U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who will go down as the better player?
Pau Gasol 0 0%
Dirk Nowitzki 22 100.00%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 04:03 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,994,747 times

Advertisements

As far as I'm concerned, the two best players ever to come from Europe*. When all is said and done, who do you think will go down as the better player?

Through 13 seasons, Dirk has 23 ppg at .476 shooting, 8.4 rpg, 2.7 apg, and 1 bpg.

Through 10 seasons, Pau has 18.8 ppg at .522 shooting, 9.1 rpg, 3.2 apg, and 1.7 bpg.

Dirk has an regular season and a finals mvp, as well as a FIBA WC mvp, while Pau has two NBA titles, and has also won a FIBA championship and was named MVP of the tournament.

* Yes, I know Sabonis was allegedly a monster back in the day, but you can't exactly compare dominating the Soviet League to the NBA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 07:09 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,945,562 times
Two different styled players.

Dirk plays outside

Pau plays in the post

P.S. I didn't vote. Both are great players for what they do. If they played similiar I would vote.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:35 PM

406 posts, read 503,939 times
Dirk is more fundamentally sound and is a better franchise player. Pau is a better defender.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 PM

247 posts, read 222,875 times
Dirk is a little quicker, has good mid-range and can knock down three pointers.

Pau is crafty under the basket, plays good defense, rebounds better than Dirk.

I'd say they both compliment each other.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:42 AM

3,653 posts, read 3,878,906 times
I figured this year's playoffs would have put this argument to bed.....

Old 07-13-2011, 10:54 AM

51,912 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Dirk slaughters Gasol, it's not even close.

You are forgetting Toni Kukoc whom I would compare favorably to gasol.

I'm guessing you don't remember Sabonis playing against David Robinson in the world championships, 88 olympics etc. LMAO.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:59 PM

478 posts, read 595,122 times
The easy answer for me is Dirk. I know Pau has two championships and as far as stats Pau has better stats in all other major categories besides scoring. The thing is Nowitzki has been the face of the Mavericks for most of his career. And before getting his first ring Dirk had already been a league mvp and been to the finals before and deep into the playoffs several times before that too. Gasol didn't really have any success winning until he went to the Lakers. When he was the main guy in Memphis they never made it out of the first round and never even won a game in the playoffs at that.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:49 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,182,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the two best players ever to come from Europe*. When all is said and done, who do you think will go down as the better player?

Through 13 seasons, Dirk has 23 ppg at .476 shooting, 8.4 rpg, 2.7 apg, and 1 bpg.

Through 10 seasons, Pau has 18.8 ppg at .522 shooting, 9.1 rpg, 3.2 apg, and 1.7 bpg.

Dirk has an regular season and a finals mvp, as well as a FIBA WC mvp, while Pau has two NBA titles, and has also won a FIBA championship and was named MVP of the tournament.

* Yes, I know Sabonis was allegedly a monster back in the day, but you can't exactly compare dominating the Soviet League to the NBA
When Sabonis came over he was up there in age but he was solid. If Drazen Petrovic didn't have his career shortened by a car accident, he would have been in this discussion. Detlef Schrempf was also pretty solid, Tony Parker(France) obviously is quite good too.I do think Dirk is far better than Pau though.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:20 AM

51,912 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Since the argument is "better player"....this would better be a debate about Dirk and Sabonis.

IF you want to make it about NBA career acheivements then it's Dirk by a mile over anyone else.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:31 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,152,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
When Sabonis came over he was up there in age but he was solid. If Drazen Petrovic didn't have his career shortened by a car accident, he would have been in this discussion. Detlef Schrempf was also pretty solid, Tony Parker(France) obviously is quite good too.I do think Dirk is far better than Pau though.
Beat me to it - Drazen Petrovic would be in the discussion if not for his fatal car accident. And Arvydas Sabonis had his best seasons while playing in Europe.

Regardless of the above, I think Dirk Nowitzki clearly has had the best NBA/basketball career of any European player up to this point. That will probably change in the next 10-15 years. When you consider how much more prominent the top European players in the NBA have become over the last 20-25 years, it seems inevitable that even more high quality Euros will be playing in the NBA over the next couple of decades and it wouldn't be surprising at all if one of those guys becomes a player who is regarded by most people as the best player in the world. (Though Nowitzki has won an NBA season MVP award, the only European player to do so through 2011, I don't think he has ever been universally regarded as the best player in the world. I do think he's been universally regarded as one of the top 5 or so players in the world for part of his career.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or