bill was the first player to become Senator. That is impact. Yao's credentials and impact are up there with these guys. I think people here in the U.S just don't understand much about how he has influenced basketball in China. The only issue is his length of play.

It is interesting that people fault him for playing in Asia, but if he had defected to the U.S after being drafted in the NBA and then become a U.S citizen. I am pretty certain the U.S would have him on the U.S Olympic team. With him as center and other NBA players surrounding him, Yao would be wearing a gold medal too. People need to take off their sun glasses and keep things in perspective just because they only hear stuff here in the U.S and discredit everything abroad. This includes stuff in politics too.

Last edited by JL; 07-21-2011 at 08:21 PM..

Old 07-21-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Again, look at some recent inductees to the HOF....it's a shame I have to post these links again, some people have obviously skipped parts of this thread.

Dra

I would also note that Yao was THE FACE of international basketball (not just the NBA) for about a 1/4 of the worlds population and carried the flag for the entire Chinese contingent at the olympics and so on and so forth. It's things like this, coupled with a good but injury shortened NBA career along with Olympic play and other FIBA stuff that makes him a slam dunk to get in.
Agree. I only question if he played long enough eventhough he was good in the NBA,but his impact more than makes up for it.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:10 PM

he didn't do anything abroad

nothing

zilch

zero

nada

his career was less than dino radja

Old 07-21-2011, 10:33 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,363,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Dra

Not being a smart ass but do you have any proof of that other than "Yao is Chinese and there are over a billion Chinese people." And, yes I was paying attention the last decade, I don't remember any crazy basketball activity in China. All-Star votes is all I can come up with and that is not that significant (I can back that up).

I admit, I could be missing, a lot, but I would just like to be educated on the subject.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
he didn't do anything abroad

nothing

zilch

zero

nada

his career was less than dino radja
The question i have...are you gonna be in this forum 5 yrs from now or are you gonna hide 5 yrs from now?

Old 07-21-2011, 10:54 PM

Wouldn't be the first basketball related decision I didn't agree with.............

Anywho - I do think this has run it's course .... i definitely do see where you guys are coming from, I just don't buy most of it ... but I think very little is left to be said

Onto other diversions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball