U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 05:46 PM

411 posts, read 770,748 times

Advertisements

really anyone who questions Bird's dominance is probably racially motivated to do so. either that or they never saw the man play. I just can't get over the OP or someone on here claiming that Josh Smith would own Bird. So laughable!

anyone that says Bird was "one dimensional" is a complete idiot. Bird was better than every player in the NBA right now other than Lebron and maybe Kobe. Personally, I put him above Kobe. I put him above Lebron too and that's because Lebron will never have Larry's competitive fire. There is a reason it's called the Jordan, Magic, and Bird era. If he was just a jump shooter (still can't belive this was said) it would be called the Jordan and Magic era. Bird 3 titles and improved the Celtics wins by nearly FORTY in his first season. This is still without Ainge, DJ, McHale, and others.

The OP is definitely under 35 or just about the most ignorant fan I've ever read/heard/seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 08:56 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,471,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
How/why are we reliving a thread last posted on in 2011?

That's what I want to know. I was the OP...had forgotten all about this thread, when this young boy "kid" decideds to DM me. He proceeds to inform me how he felt it was important to his sense of self esteem I guess for him to revive a 2 year old thread to let me know how much he felt I was wrong. At first I was kinda harsh with the boy, until I realized that he was just a young kid who probably was forced to take crap from everyone so this forum is his only release. Let him spew and get things off his chest before we end up with another serial killer/terrorist/boy who only wanted a hug.

Alert: He is currently searching the archives for all old threads to revive. So if you posted something, preferably before 2011, he will be hitting up your mailbox real soon.

You've all been warned.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:51 PM

411 posts, read 770,748 times
actually someone else dug it up first. It was on page one. I didn't realize it was a two year old thread. Still, I don't see why that matters. You still said something really stupid. Are you saying that what you said 2 years ago doesn't apply now? Is your only defense going to be that you said it 2 years ago?

I think you should still be held accountable for saying such a stupid thing. Even if you were only 13 when you said it. Go learn why Bird is one of the all-time greats (top 3-5 in my opinion) and not even close to being a "one dimensional" player. Knowledge is power.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:17 AM

9,029 posts, read 16,430,940 times
Bird never had to play against "athletes" right?!

Dominique Wilkins Career Mix HD - YouTube

Los Angeles Lakers Showtime - YouTube

NBA Dunk - Tom Chambers vs. Knicks - YouTube

Also little known athletes like Dr. J and Michael Jordan..................

Old 10-29-2013, 09:58 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,408,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
actually someone else dug it up first. It was on page one. I didn't realize it was a two year old thread. Still, I don't see why that matters. You still said something really stupid. Are you saying that what you said 2 years ago doesn't apply now? Is your only defense going to be that you said it 2 years ago?

I think you should still be held accountable for saying such a stupid thing. Even if you were only 13 when you said it. Go learn why Bird is one of the all-time greats (top 3-5 in my opinion) and not even close to being a "one dimensional" player. Knowledge is power.
Well, it's mostly because it has been discussed and everyone has moved on to other topics.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:06 AM

18,794 posts, read 14,273,755 times
One thing about Bird that gets overlooked was his ability to hit a jump shot from anywhere. Most jump shooters have favorite spots and distances. It didn't seem to matter for Bird. He was equally at home from the corners, top of key, short, mid, or long range. He also was not one to rely on a robotic, picture-perfect form. He used a lot of wrist and could shoot falling away, leaning in, etc. He might be the greatest all-around jump shooter in history.

It is entirely possible that Bird would be better now. The 3 pt shot started in Bird's rookie year 1979. IIRC the distance was initially longer, too. The 3 pt shot was much less utilized in the early years than now:
The Evolution of the NBA’s Three-Point Shot | HOOPSWORLD | Basketball News & NBA Rumors

Quote:
Throughout much of the 1980s, threes remained a relative afterthought. During the 1986-87 campaign, sharpshooter Larry Bird led the league in three-pointers, despite knocking down a total of just 90 threes. In comparison, during the recently completed 2012-13 season there were 70 players that nailed at least 90 threes – including standouts such as Corey Brewer and Wayne Ellington.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:03 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,847,169 times
It is the same in 1979 and today. It was only shorter in the mid 90s for a few seasons.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:28 AM

18,794 posts, read 14,273,755 times
Yeah I saw that was in my own link about the 3 pt shot. Still it is true that the three point shot was much less utilized during the Bird era than now. Just look at the top 10 3pt shooters from last year. There were 5 guys with 300 attempts or more.
2012-13 Regular Season NBA Player Stats and League Leaders - 3-Points - National Basketball Association - ESPN

Only twice did Larry Bird put up more than 200 attempts during his career, and his peak was 237 attempts in 1987.
Larry Bird NBA & ABA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

Old 10-31-2013, 12:01 PM

2,176 posts, read 972,104 times
I don't think there is a single white guy in the nba that is considered or has been called "athletic". i mean kevin love just won the white guy award and is 6"10 with a 36 in vertical if thats not athletic what is? i think larry bird would own 90% of current nba players, cuz he actually had skills not just a 40" vertical.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:43 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,244,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Larry Bird: Here is the one guy who I think would struggle today. I watch old tape of him on Youtube and he looks slow even back then. No quickness, no hops, just a deadly jumpshot...sorry to say but I think he would get eaten up today. Do you see him scoring 30 against Josh Smith, Lebron, Young KG, Bruce Bowen, Young Artest...the list goes on and on...plus who would he guard on defense??? I see him being at best Peja Stojacovic with balls. But even Peja could only succeed on a team with multiple other options like the Kings had with Webber and Bibby. Make Peja the franchise? disaster. I think Bird got lucky that the era he played in didnt have a whole lot of athletic players yet...hell even his gay lover Bill Simmons admitted it. So what do you guys think?
Josh Smith doesn't guard anybody. Just because you swat a few balls into the 75th row every game doesn't mean you're a good defender.

Young Kevin Garnett could give Bird some trouble, but he gave everyone trouble. He's one of the best defensive players of all time.

Bruce Bowen couldn't guard him, Bird is too big. Bird was 6'9" with a high release point behind his head. Bird could shoot over him all day long and kill him in the post. Artest might give him a little more trouble, but Artest in his prime gave Lebron and Kobe trouble too. He never could guard Dirk though.

Bird's era largely overlapped Jordan's. Jordan came into the league only 5 years after Bird and was in the league 8 of the 13 years of Bird's career. Bird won league MVP in 1986. In 1987 Jordan had his 37 ppg season. Bird made the all-star team in 1991 and 1992 when Jordan won his first two championships. So if Bird played in an era that didn't have a whole lot of athletic players yet...what does that say about Michael Jordan's legacy? If Bird would be Peja Stojakovic in today's NBA, what would Jordan be? Dywane Wade?

Bird and Magic's careers almost completely overlapped. Each won 3 league MVPs. Would Magic not be that good in today's NBA too? I don't see how can you pick one guy and say he wouldn't be nearly as good today, but not say that about his contemporaries. Not to mention, Magic was pretty slow too.

Bird lit up Dominique Wilkins on a regular basis, and Dominique was 6'8" and about as fast and athletic as anyone in today's NBA, including Lebron. They played head to head 42 times in the regular season and Bird averaged 25 ppg against him. They played head to head 15 times in the playoffs and Bird averaged 25.9 ppg against him. If there weren't as good of athletes back then, why wasn't Dominique Wilkins better than Bird? He played against the same players. Why weren't Adrian Dantley, Alex English, Bernard King, James Worthy, Doctor J, and Mark Aguire better than Bird?

In 20 years people will be saying the same things about Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki. Nash was too slow, too small. He wouldn't be that good against today's athletes. Dirk was too slow, too soft, not strong enough. Yet we all saw team after team throw everyone they had at him in 2011 and no one could guard him. Ben Wallace, Charles Barkley, Dennis Rodman...they're all too small. Chauncey Billups, too slow. Mark Jackson...too slow. People are already saying the same thing about John Stockton...too slow, too small. Yet somehow in his prime he was better than Kevin Johnson, who was an incredible athlete. He was better than Tim Hardaway, Mookie Blaylock, Kenny Anderson, Rod Strickland. He was at least as good as Gary Payton. How is this possible if he was too slow?

Last edited by EugeneOnegin; 11-05-2013 at 10:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or