U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 04:42 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,053,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwashingtonkid View Post
r

The OP is definitely under 35 or just about the mlost ignorant fan I've ever read/heard/seen.
Actually he can't be the most ignorant. The top spot is clearly taken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 11:27 AM

3,018 posts, read 4,191,970 times
I had the good fortune to watch Bird play. He was a beast with a competitive fire that few ever had. Why do you think Magic Johnson is happy to admit that Bird was his fiercest competitor? Because Bird was a baller, all that and more. With the ticky tack fouls the league gives out today, most likely Bird would average more than what he did in the eighties. Bird was fun to watch. He was so intelligent as a player. He was already a move ahead of most players. He had one of the highest I.Q.s in the game. He would be an All star in any era. Like someone mentioned, some centers today can shoot better, perhaps dribble better; however, the centers of yesteryear like Ewing, Shaq, Olajuwan are over. With the exception of Shag, centers were more center like than they are today. This is a silly question and definitely people are using "athleticism" as a whole to mean much more than it does. Every year, there are several very athletic guys that don't make it to the league, because they lack intelligence and fundamentals.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:50 PM

411 posts, read 770,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Actually he can't be the most ignorant. The top spot is clearly taken.
is that you?

Old 11-06-2013, 10:02 PM

7,378 posts, read 11,546,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Just a question that always bubbled in my mind. I always try to put the players of the past and see if they would still be all time greats. Obviously this is a subjective exercise as everyone will feel differently about different players. Here are my thoughts;

Magic Johnson: I think he would still be an all time great today. A great passer is always relevant, no matter what era. And the thing about point guards is that you dont have to be the most athletic to thrive. Look at Steve Nash. He is isnt the quickest point guard around yet he had dominated for a few years. Add in the fact that his height advantage gave him the mismatch even today and I think he would be fine.

Michael Jordan: Yep, he would still dominate. Nuff said.

Isaiah Thomas: See Magic above

John Stockton: Ditto

Larry Bird: Here is the one guy who I think would struggle today. I watch old tape of him on Youtube and he looks slow even back then. No quickness, no hops, just a deadly jumpshot...sorry to say but I think he would get eaten up today. Do you see him scoring 30 against Josh Smith, Lebron, Young KG, Bruce Bowen, Young Artest...the list goes on and on...plus who would he guard on defense??? I see him being at best Peja Stojacovic with balls. But even Peja could only succeed on a team with multiple other options like the Kings had with Webber and Bibby. Make Peja the franchise? disaster. I think Bird got lucky that the era he played in didnt have a whole lot of athletic players yet...hell even his gay lover Bill Simmons admitted it. So what do you guys think?
I think all of those guys would be worse if they played today.

That's the way it is. Athletes evolve. Same with baseball, and football. Nutrition and training gets better.

In basketball, in particular, the dribbling skills have gone through the roof. That is one noticeable thing when you view players of today versus players of yesterday. So, I think the point guards would do 'slightly' worse. Also, when Magic played, the fact that he was so tall and could handle was unique. Now, lots of players could do it.

I actually think Bird might translate a little better because shooting is shooting. It hasn't changed or evolved much since then. Passing too. And that's what Bird did. He shot and he passed.

Bird is really one of the most unique players ever to play in the league. He's kinda like Muggsy Bogues. We may never see another.

Lots of people do what Jordan does. Jordan just does it better.

Last edited by jobaba; 11-06-2013 at 10:11 PM..

Old 11-07-2013, 08:41 AM

18,794 posts, read 14,266,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba
shooting is shooting. It hasn't changed or evolved much since then.
Actually it has. As the link I posted previously shows, the 3 point shot now is much more important than it was then. Curry had over 600 attempts last year; the most Bird ever had was 237. The 3 pt shot came into the league in Bird's rookie year, so coaches and players were just learning how to use it.
The Evolution of the NBA’s Three-Point Shot | HOOPSWORLD | Basketball News & NBA Rumors
Based on that, Bird could arguably be even greater now than he was then. Other than that small disagreement, you make a lot of great points in your post. Another arguably unique player was Wilt Chamberlain--over 7 foot tall and yet ran track & high jumped at the college level.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:47 AM

7,378 posts, read 11,546,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Actually it has. As the link I posted previously shows, the 3 point shot now is much more important than it was then. Curry had over 600 attempts last year; the most Bird ever had was 237. The 3 pt shot came into the league in Bird's rookie year, so coaches and players were just learning how to use it.
The Evolution of the NBA’s Three-Point Shot | HOOPSWORLD | Basketball News & NBA Rumors
Based on that, Bird could arguably be even greater now than he was then. Other than that small disagreement, you make a lot of great points in your post. Another arguably unique player was Wilt Chamberlain--over 7 foot tall and yet ran track & high jumped at the college level.
That is true. Curry and Nash pretty much prove that Bird could not only survive but strive.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:30 PM

3,522 posts, read 3,922,967 times
idk, tim duncan isn't particularly quick, athletic or powerful...yet he gets the job done better than almost anyone..

Old 11-07-2013, 08:02 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,243,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
idk, tim duncan isn't particularly quick, athletic or powerful...yet he gets the job done better than almost anyone..
People will be making this same thread about Dirk Nowitzki in 10-15 years. Teams have sent Kevin Durant, Dwight Howard, Serge Ibaka, Pau Gasol, etc. at him and none could guard him. Teams have put every guy they had over 6'7" on him in the playoffs and none of them could guard him (in recent years, some had success in the past). But that won't stop the next generation of kids from questioning his greatness based on a few youtube videos.

Just wait. "There's no way this skinny, slow, unathletic blonde guy from Germany would be so effective in today's NBA against guys like Andre Wiggins."

Old 11-07-2013, 10:38 PM

8,545 posts, read 8,872,905 times
What people fail to realize is that if those players were playing today their games would adapt to the modern game. They would all still dominate. I can easily see Bird average 25 and 10 in today's NBA.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:38 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,538,449 times
Default Absolutely

The man was incredible and such a fierce competitor. He would excel in ANY era IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or