U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 09:56 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I guess i'm biased mostly because of the MLB HOF.
Ah ha, that's precisely it. MLB and Basketball have different standards for HOF entry. It's generally accepted that baseball has stricter requirements for HOF entrance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 10:00 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,179,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Ah ha, that's precisely it. MLB and Basketball have different standards for HOF entry. It's generally accepted that baseball has stricter requirements for HOF entrance.
I do think the NBA HOF is a little diluted though. I do think that players, coaches, etc... should be in but there should be a higher standard. In baseball it shouldn't be as strict.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:08 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,050 times
Quote:
I do think the NBA HOF is a little diluted though. I do think that players, coaches, etc... should be in but there should be a higher standard.
Yeah, that's one argument that probably can be easily made. If the basketball hall of fame was restricted to players and coaches *only* who were the creme de la creme, the list of HOFers would be MUCH shorter and have a more 'exclusive' aura about it.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:42 AM
JL JL started this thread

7,351 posts, read 11,877,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Yeah, that's one argument that probably can be easily made. If the basketball hall of fame was restricted to players and coaches *only* who were the creme de la creme, the list of HOFers would be MUCH shorter and have a more 'exclusive' aura about it.
I agree with you guys. It should be more exclusive. I do see why they do want it to be more inclusive to a certain extent though. They are trying to give it more of a wide appeal to the world. They don't want it to be just stats cause that would be kinda boring. They want to have players, coaches, etc. from all walks of life and backgrounds to be in it. When you think about it, when visitors visit or take a tour of the HOF, it would be more interesting to see players from all backgrounds and countries and how they were able to play at their highest levels. Good to have coaches, players , etc. who have impacted the game which is really the HOF's objective...to make the sport better and have more youth play the game each generation. That is why they look at a combo of stats/accomplisments/impact/character(?) as criteria. I doubt they will have any kind of minimum requirement since they probably think that each player, coach, etc. are to be judged on a case by case basis. Lets face it though. The NFL and MLB have more of a following than the NBA, so maybe that is another part of the NBA's strategy to 'catch' up.

Last edited by JL; 07-17-2011 at 11:06 AM..

Old 07-17-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I agree about Yao's playing ability. He was a very good player when healthy and the numbers showed it. I guess i'm biased mostly because of the MLB HOF. Lots of guys that I liked were clipped because of injuries that shortened their careers and kept them out. Don Mattingly is one name that comes to mind. Great player but his career fell a little short in playing length.
Don should be in. I agree. I think in MLB, due to longer careers, they might have a higher 'requirement' to length of service. I am also beginning to wonder if the steroid issue has tainted the voters' minds in selecting HOFers now. They seem to be using that mindset against any potential nominee. It clearly is blocking their judgement, but i guess many can see why. I also think they should separate stuff on the field vs off the field. There is no way that someone like Pete Rose should be kept out of the HOF. The 4,000 hits is amazing just like Nolan Ryan's career strikeouts and Joe DiMaggio's 56 hit streak! It will be interesting to see how the voting goes when it's time for Bonds, McGuire, Palmero, etc. to be eligible for HOF.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:06 PM

51,862 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Quote:
I agree about Yao's playing ability. He was a very good player when healthy and the numbers showed it. I guess i'm biased mostly because of the MLB HOF. Lots of guys that I liked were clipped because of injuries that shortened their careers and kept them out. Don Mattingly is one name that comes to mind. Great player but his career fell a little short in playing length.
Yeah, the NBA doesn't work that way.....Bill Walton would be a key example.

Let's not forget, Yao was on what? something like 5 all-nba teams.

You can get in the NBA HOF as a player in 3 ways or combination thereof.

1. Huge carreer numbers. A very good player for a very long time. Ray Allen etc.

2. Being one of if not the best player in the league for a shorter period of time. Walton is the poster child. Basically the MVP award is almost like the golden ticket to the hall.

3. International carreer. Guys like Ginobli, Yao, Sabonis, Divac etc. and it doesn't mean you had to win an olympic gold, just getting a team like China into the semis was a huge huge deal and due to Yao dominating.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:39 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,178,254 times
Sad. It seems like really big men....over 7'4 or 7'5, never really reach their potential, even though there's often a lot of excitment....shawn bradley comes to mind. It seems like people always think they'll change the game and dominate, or at least have the potential. But being so big is such a health risk.

He was good for the NBA. It's sad to see his career get cut short.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Sad. It seems like really big men....over 7'4 or 7'5, never really reach their potential, even though there's often a lot of excitment....shawn bradley comes to mind. It seems like people always think they'll change the game and dominate, or at least have the potential. But being so big is such a health risk.

He was good for the NBA. It's sad to see his career get cut short.
Yao had the biggest lower body for a 7fter. He had tree trunk legs. I think all that weight eventually killed his feet. Check out his legs.

His calves were probably bigger than Rondo's thighs...

Old 07-17-2011, 11:07 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,178,254 times
It's sad because Yao was so unique. How many guys 7'6 will ever have his skills? Not very many.

He was probably one of the most unique athletes in any sport in the last 15 years.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:33 AM

51,862 posts, read 41,765,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Yao had the biggest lower body for a 7fter. He had tree trunk legs. I think all that weight eventually killed his feet. Check out his legs.

His calves were probably bigger than Rondo's thighs...

Great post JL.

Yao will be the tallest player in the HOF once inducted. Sabonis at 7'3 is the current tallest HOFer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball