U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2011, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
28,550 posts, read 15,489,914 times
Reputation: 11430

Advertisements

I am reminded of how long Manute Bol played at 7'-7". He was razor thin and because of that, his lower members were never over stressed. I would argue that Bol was more athletic, he just didn't have the offensive skill that Yao has. I do think Bol was better defensively.

Ralph Sampson is another player with good offensive skill at 7'-4".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2011, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,199,606 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I am reminded of how long Manute Bol played at 7'-7". He was razor thin and because of that, his lower members were never over stressed. I would argue that Bol was more athletic, he just didn't have the offensive skill that Yao has. I do think Bol was better defensively.

Ralph Sampson is another player with good offensive skill at 7'-4".
Bol actually was a solid 3 point shooter but his unorthodox shot was something that scared a few of his coaches not named don Nelson. I remember watching him as a Warrior drain 8 in one game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 08:12 AM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,199,606 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I over-reacted, for that I apologize.

We just had poster after poster come in with ZERO clue about what actually gets someone in the HOF and despite repeatedly pointing this out and even linking to the list of past inductees with their accomplishments right next to their name...

So, to come to an informed decision you would have to check out Yao's total resume including his actions outside of the NBA and compare them to others.

It's not the NBA HOF.
No problem.

I just think there should be some type of standard. I agree that he was a great ambassador for the game but players are usually just judged by their ability and results on the court,field,or in the rink. In baseball a guy like Hideki Matsui or Fernando Valenzuela were great ambassadors too but their lifetime stats will keep them out of the baseball hall, that's why I think Yao shouldn't be in. If we take into consideration how much he spread the game to China,his jersey sales,international tv rights, charity work, and his playing ability; that's a different story. He did have a fairly short career though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,884,885 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
No problem.

I just think there should be some type of standard. I agree that he was a great ambassador for the game but players are usually just judged by their ability and results on the court,field,or in the rink.

If we take into consideration how much he spread the game to China,his jersey sales,international tv rights, charity work, and his playing ability; that's a different story. He did have a fairly short career though.
The second paragraph sums up exactly why he'd be considered. Yao's career as an NBA player wouldn't get him into the hall. However, just because he was an NBA player doesn't mean he can only be judged on the basis of his on-court contribution. He made serious off-court contribution that warrants consideration.

Now, saying there needs to be a standard( a set criteria for voting) is another argument and I'll neither agree or disagree. The term used is 'a signification contribution to the game of Basketball.' That's very subjective, and what he did( off court) if you have 10 different people voting, will have different levels of importance to all concerned.

Let me put it to you this way: If I was voting, I would look at his NBA record, FIBA and olympic career, and his off-court activities. I would then take the sum of all that, and made a determination on whether a 'significant' contribution to the game of Basketball' applies.... in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,199,606 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
The second paragraph sums up exactly why he'd be considered. Yao's career as an NBA player wouldn't get him into the hall. However, just because he was an NBA player doesn't mean he can only be judged on the basis of his on-court contribution. He made serious off-court contribution that warrants consideration.

Now, saying there needs to be a standard( a set criteria for voting) is another argument and I'll neither agree or disagree. The term used is 'a signification contribution to the game of Basketball.' That's very subjective, and what he did( off court) if you have 10 different people voting, will have different levels of importance to all concerned.

Let me put it to you this way: If I was voting, I would look at his NBA record, FIBA and olympic career, and his off-court activities. I would then take the sum of all that, and made a determination on whether a 'significant' contribution to the game of Basketball' applies.... in my opinion.
I know where you coming from but based on this tons of guys in all sports could make their respective halls even if their playing ablility was subpar but the rest of their resume was strong. Manute Bol was an EXTREME humanitarian and donate millions to his native Sudan and constantly travelled to Africa, and Europe spreading peace. He was a solid defender almost entirely based on his shot blocking ability but rarely was involved in the offense. Should he be in? I knew him when he went to Bridgeport and he was the nicest guy you'd ever meet but in my opinion not hall worthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,884,885 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I know where you coming from but based on this tons of guys in all sports could make their respective halls even if their playing ablility was subpar but the rest of their resume was strong.
Yes, but this assumes that the standards for HOF status is the same across all sports. It's pretty much a consensus opinion that the NBA HOF doesn't have as 'strict' a set of requirements as Baseball or the NFL. The argument you could make is that it cheapens the honor if the voting criteria is a little broader, but I am primarily making my case about Yao based on the established criteria for basketball HOF acceptance. Whether one considers his resume as 'HOF worthy' based upon several factors ( playing career, off-court charity work) is a completely subjective thing. YMMV where that's concerned....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 03:51 PM
JL JL started this thread
 
7,355 posts, read 11,899,895 times
Reputation: 7198
You guys have to see some of the other ones who are in the HOF. Chris Mullins and Bill Bradley aren't exactly overwhelming stats and accomplishments. The only case that can be made against Yao is because he didn't play long enough not because his numbers and accomplishments were weak. When he was healthy, per 36 minutes he was 21 and 10. If the HOF really needs to set some requirement, i think they need to require that a player play a minimum number of games or minutes to qualify. Everything else can be left alone as is. Btw, i believe the All-Star voting opened online beginning in 2007 or something for all the world to vote, so Yao really only deserved 5 All-Stars instead of the 8 he was named to.

I think the NBA will let Yao in because of $$ more than anything. Manute Bol was a humanitarian, but he didn't bring the $$ which comes with awareness from basketball to Sudan like Yao did for China and NBA. The key word is contribution to the sport. I'm sure there will be articles in the near future about how much increase in revenue the NBA received after Yao joined the league.

Maybe that is why all these guys in baseball are all juiced up. They know stats is the way to get into the HOF....now we know that some of these guys don't deserve it. The ironic thing is that Pete Rose wasn't a juicer, but he can't get in due to gambling, yet his stats are clearly HOFer. Since when was character important in getting into the baseball HOF....lol.....it should be all about stats right?

Last edited by JL; 07-16-2011 at 04:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,199,606 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
You guys have to see some of the other ones who are in the HOF. Chris Mullins and Bill Bradley aren't exactly overwhelming stats and accomplishments. The only case that can be made against Yao is because he didn't play long enough not because his numbers and accomplishments were weak. When he was healthy, per 36 minutes he was 21 and 10. If the HOF really needs to set some requirement, i think they need to require that a player play a minimum number of games or minutes to qualify. Everything else can be left alone as is. Btw, i believe the All-Star voting opened online beginning in 2007 or something for all the world to vote, so Yao really only deserved 5 All-Stars instead of the 8 he was named to.

I think the NBA will let Yao in because of $$ more than anything. Manute Bol was a humanitarian, but he didn't bring the $$ which comes with awareness from basketball to Sudan like Yao did for China and NBA. The key word is contribution to the sport. I'm sure there will be articles in the near future about how much increase in revenue the NBA received after Yao joined the league.

As for Rose,his stats are elite. No other guy will probably ever get 4000 hits and he should be in based on his playing ability and stats but for the same reason Yao might get in, that's what would keep Rose out. He scarred the game because people wonder if he bet on his own team and possibly threw games to win bets.

Maybe that is why all these guys in baseball are all juiced up. They know stats is the way to get into the HOF....now we know that some of these guys don't deserve it. The ironic thing is that Pete Rose wasn't a juicer, but he can't get in due to gambling, yet his stats are clearly HOFer. Since when was character important in getting into the baseball HOF....lol.....it should be all about stats right?
I'm a Warriors fan and have watched Mullin since he entered the league. He was a guy who was averaging 20 points a game for a longer career than Yao's and led his team(Run TMC) into the playoffs without barely any defense played by the team. People overlook him because the Warriors were always overlooked because they played in the same division as the Lakers. Also if he was so mediocre,than why was he on the 1st Dream Team? I consider him the same caliber as a Barkley and Pippen type guys. They are the top guys but not Magic, Jordan or Bird. A step under the elite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2011, 11:41 PM
JL JL started this thread
 
7,355 posts, read 11,899,895 times
Reputation: 7198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I'm a Warriors fan and have watched Mullin since he entered the league. He was a guy who was averaging 20 points a game for a longer career than Yao's and led his team(Run TMC) into the playoffs without barely any defense played by the team. People overlook him because the Warriors were always overlooked because they played in the same division as the Lakers. Also if he was so mediocre,than why was he on the 1st Dream Team? I consider him the same caliber as a Barkley and Pippen type guys. They are the top guys but not Magic, Jordan or Bird. A step under the elite.
Never said he was mediocre and i think he deserves to be in, but he wasn't overwhelming than Yao. My point is that Yao was up there in stats, but due to injury he obviously hasn't had the time. The only reason Yao shouldn't get is because he didn't play long enough if they had that requirement. For the short time Yao has played, his stats and accomplishments were up there. If people don't think he deserves to be in because he didn't play long enough, than that is fine, but not because he wasn't good enough because he was if you wanna go down that HOF list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2011, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,199,606 times
Reputation: 2488
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Never said he was mediocre and i think he deserves to be in, but he wasn't overwhelming than Yao. My point is that Yao was up there in stats, but due to injury he obviously hasn't had the time. The only reason Yao shouldn't get is because he didn't play long enough if they had that requirement. For the short time Yao has played, his stats and accomplishments were up there. If people don't think he deserves to be in because he didn't play long enough, than that is fine, but not because he wasn't good enough because he was if you wanna go down that HOF list.
I agree about Yao's playing ability. He was a very good player when healthy and the numbers showed it. I guess i'm biased mostly because of the MLB HOF. Lots of guys that I liked were clipped because of injuries that shortened their careers and kept them out. Don Mattingly is one name that comes to mind. Great player but his career fell a little short in playing length.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top