U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 07:00 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,412,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
I agree with everyone you said, except that the players wouldn't be under breach of contract because of the imposed lock-out.

Obviously, the idea is cool to think about - an epic revolt - but you're right, it's not realistic.

The biggest problem, I think, would be securing NBA-like arenas. Seating capacities in local colleges aren't nearly as large and lack the amenities that NBA arenas would. A team wouldn't pull in anywhere near the amount of ticket sales per game that an NBA arena would.

For fun, where would they play?

The Cavaliers would obviously go to the Wolstein Center (Cleveland State Univ.) - seating capacity roughly 13,000.

I think the Spurs could go back to the Alamo Dome - preferably with the hilarious pink court.

Lakers and Clippers could play at the Honda Center in Anaheim.

The Pacers would go to Assembly Hall at IU's campus - that'd be pretty epic.

Okay, so it'd never happen, but it'd be kind of fun.
Yeah, it is fun to think about as you put it an "epic revolt," in just about any industry. Sadly there are so many barriers that these things are extremely unlikely to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 07:12 AM

8,349 posts, read 14,238,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
The Pacers would go to Assembly Hall at IU's campus - that'd be pretty epic
Nah, they would more likely go back to their original arena, the Pepsi Coliseum or to Hinkle Fieldhouse.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:31 AM

1,123 posts, read 651,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I could google my way to an article to support the fact this won't happen too, but I wouldn't need to caveat it by calling myself a great mind. Feel free to bump this thread when this league happens.

You throw out a ridiculous premise then get uber defensive right off the bat. I'm sure this thread will bring great things, and monumental change to the pro basketball landscape
I had no idea you had so much emotionally invested in the NBA, and this discussion. Perhaps a sense of humor and some personality pills on sale at Walmart could help...

Old 07-16-2011, 04:30 PM
JL

7,359 posts, read 11,996,087 times
Players will need alot of help to form their own league. I seriously doubt they could do it by themselves. They will have to team up with either Venture Capitalists, Hedgefund big wigs, or big corporations and a bunch of lawyers to start up some league. Also, they will have to find medical staff, trainers, etc. The other thing is that the arenas have contracts with the NBA, so they have to find other places to play and that is far from easy considering you have to get insurance for the arenas due to accidents, people working there, etc. Also, negotiating licensing deals across countries isn't that easy and take alot of time.

If some big VCs or corporations help the players run it, they willl surely exact control of how to run things. If the players thought the NBA was getting their way, wait till the corporations/VCs run the league.

The NBA has 30 billionaire owners..think about that...not that easy to form a league on your own. If you think the stars like Kobe, DWill, etc are gonna take a huge paycut so that the money gets trickled somewhat fairly to the lower tiered players...think again....so sure they can try to form a league..... good luck with that though!

Last edited by JL; 07-16-2011 at 04:42 PM..

Old 07-16-2011, 09:38 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,215,175 times
Think about all the 2nd tier leagues that have existed in the past 30 years...USFL, ABA, etc. They don't have the prestige of the main league.

The NBA owners are smart. They know the NBA brand is so valuable, it doesnt matter if the league is shut down for a year. There's a certain economy of scale with sports. The main league gets a disproportionate amount of the business.

Remember the XFL? A lot of it is perception. The main league will always be seen as superior. Whether it is MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL. It seems like its hard to kill off a major league, even if they act incompetent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball