U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Team is Best?
Team A 3 25.00%
Team B 1 8.33%
Team C 2 16.67%
Team D 0 0%
Team E 3 25.00%
Team F 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 06:36 PM

3,653 posts, read 3,892,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Couldn't one argue that if Shaq took the time to get in shape, and tried to develop an inside shot, he could have actually been less dominant? I mean the guy lasted to be the oldest player in the league as is and his biggest asset in his prime was his physical presence.

I for one am glad shaq didn't waste countless possessions trying to develop a 16 footer he didn't need. And I am not privy to shaqs work out regiment when he played, but was he really THAT lazy? I mean he wasn't like a slob out there, he ran the floor, kind of well considering his size, and I don't recall him breaking down to injury that often (he did have his injuries of course, but a guy that size that was also a lazy slob prob would have had more)
Less dominant? Not necessarily, I think it merely would have added another dimension to his game. And had he improved his foul shooting? Forget about it. I mean, really.... how would you defend the guy?

While he was practically Superman in his prime, and players seemed to bounce off him, in reality it had to have worn him down over 20 seasons. To be carrying that much mass and size on his joints.....ouch. Remember, in order to stop Shaq in his championship prime you practically had to maul the guy. Fouls that players were committing on him then, would get you tossed as flagrants today. After a while, that had to add up.

If you look at his career numbers, he missed a lot of time. The last time he played anywhere near a full season was back in 09, 75 games. Before that he was routinely missing 20-30 games a year. He's actually only had 2 seasons out of 20, where he played over 80 games, and that was his first 2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 06:45 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,379,578 times
He averaged 60.35 games a season, not great, but that is including the last two which are dismal for that stat.

As far as foul shots, I think he just may have not had it in him. He took 11K foul shots in his career and many more than that in practice. What would the magic # be, 50K, 60K etc? It's like Tiger and his driver, when he was the best golfer in the world, he still was below average with his driver certain years...very few people have complete games. If you focus on one aspect, you give up something in another.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:49 PM

Funny thing is you hear the stories that Shaq nailed free throws in practice.... of course that's a far cry from an NBA arena with 20,000 pairs of eyes looking at you( and countless others watching on TV). The thing is that was his one true fatal weakness as a player, had he managed to overcome that, there would have been no answer for him.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 PM

478 posts, read 597,385 times
Alot of big guys struggle shooting free throws so Shaq isn't alone there. But I agree if he would've even shot 65% from the free throw line for his career, theres no telling what his career numbers would've ended up being. Which kind of brings me to a current player who I don't think shoots free throws very well for as good as he's suppoused to be, Lebron James. He's shot 74% from the ft line for his career, compare that to Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, and Magic Johnson who have career free throw percentages of around 84% with Magic's being around 85%. That free throw shooting is very important. Lebron is good in the open transition, he's good at drawing fouls, he's a pretty good passer, pretty good rebounder, below average post game, average three shooter, and doesn't have a very good mid-range game. Im a Cavs fan so I have seen him play alot and thats the stuff I notice about him. He seems to be better when the the offense is run through him, he doesn't play very well off the ball as Im sure everybody saw in the Finals.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:18 PM

52,206 posts, read 42,000,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Easily... and I say that fully admitting to being a Jordan fanboy. An in-shape, motivated, disciplined Shaq would have been the greatest player. I mean, he didn't even NEED to be a great free throw shooter..... 65-70% and even Hack- a- Shaq would have been an ineffective tactic.
It really wasn't an effective tactic, more of a desperation play. Shaq's nickname should have been "and 1" instead of superman lol.

Remember that even making 50% of your FT's is a solid pts per possession move AND it puts the other team in the penalty making it MUCH harder to guard the Dwades, Pennys, Kobes and so on and so forth.

I'm trying to recall a playoff series lost to "hack a shaq".

Old 07-14-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It really wasn't an effective tactic, more of a desperation play. Shaq's nickname should have been "and 1" instead of superman lol.

Remember that even making 50% of your FT's is a solid pts per possession move AND it puts the other team in the penalty making it MUCH harder to guard the Dwades, Pennys, Kobes and so on and so forth.

I'm trying to recall a playoff series lost to "hack a shaq".
No it wasn't that effective, it was mainly a way to prevent an automatic 2 points from Shaq if he was within 5 feet of the basket. I guess looking at the percentages, team figured they'd live with one point off a free throw. It would have been a more effective tactic if Kobe Bryant wasn't there to take over in the clutch.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:42 AM

7,912 posts, read 8,224,238 times
ok i would love my vote back LMAO. that would be me with 3 HA!

Old 07-15-2011, 01:00 PM

52,206 posts, read 42,000,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
ok i would love my vote back LMAO. that would be me with 3 HA!
I should have had some sort of bidding war for my vote.....

If you really want to win, just give the word and will have you up by 10 votes shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball