U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:33 PM

1,123 posts, read 644,313 times

Advertisements

Given that an NBA team needs only 12 players, and that the fans could not care less about the owners, why don't/can't the players form their own league, with the same geographical structure as the NBA?

They could form a league of 32 teams, create a single ownership structure as a not-for-profit like the NFL league office, and hire professional management to market the league, locate arenas in their city and handle player personnel for each team. The single league manager / owner would negotiate TV contracts for the new league, and all players would receive their prior salaries - or possibly more, since there would be no owner / middle man collecting profits.

The team names would obviously have to change, i.e., from the NY knicks to the NY "blank," and if their former NBA team owned the arena they'd have to find a new place to play, but then they could play at large, local college arenas.

If the same player rosters ending this past season were kept intact, and the draft selections from June were also retained, why could this not be established?

To the fans, outside of the city name and uniform change and possibly their home arena, everything else would be the same - meaning same rules, court size,, 24-sec shot clock, etc. They could hire refs from the college ranks or euro leagues, and after a season or two to iron out the kinks, no one would even notice anymore.

The owners would be totally f--ked out of their teams with 100% loss of investment as the NBA would fold without players, and the new league would never have the same ownership/player issue since the single owner would pay the players on a tiered structure based upon points, draft order selection, etc.

There would still be free agents, and after a few years, the single ownership structure could be revamped as the individual city teams could be sold off to the highest bidder in each city, completing the transformation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 08:12 PM

5,288 posts, read 6,367,309 times
Start up costs would be insane, NBA is established, players are under huge contracts they would be in breach of, fan bases would be slow to catch on, more players would likely go to europe than play in a start up league here, players like the league, the league has a legacy and history, the NBA has created an environment where basketball players can make the most money possible doing their craft, eventually the NBA would come back even if they did this and throw all their weight behind crushing it, a lot of arenas have exclusivity deals with NBA teams (specifically that prevent other pro basketball organizations from using their arena), colleges would have to build their schedule around the nba-esque team they would be loaning their arenas out too, I don't really think I need to keep going.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:18 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,203,780 times
i would assume there would be some sort of none compete or something.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Start up costs would be insane,
Such as?

Quote:
NBA is established
Meaningless, its the players that make the NBA - this is not the NFL.

Quote:
players are under huge contracts they would be in breach of
The contracts are voided when the owners locked out the players, suspending the contracts. If the contracts were still valid, then the owners would have to continue paying the players salaries, which they aren't.

Quote:
fan bases would be slow to catch on
Not at all - as a knicks fan, who cares if they're called the NY dipshytes, as long as its amare, carmelo, etc., who cares what color uniforms they wear and what the team name is?

Quote:
more players would likely go to europe than play in a start up league here
Not likely:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/14/sp...F8D64AE12D7F2B

Quote:
players like the league
They'll like being paid twice what they were making before with the middle man cut out.

Quote:
the league has a legacy and history
Of cocaine, selfish players and no-passing? You must be new to pro-basketball...

[quote] the NBA has created an environment where basketball players can make the most money possible doing their craft [quote]

Don't buy Stern's hype and BS, it was Jordan and Nike - not stern - who increased a lackluster league 25 years ago into the marketing machine it is now.

Quote:
eventually the NBA would come back even if they did this and throw all their weight behind crushing it
With what players? If all or most of the major NBA stars went into the new league, there would never be an NBA again.

Quote:
a lot of arenas have exclusivity deals with NBA teams (specifically that prevent other pro basketball organizations from using their arena),
This would violate the Sherman anti-trust act...

Quote:
colleges would have to build their schedule around the nba-esque team they would be loaning their arenas out too
No problem - college arenas use their facility for one game per week - and would not interfere. Plus there has been talk for years about shifting the pro-basketball schedule to the warmer months, from May - October, which would further cut down the conflicts.

It is very doable, the more I think about it the more achievable I believe it is.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
i would assume there would be some sort of none compete or something.
The owners locked the players out, the contracts are suspended and void.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:43 PM

3,267 posts, read 5,790,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Start up costs would be insane, NBA is established, players are under huge contracts they would be in breach of, fan bases would be slow to catch on, more players would likely go to europe than play in a start up league here, players like the league, the league has a legacy and history, the NBA has created an environment where basketball players can make the most money possible doing their craft, eventually the NBA would come back even if they did this and throw all their weight behind crushing it, a lot of arenas have exclusivity deals with NBA teams (specifically that prevent other pro basketball organizations from using their arena), colleges would have to build their schedule around the nba-esque team they would be loaning their arenas out too, I don't really think I need to keep going.
I agree with everyone you said, except that the players wouldn't be under breach of contract because of the imposed lock-out.

Obviously, the idea is cool to think about - an epic revolt - but you're right, it's not realistic.

The biggest problem, I think, would be securing NBA-like arenas. Seating capacities in local colleges aren't nearly as large and lack the amenities that NBA arenas would. A team wouldn't pull in anywhere near the amount of ticket sales per game that an NBA arena would.

For fun, where would they play?

The Cavaliers would obviously go to the Wolstein Center (Cleveland State Univ.) - seating capacity roughly 13,000.

I think the Spurs could go back to the Alamo Dome - preferably with the hilarious pink court.

Lakers and Clippers could play at the Honda Center in Anaheim.

The Pacers would go to Assembly Hall at IU's campus - that'd be pretty epic.

Okay, so it'd never happen, but it'd be kind of fun.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:45 PM

7,912 posts, read 8,203,780 times
None compete is not voided when employment is terminated, that's the whole point.

If you sign one then quit or get fired from your current job, then open a business doing the same thing you WILL get sued, I promise you, and you WILL lose. Now if the players want to sit out for 5-10 yrs for the none compete to expire then sure they could try to start up.

They would 1st have to find a place to play, owners/the teams have exclusive contracts with arenas, not players, and separate from any player contracts. If the players want to play games for penny's at a college arena or small venue (see NBA d-league arenas) then they would have a long row to hoe.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
None compete is not voided when employment is terminated, that's the whole point.

If you sign one then quit or get fired from your current job, then open a business doing the same thing you WILL get sued, I promise you, and you WILL lose. Now if the players want to sit out for 5-10 yrs for the none compete to expire then sure they could try to start up.
Uh, wrong. The owners have voided the contracts by locking the players out, so any non-compete clause contained therein is null and void.

Since the players earn their living playing basketball, the owners voided the contracts voluntarily, and the players playing in another pro-league would not be violating trade secrets of the owner's prior business, then there would be no basis to effect a non-compete clause.

This is not like a salesman working for GE who has inside information on an exclusive technology - he could just turn around and sell anything else.

Since a pro basketball player earns their living from playing pro basketball, there is no non-compete clause that would be respected by a judge. This is why Deron Williams could just get up and leave to play for Turkey, his legal advisors explained the facts of contract law - unlike some posters here on C-D.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:56 PM

LOL, just found this on the web, guess smart minds think alike:

Jordan Pushed Off: Owning A Team Ain't All That

"This recent SI.com article by law professor Michael McCann suggests, at Paragraph 10, suggests that locked-out NFL players could join other sports leagues, although he does not raise the possibility of the players starting their own league. In the NBA setting, it is important to note that under Section 9 of the NBA's Uniform Player Contract, each team effectively has the protection of a "non-compete clause": during the term of a player's contract, the team has the right to go to court and get an injunction prohibiting the player from playing "for any other person, firm, entity, or organization." However, it is unclear whether an NBA player contract would still be considered valid during a lockout. If the contracts are not in good standing during a lockout, then it seems that Section 9 would have no force. We should also note that many NBA players will become free agents on July 1st, though they are mostly middling players like Tyson Chandler and Nene Hilario. Those players certainly can escape the non-compete clause of Section 9, though, due to happenstance, the 2011 free-agent class would not be spectacular enough to support a financially sustainable new league.

It is unclear whether the non-compete clauses would be enforceable in court against Wade, James, Howard, Bryant, Paul, and the rest of the NBA's greatest stars, who would normally, without a lockout, be bound by valid contracts in 2011-12. [I welcome more advice from labor/employment law experts.] But why shouldn't they try? Should they fail, and should a new NBA labor agreement be concluded, it is unlikely that NBA owners would not welcome them back. The threat of a breakaway league is certainly a powerful negotiating position."

Old 07-14-2011, 06:57 AM

5,288 posts, read 6,367,309 times
I could google my way to an article to support the fact this won't happen too, but I wouldn't need to caveat it by calling myself a great mind. Feel free to bump this thread when this league happens.

You throw out a ridiculous premise then get uber defensive right off the bat. I'm sure this thread will bring great things, and monumental change to the pro basketball landscape
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball